Early occupants of the north end of Victoria Street, Glossop; Jackson's Buildings and its predecessors.

This article aims to document the development of the shops and business of the eastern side of Victoria Street, between High Street East and the Howardtown Mill gatehouse, using available records in censuses, directories and newspapers. Any additional information will be gratefully received.
I must acknowledge the help of Mike Brown for allowing me to use photos from his collection and providing information which he has gleaned over the years.

1920s
Jackson's Buildings early 1920s

Robert Hamnett, in his newspaper articles of 1913, gave us some information about the initial developments that John Wood, of Howardtown Mills, undertook on the site of what was to become Jackson's Buildings. The first development, in 1827, was the erection of his first gas works. It is thought that the gas must have been used directly in the mill as no evidence of a gas holder is known. On 29 October 1835, John Wood expanded into vacant land bounded on the East and South by the Chapel-en-le-Frith Road (Smithy Fold), on the West by the (then) new branch road leading to the Norfolk Arms (Victoria Street), on the North by land and houses belonging to Thomas Howe and Robert Wagstaffe, numbers 2 to 14a, High Street East. On that land he built offices and houses including a weigh house for Howardtown Mill (see 1 Victoria Street below).

In the days before Jackson's Buildings were developed, the properties north of the mill gatehouse were numbered 1 to 7 in Victoria Street. Numbers 9, 11 and 13 Victoria Street were, as now, those between Collier Street and the Albion Hotel (now the Brook Tavern).

The development of Jackson's Buildings created more properties and demanded a more structured form of renumbering. In December 1899, Isaac Jackson asked Glossop Borough Council if he could give the name Jackson's Buildings to the new buildings which he was erecting at the corner of High Street East & Victoria Street and number the properties within the buildings as such. Councillors took the view that he could call the buildings what he liked and number them as he wished, so long as they fitted in with existing numbers in High Street East and Victoria Street. Thus, the properties which replaced the original 1 to 7 became 1 to 13 Jackson's Buildings, Victoria Street. The property on the corner replaced the original 2 to 6 High Street East and retained those numbers.

Before Jackson's Buildings.

The manner in which properties were referenced (e.g. Bridge End, Howard's Town) in the directories and the censuses of 1841 and 1851, and the use of High Street with no numbering in 1861, mean that it is difficult to pinpoint occupants of properties before the 1870s. In some cases, though, the recurrence of the same names close to each other in successive censuses makes it possible to work out.

2 High Street East/Victoria Street corner.

In his Local Events of the Past column in the Glossop-dale Chronicle and North Derbyshire Reporter of 13 August 1909, Hamnett recalled that Thomas Howe, son of Rev. Christopher Howe, was one of the first persons to open a drapers shop in Glossop, at the corner of High Street East and Victoria Street. Thomas Howe is listed in all of the available directories between 1824/5 and 1835. He subsequently emigrated to Australia but, given that he was referred to in John Wood's lease of 29 October 1835 (above) he appears to have still been there at that date.

Looking at the 1851 census records it would appear (though not certain) that the occupant at the time was Robert Humble, Linen & woollen draper. He was also listed in Slater's directory of 1850 as a linen draper at Howard's Town.

The next occupant we can be sure of was Joseph Mellor, grocer and corn dealer. He is listed at number 2 in the 1871 census and advertised his business at what he called Victoria House in the Glossop Record of 21 May 1870. Comparing names between 1871 and 1861 enables us to see that the same family was there in 1861. Morris's directory of 1878 lists John Mellor as a wholesale and retail grocer and corn dealer at Victoria House, High street and Victoria street. In the Glossop-dale Chronicle and North Derbyshire Reporter of 6 August 1881, John Mellor advertised his business for sale and the house and shop (Victoria House, 2 High Street East) to be let as he was retiring. In the advertisement he said that the business had been established upwards of 50 years, presumably harking back to the time of Thomas Howe.

In the Glossop-dale Chronicle and North Derbyshire Reporter of 18 March 1882, William Webb advertised that he had succeeded to John Mellor at High Street and Victoria Street but it seems that the business didn't last. The newspaper of 1 July 1882 carried another advertisement, from J. Mellor, 3a High Street, stating that the shop was to let again.

