The publication of local newspapers was suppressed for many years by the cost, not least the tax introduced by the Stamp Act of 1712 and that on advertisements, which increased the price of newspapers to more than could be afforded by mass readership. Places like Manchester, Chester, Derby and Sheffield had newspapers in the 18th century but it wasn't until the taxes disappeared that the price of local newspapers could be reduced sufficiently to make them viable for publication in most smaller towns. Stamp duty was reduced in 1836, and then abolished in 1855, and the advertisement duty was abolished in 1853.
It is often stated that the first weekly local newspaper published in Glossop was Daniel Woodhead's Glossop Dale Chronicle & North Derbyshire Reporter, first published in January 1859, but was that really the case? There are indications that Daniel Woodhead was beaten to it by Lewis Lister.
Both Lewis and his father were corn millers but Lewis changed direction, being listed in the Post Office Directory of 1855 as a bookseller, stationer, bookbinder & printer at Henry street. It seems a somewhat radical move so why did Lewis Lister stop being a corn miller and become a printer? The answer is probably that he could no longer carry on being a corn miller. John Lister died on 2 December 1852 and his will, proved on 31 January 1853, stated "I will that the trade be given up and the horse and carts be sold and the Mill as soon as possible given up.”.
Lister's Glossop Advertiser and Monthly Herald masthead
Lewis published his first known newspaper in 1854. Lister's Glossop Advertiser and Monthly Herald was, as the title suggests, a monthly rather than weekly publication. It was obviously funded by advertising as it was given away free. Note the tax stamp just below the masthead.
It is not known how long Lister's Glossop Advertiser and Monthly Herald continued to be published but Lewis Lister is recorded in White's Directory of Derbyshire & Sheffield 1857 as a printer in Norfolk Square. What is known is that Lewis published the Glossop Record (originally titled The Record for Glossop, Hyde, Mottram, Compstall, Hayfield, Chapel-en-le-Frith, New Mills, Disley, Etc., Etc.) from 2 July 1859, by which time he had moved to “The Record Office”, Bernard Street.
The Record masthead
It is that date of 2 July 1859 which is the basis for the claim that the Chronicle was the first weekly local newspaper published in Glossop. However, that first issue of the Record notes that, whilst the parishes of Glossop and Mottram had extensive populations, “Hitherto, no newspaper has been edited, printed and published in either of these two parishes”. Additionally, in a letter from “J.B.S.” in the same issue it is stated that Glossop “needs a newspaper of its own; not one in which, as heretofore, an odd column may occasionally be given to chronicle its news..............”. One has to wonder whether the use of the word “chronicle” implies that Daniel Woodhead's paper was not truly “local”.
In the second issue of the Record (and for a few weeks following) we find a notice which states that monies due to the Glossop, Hyde and Mottram Record up to 26 June 1859 should be paid to Lewis Lister.
The question arises, therefore, did Lewis Lister convert his monthly paper into the Glossop, Hyde and Mottram Record before retitling it in 1859 or had he acquired the latter from its previous owners? Sadly, lack of surviving records means we may never know.
At the time of the 1861 census Lewis was a letterpress printer employing 4 men and 1 apprentice, of Bernard Street. In the 1871 census he was recorded as a Master Printer employing 2 men and 2 boys, 46 Bernard Street.
The Newspaper and Press Directory of 1871 stated that the Glossop Record had been established on January 1, 1859 (though that may not be accurate given the inaccuracy of the similar date for the Chronicle (see below)), and that it “Circulates through the greater part of the High Peak of Derbyshire, and the borders of North Cheshire.” and “Advocates Liberal principles, and pays great attention to the chronicling of the local news of the district.”
Lewis Lister advertised the Glossop Record in the directory, stating that it “Was the first newspaper printed in Glossop, and has a guaranteed circulation in the borough of Glossop of ten times the number of any other newspaper. It is also extensively circulated in the neighbouring towns and villages in North Derbyshire. The Record is a family newspaper, containing a summary of the news of the week, and full reports of anything of local interest. As an advertising medium, the Record is, from its extensive circulation, one of the best in North Derbyshire; and the terms for advertising are strictly moderate.”.
In its issue of 19 April 1871, the Glossop Record announced that it would, from the next issue on 6 May, be named the Glossop and Hyde Record and be enlarged from 4 to 8 pages. The impending publication of a newspaper named the Glossop Standard was also advertised in several issues of the Glossop Record in April 1871. Unfortunately it appears that no copies of the either paper have survived.
As with the Glossop and Hyde Record, the first issue of the Standard was dated 6 May 6 1871. During the following months Lewis Lister was sued, and had to pay damages, for breach of copyright by the owner of the London Journal for republishing a number of its stories in the Glossop Conservative Standard. No references to the title have been found after June 1872 so it is not know how long it (and the Glossop & Hyde Record) ran for. However, the Post Office Directory of 1876 lists the Glossop & Hyde Record & Conservative Standard and the Glossop Record Printing Co. (John F. Lister, manager) at Arundel Street. John Fillingham Lister was Lewis and Mary's second son. It would seem that, by that time, the family was more interested in their fledgling piano dealership, for which John and his older brother William Henry (who had been agent for the Hyde & Glossop Weekly News, and North Cheshire Herald) moved to London around 1878. In the 1881 census, Lewis is living at 3 Freetown and his occupation is Former Letterpress Printer, whilst Kelly's Directory of the same year lists him as a piano dealer of 3 Freetown.