It was then that Isaac Jackson came on the scene. By December 1883 he was advertising his range of waterproof goods available from 2 (sic) Victoria Street and 2 High Street East. The success of his business led to him needing to expand. The Glossop-dale Chronicle and North Derbyshire Reporter of 23 March 1889 reported on a Council discussion of alleged potential encroachment on Victoria Street as a result of Isaac Jackson altering his shop.

Eventually, Isaac Jackson, moved his business to premises on Norfolk Street, closer to his house at Holly Mount. That paved the way for a business which would stay on the site for many years. The Glossop-dale Chronicle and North Derbyshire Reporter of 21 August 1891 carried an advertisement from George Brownson of Hyde, announcing that he would shortly open up a branch shop at 2 High Street East, Glossop (The shop lately occupied by Mr. Isaac Jackson).

1 Victoria Street.

Despite John Wood building his offices and houses from 1835 it seems to have taken another 30 years or so for businesses to develop at the town centre end of Victoria Street. That end of Victoria Street isn't mentioned in an available directory until Harrod's of 1870 and the first census to mention it is 1871.

The 1871 census recorded Francis Whittingham, brush manufacturer, at number 1 Victoria Street. He had been listed as Whittington in Harrod's directory of 1870. The Glossop-dale Chronicle and North Derbyshire Reporter of 27 February 1875 carried an advertisement from John Wood & Bros of Howardtown Mills. It stated that a house and shop, then in the occupation of Francis Whittingham & Son, would be available to let after 31 March. The tenant would have charge of a large platform weighing machine in connection with the shop, half of the somewhat considerable profits from which went to the tenant. The Whittingham family moved to 10 High Street East.

The Post Office directory of 1876 lists Joseph Downs, clogger, at number 1. He is also listed in Morris's directory of 1878 and Kelly's of 1881. In the 1881 census his occupation is given as lodge keeper. He later appears to have moved to number 3 Victoria Street (see below).

Henry Rowarth advertisement 1887
Henry Rowarth's advertisement 1887.

In Kelly's directory of 1888, Henry Rowarth, hay & straw dealer, is listed at 1 and 3 Victoria Street. He had advertised the fact that he had succeeded his late father in the Glossop-dale Chronicle and North Derbyshire Reporter of 4 June 1887. They were probably lock up premises as he is recorded in the 1881 and 1891 censuses as living at Hadfield Cross.

An advertisement in the Glossop-dale Chronicle and North Derbyshire Reporter of 3 March 1899 stated that George Brownson's shop had removed to temporary premises at 1 Victoria Street. This was, presumably, so that Isaac Jackson could get on with the rebuilding of 2 to 6 High Street East.

1a Victoria Street.

In an advertisement in the Glossop-dale Chronicle and North Derbyshire Reporter of 9 April 1887, Samuel Hollingworth, Newsagent, stationer &c, announced he had moved to 1a Victoria Street, corner of High Street East. A further advertisement on 7 May said that his business was next door to Mr Jackson, saddler. The shop was obviously a lock up as he is recorded in the 1891 census as living at 25 Simmondley Lane. By that time he had also become a Certified Bailiff under the Law of Distress Amendment Act.

Entries in the various directories give Samuel's address as 1a but it was given as 1 Victoria Street when it was announced, in the Glossop-dale Chronicle and North Derbyshire Reporter of 28 April 1899, that Samuel had sold the business to George Meakin, late Headmaster of Dinting School. An advertisement in the Glossop-dale Chronicle and North Derbyshire Reporter of 7 July 1899 gives George Meakin's address as 1a Victoria Street.

Sale of business at 1 Victoria Street, 1899
Sale of business at 1 Victoria Street, 1899 .

3 Victoria Street.

When the death of Mary Downs, wife of Joseph, was reported in the Glossop-dale Chronicle and North Derbyshire Reporter of 28 February 1885 the address was given as number 3. By the time his son Samuel died on 5 July 1886, the family had moved to Milltown.

In the Glossop-dale Chronicle and North Derbyshire Reporter of 5 May 1888, Mrs E. Mapleston announced that she intended to open the Victoria Dining Rooms at 3 Victoria Street on 4 May. Apart from a similar advertisement the following week, no further record of the Victoria Dining Rooms has been found so perhaps it fell through. Whether that was before or after Henry Rowarth was using the premises is unknown.

Kelly's directory of 1891 records Thomas Holdgate as a shopkeeper at 3 Victoria Street. That was in addition to the premises he had where he lived, at 5 Milltown.

By 1895 the shop had become a fishmongers. The Post Office directory of that year lists William Henry Brooks, who had been in business at 12 High Street East at the time of the 1891 census. He is recorded in the 1901 census as living at 4 Robinson's Court, Norfolk Street, but is not mentioned in the Kelly directories of 1899 and 1900 so it appears that he was no longer in business at Victoria Street by then.

5 Victoria Street.

The first record found of number 5 was also in Harrod's directory of 1870 when William Kelsall, saddler, is listed. In the 1871 census the property is listed as a lock up shop. In the 1881 census he was recorded at 12 Old Cross but may have still been in business, the shop being a lock up. He died on 5 February 1886.

An advertisement in the Glossop-dale Chronicle and North Derbyshire Reporter of 16 July 1887 announced that William Ashton had opened The People's Tea Stores at 5 Victoria Street. He is listed there in Kelly's directory of 1888, the number being 5B for some reason.

William Ashton advertisement 1887
William Ashton's advertisement 1887.

Kelly's directory of 1891 lists Herbert Kent, boot maker. He appears to have had his main shop at 92 Station Road, Hadfield, where he is recorded in the 1891 census. Herbert appears not to have stayed long as both 1895 directories (Post Office and Bulmer's) list John Brown bootmaker at number 5 (5a in the Post Office directory). John Brown appears not to have stayed long either as Kelly's directories of 1899 and 1900 list him as in business at 121 High Street West & 34 Victoria Street

7 Victoria Street.

Number 7 was another lock up shop but benefitted from a long standing family tenancy. Harrod's directory of 1870 lists John Darwent as a brazier, tinner, &c. In later directories he is listed as an ironmonger & gas & water fitter, being recorded all the way up to 1891 when the business was taken over by his son, William Henry Darwent, who was also secretary to the Conservative Club and was there for the rest of the decade and beyond.

The Replacement by Jackson's Buildings.

Unsurprisingly, the work happened over several years but gaps in available records mean that only two areas can be dated with accuracy – the building housing numbers 3 and 5, which bears a date stone of 1896, and the corner building, 2 to 6 High Street East/Victoria Street which, on completion of the works, bore a date stone of 1900 and the name Jackson's Buildings.

It would appear that the new building which became 3 and 5 Jackson's Buildings was erected first and that allowed George Meakin to move so that the original 1, 1a and 3 Victoria Street could be redeveloped as an enlarged corner property and 1 Jackson's Buildings.

It would also appear that 7 Victoria Street (where William Darwent remained in business) became 9 Jackson's Buildings, that 5 Victoria Street became 7 Jackson's Buildings and that numbers 11 and 13 Jackson's Buildings were newly built, replacing earlier properties associated with Howardtown Mills.

The Glossop-dale Chronicle and North Derbyshire Reporter of 11 April 1902 carried a report headed An Enterprising Glossopian which read:
Spirited enterprise, whilst generally and deservedly conferring benefit on the man at the helm, may also mean much for the welfare of the town. Hence one cannot fail to recognise the success which has attended the enterprising efforts of one of our best known Glossopians. From small beginnings, Mr Isaac Jackson has rapidly forged ahead, and one of his efforts, in which he has been much interested, has practically resulted in the conversion of an old block of buildings into one of the finest groups of property in the town. In response to invitation, the writer this week inspected a portion of the handsome shops now reared at the junction of High Street and Victoria Street, and the conversion of the place from old and unsightly buildings into palatial business premises shows how much thought and ingenuity has been given to the work. The shops are splendidly finished and fitted with modern requirements, and the latest addition on which the workmen are now engaged, is to be made to include all the up-to-date accessories of a business establishment. At the rear of the fine block of shops are stables, slaughter-houses, cart sheds, and other outbuildings, all available space being ingeniously utilised, and it is intended to place a verandah over the whole length of the block of ten shops from Wood's Mill to High Street East, to form an arcade such as is soon at Southport and other places. It is calculated that Mr Jackson has spent teens of thousands of pounds in improving his property in various parts of the town, and in do doing is anxious that Glossop should possess some of the finest business establishments which thought and money can devise. He has personally taken the greatest interest in the present scheme.

The verandahs were erected in 1907. A report in the Glossop-dale Chronicle and North Derbyshire Reporter of 31 July 1908, headed An Attractive Business Centre – The Arcade – By “Busy Bee” read:
In looking through the principal business thoroughfare of the town of Glossop, and comparing it with what it was some years ago, it is to be seen that the slow but progressive element has made many changes, but still there is room for more architectural improvements in the business premises in many parts of the Borough. The greatest improvement has undoubtedly been done by Mr. Isaac Jackson who, regardless of expense, has made what was an unsightly row of buildings into a magnificent structure of colonial shops, stretching from High Street East, along Victoria Street right to the very doors of that busy hive of industry Howardtown Mills. The commanding appearance of this splendid array of shops, all beautifully mirrored and decorated in the newest style of the shopbuilders' craft, are there made attractive to the intending purchasers of the various commodities on view. Both masculine and feminine visitors can traverse this Arcadian emporium of merchandise and find something to suit their requirements. The imposing sight of Jackson's Arcade, as seen from a distance, is now well known to visitors, and the ratepayers should naturally feel proud that they have amongst them a fellow townsman who has done so much to beautify and improve this part of the town's surroundings. The only regrettable sight is the empty large shop we see along the High Street side of Jackson's Arcade. Here is a chance for the smart and energetic businessman to secure such a central position, that placing the right article at the right price before the public be bound to command success, and success is only attained in these go ahead days by smart buying and smart display after you have bought. An article well displayed is half sold, and effective display can only be done when you have the surroundings suitable to the display. Here in Jackson's Arcade is the key to success, but the question with many a young man, after serving years behind the counter and assisting to heap up a pile for his employer is debarred from commencing on his own account for lack of means. Many could we name in the three adjoining shires who have started in a very small way and built up a fine business concern. What has been done in the past can be done now. We therefore advise the aspirant to look round amongst their friends, and we know several who would assist by custom and in other substantial ways for the success of the undertaking, when having gained pecuniary help, go ahead work hard, work early and late; in fact, be always on the spot, and by diligent hard work success will be achieved, and straightforward dealings merit its own reward.

2 High Street East/Victoria Street corner.

Brownson's, from a card posted in 1906
Brownson's, from a card posted in 1906.

As we have seen, Brownson's moved out of the corner property temporarily in 1899. I wasn't long before they moved back, though, as they advertised a pre-removal sale in November 1899 and had completed the move by January 1900. The last directory entry using the Brownson's name was that in Kelly's of 1932. The Kelly directories of 1936 and 1941 list Robinson & Wood, tailors, at 2 High Street East & Victoria Street. The shop continued to trade as Brownson's, though, until January 1954.

1 Jackson's Buildings, Victoria Street.

The property didn't stay empty for long after Brownson's moved as the Glossop-dale Chronicle and North Derbyshire Reporter of 27 July 1900 carried an advertisement for Cash & Company, boot and shoe makers, at Jackson's Buildings, 1 Victoria Street. The company was a long term tenant, being listed in directories up to 1925 as Cash & Co., and from 1928 as Cash & Co. (W. & E. Turner Ltd.). The census of 1911 lists the family of the shop manager, George Pendell, Boot maker & dealer.

Cash & Co advertisement 1901
Cash & Co advertisement 1901.

3 Jackson's Buildings, Victoria Street.

The Young Men's Christian Association occupied rooms in Jackson's Buildings from at least the beginning of 1901. This appears to have been the first floor of number 3 and number 5. The access to the upstairs rooms over numbers 3 and 5 is via a small corridor at number 5, which probably explains the YMCA lettering in the window of number 5 in the photo of Stansfield's shop below.

In an advertisement in the Glossop-dale Chronicle and North Derbyshire Reporter of 4 September 1903, James Robinson, painter & decorator, informed patrons that he had recently opened new and improved business premises under the Y.M.C.A. Rooms. He was moving from 2 Norfolk Street (see The Early Shops and Businesses of the eastern side of Norfolk Street, Glossop).

Kelly's directory of 1908 lists both Glossop Young Men’s Christian Association (S. J. Large, secretary) and James Robinson, painter. The Y.M.C.A. branch closed in 1909 and the Liberal Party moved in. A report on the general election in the Glossop-dale Chronicle and North Derbyshire Reporter of 28 January 1910 refers to The Liberal offices, the former Y.M.C.A. Rooms in Victoria Street.

The property lists for “Jackson's Arcade” in the 1911 Census lists the offices of the High Peak Liberal Association and the lock up shop occupied by Mr Robinson. The latter seems to have moved on shortly afterwards as Kelly's directory of 1912 lists only the High Peak Liberal Association (George Reed, secretary).

The next identified tenant, first found in a report in the Glossop-dale Chronicle and North Derbyshire Reporter of 17 October 1913, was the Argenta Meat Company. They stayed for many years, being listed in all of Kelly's directories between 1925 and 1941. The directories actually give the address as 5 Victoria Street but, as can be seen from the photograph, the shop was definitely at number 3.

1 to 5 Jackson's Buildings, 4 May 1939
1 to 5 Jackson's Buildings, 4 May 1939, opening of the Recruiting Office.

Kelly's directory of 1941 lists the Regent Studio (E. Robinson, proprietor), photographers, at 3 Victoria Street (presumably in the first floor rooms). He must have moved by the time Glossop's first traffic lights were switched on in February 1937 as his previous premises, at 6 High Street East, were occupied by Thomas Whalley, newsagent, by then..

5 Jackson's Buildings, Victoria Street.

It is not clear exactly when George Meakin moved into number 5. The earliest of his advertisements found for number 5 was in the Glossop-dale Chronicle and North Derbyshire Reporter of 9 November 1900 when he advertised his stock of Christmas cards. The last mention of George Meakin in the Glossop-dale Chronicle and North Derbyshire Reporter was on 24 April 1903. By the following week, Charley Briggs had taken over the shop. He stayed until November 1908. On 20 November 1908 Briggs was listed at 5 Victoria Street and the following week at 1 High Street West (see Number 1 High Street West, Glossop's Noted Corner Shop).

Meakin's advertisement 1901
Meakin's advertisement 1901.

The property list for the 1911 census includes the private residence of P.C. John Ramsey, with his wife & son, and a lock up shop occupied by Johnson Brothers. The earliest reference found to Johnson Brothers is in the Glossop-dale Chronicle and North Derbyshire Reporter of 22 July 1910 when they advertised rooms over the shop to let.

During the first world war the Employment Exchange was moved from 16 High Street East to 5 Jackson's Buildings. It remained there until being replaced by the new building in Howard Street in 1937.

In 1939 Glossop was chosen to be home to two companies of the Royal Corps of Signals (Territorial Army). A Recruiting Office was established in the former Employment Exchange premises, being opened on 4 May 1939 (photo above).
The listing in the 1939 register indicates that the upstairs accommodation of number 5, and number 7, was occupied by Eric B. Hall, Clerk to the Town Clerk for all Air Raid Precaution services.

7 Jackson's Buildings, Victoria Street.

7 Jackson's Buildings about October 1902
7 Jackson's Buildings about October 1902 .

An advertisement in the Glossop-dale Chronicle and North Derbyshire Reporter of 11 April 1902 announced that J. H. Stansfield, sanitary engineer and plumber &c, would open the new shop in Jackson's Buildings on Friday April 18th 1902. John Henry Stansfield died, aged 30, on 4 May 1904 but his wife, Elizabeth, carried on the business for more than ten years. An advertisement by Isaac Jackson in the Glossop-dale Chronicle and North Derbyshire Reporter of 8 January 1915 stated “To let good shop, house and workshop, lately occupied by Stansfields.”. The shop proved difficult to let as the advertisements ran for the rest of the year, which is where available records finish.

9 Jackson's Buildings, Victoria Street.

The 1901 census lists the family of William H. Darwent, Plumber & ironmonger (see above at 7 Victoria Street). Isaac Jackson, in the Glossop-dale Chronicle and North Derbyshire Reporter of 18 April 1902, advertised that the shop occupied by W. H. Darwent would be at liberty from June 25th. William Darwent moved his business to 1 High Street East.

At the time of the 1902 municipal election, polling day being 1 November, the property was being used as the Liberal Committee Rooms.

The listing in the 1911 census is for a house & shop, occupied by William Robinson with his wife and nephews. William was described as a Clothier's manager. He was manager of Brownson's.

Tweedale's advertisement 1926
Tweedale's advertisement 1926.

The next identified occupants of number 9 are Frederick Tweedale and his family, who ran their electrical, wireless and music business there from the early 1920s until the early 1970s.

11 Jackson's Buildings, Victoria Street (Knutsford House).

An advertisement in the Glossop-dale Chronicle and North Derbyshire Reporter of 12 May 1899 stated that Henry Wright would be moving his drapery business from 79 High Street West to one of the newly erected shops in Victoria Street, which he named Knutsford House, on Friday 19 May 1899. He wasn't there all that long as he announced, in the Glossop-dale Chronicle and North Derbyshire Reporter of 26 February 1904 that he was having a clearance sale of drapery goods as he was giving up his business.

Wright's advertisement 1901
Wright's advertisement 1901.

The shop was taken over by Mrs Maria Ruth Goddard, fancy draper and smallware dealer, who was recorded in the 1911 census in residence with her son and daughter. It is known that the family had been there for several years as the Glossop-dale Chronicle and North Derbyshire Reporter of 12 October 1906 reported the death of another daughter, Elizabeth Ann (Cissy) Goddard. Maria Goddard was listed in Kelly's directories of 1912 and 1925.

No further directory entries have been found but the entry in the 1939 register is for Elizabeth Quarrell who ran a ladies wear shop.

13 Jackson's Buildings, Victoria Street (Bridge End House).

Amelia Hadfield's advertisement 1901
Amelia Hadfield's advertisement 1901.

The Glossop-dale Chronicle and North Derbyshire Reporter of 7 July 1899 lists Amelia Hadfield, baker & confectioner, at Bridge End, Victoria Street. The newspaper of 4 August 1899 carried an advertisement stating that Amelia Hadfield, now residing at Bridge End House, Victoria Street (confectioner's shop), was applying for a licence to sell Sweets (British wines) there. She stated that she had entered the premises on 24 May 1899. Isaac Jackson of Holly Bank was named as the owner of the property. Amelia Hadfield stayed for a little over 3 years. In the newspaper of 8 August 1902 she gave notice that she was applying for a Sweets licence for 12 Norfolk Street (see The Early Shops and Businesses of the eastern side of Norfolk Street, Glossop). In the Glossop-dale Chronicle and North Derbyshire Reporter of 26 December 1902, Isaac Jackson advertised that a Confectioner's shop would be at liberty soon; now occupied by Miss Hadfield.

Mortons advertisement 1927
Mortons advertisement 1927.

The shop was taken over by Walter Morton, a joiner of 27 Duke Street, who advertised in the Glossop-dale Chronicle and North Derbyshire Reporter of 13 February 1903 that he intended to apply for a licence to sell "Sweets" at Bridge End House which he rented, as a shop and dwelling, from Isaac Jackson. In the 1911 census, Walter was still a joiner, the entry showing that his daughters, May & Esther, were the confectioners.

Hartley's advertisement 1928
Hartley's advertisement 1928.

Kelly's directory of 1928 listed Mortons but by September that year the shop had been taken over by Archibald Smith Hartley, who was there until the 1940s.

Unidentified.

These references have been found to premises in Jackson's Buildings but it has not been possible, so far, to identify which properties they relate to.

The Glossop-dale Chronicle and North Derbyshire Reporter of 1 August 1902 carried a report of a serious incident - On Tuesday evening about eight o'clock a commotion was caused in the vicinity of Victoria Street. Several people had just entered the shop in Jackson's Buildings at present occupied by Messrs J. Wright and Co. Ltd. (gas cooking stove manufacturers), when a shot was fired into a large plate glass window. Had it happened a few minutes earlier the affair might have been more serious. We understand that the police are investigating the affair.

In the Glossop-dale Chronicle and North Derbyshire Reporter of 18 September 1903, M. Jackson announced he had opened a shop for the sale of fish, game, poultry, tinned and potted goods &c.

The Glossop-dale Chronicle and North Derbyshire Reporter of 30 September 1904 advertised that a servant girl was wanted at Mrs Ollerenshaw's, Jackson's Buildings, Victoria Street. The following month (28 October) James Ollerenshaw announced that he had opened a shop selling hats and other items for gents and boys. The last advert found for the business, on 20 July 1906, was for a respectable boy to work in the business.



Return to GJH.me Home Page, Return to Glossop Area Local Histories index.


Last updated: 25 February 2022