Glossop Dale Chronicle & North Derbyshire Reporter
The earliest mention found of Daniel Woodhead is in the Post Office Directory of 1855, as a stationer, bookseller, printer, bookbinder, newsagent, & agent to the Atlas fire & life office, High Street. According to an article in the Glossop Chronicle & Advertiser of 9 July 1937, the premises later became the Co-op Cafe. That was not the case though. No definite address, other than High Street, has been found of the premises Daniel Woodhead was using at the time, but he moved in December 1859 to "more extensive premises" at 65 High Street. He didn't move to number 50 until several years later.
The oldest surviving copy of the Glossop Dale Chronicle & North Derbyshire Reporter is number 45, dated 5 November 1859. The initial publication date of January 1859 is obtained from an advertisement in Morris's Directory of 1878 which is reproduced lower down this page.
The Newspaper and Press Directory of 1871 said that the Glossop Dale Chronicle was “Established January 1, 1860”, obviously an inaccurate statement. It went on to say that it was a Liberal newspaper that “Circulates through the parish of Glossop, the towns and villages of the High Peak, and the vicinity. Advocates the interests of England, and the rights of the English nation. Is a general and local newspaper, and contains varieties in biography and literature.”.
Daniel Woodhead died on 16 January 1872. For just over five years Daniel's widow, Ann, ran both the stationery &c business and the newspaper, which was managed by Edward Oliver. In early 1877 the newspaper (which was already supporting Conservative politics) was sold to “a Company of Conservative Gentlemen” (apparently headed by Mrs Anne Kershaw Wood). A new office was opened at 18 Norfolk Street in February though the paper continued to be published under Ann Woodhead's name until it was fully set up. The first issue officially under the new management was that of 21 April 1877.
The 1878 directory lists Glossop Dale Chronicle, offices 18 Norfolk street; published every Saturday for the proprietors, The “Glossop Dale Chronicle” Printing Co., by James H. Goldsmith. In a second entry, James Goldsmith is described as manager and editor.
Chronicle advert, 1878 directory
In Kelly's Directory of 1881 we find entries for Glossop Dale Chronicle & North Derbyshire Reporter (Chronicle Printing Co. proprietors), Norfolk Street, and John Buttery, editor & manager of the Chronicle Printing Co., living at 14 Princes Street.
Some seven years later the entry in the Kelly Directory named William Sheppard as the proprietor. In Bulmer's Directory of 1895, William Sheppard is listed as a newspaper proprietor, printer, & bookbinder in Norfolk Street with his home at 3 Simmondley Lane.
By the time of Kelly's Directory of 1899 the management had changed again. The directory lists Glossop Dale Chronicle & North Derbyshire Reporter (Glossop Dale Chronicle Printing & Publishing Co. Lim. proprietors; published friday), 18 Norfolk street (Frederick H. Brock, manager). Mr Brock lived at 77 Primrose Lane.
It appears that Mr Brock soon moved on as the Derby & District Trades Directory of 1903 lists “Glossop-Dale Chronicle,” “North Derbyshire and North Cheshire Reporter,” “Hadfield, Hollingworth, Tintwistle, and High Peak Gazette”; published Friday mornings; price one penny. Samuel Beeley was manager of the “Glossop Dale Chronicle” Printing and Publishing Co., Ltd., 18 Norfolk street. Similar listings appear in Kelly's directories of 1908 and 1912.
Chronicle office, 1909, Norfolk Street
Glossop Times and North Derbyshire Advertiser
The Derbyshire Times and Chesterfield Herald of 8 May 1869 carried the advertisement reproduced below.
The new paper was not a true Glossop local paper but a special edition of the Derbyshire Times to cover the Glossop area.
The newspaper was first published in January 1871 as the Glossop Advertiser and High Peak Herald, by Thomas Allard Pettit and William Mather from premises at 4 Market Street, which is listed in the 1871 census as Printing Office Lock Up (Thomas Pettit is listed with his family at 18 High Street East whilst William Mather and his wife lived at 40 Surrey Street).
The Newspaper and Press Directory of 1871 said that the paper was “Established January 1870”, which was obviously another inaccuracy. It went on to say that it “Circulates in Glossop and the High Peak district. Advocates the principles of the Liberal party. All the news of the High Peak district appears in its pages”.
In their advertisement Pettit & Mather described the paper as “The recognized organ of the Liberal party in North Derbyshire, and the largest and best conducted paper in the division.
40 columns. 1d. The large circulation of this paper is throughout the High Peak district, and it offers peculiar advantages to advertisers. Printed and published at Market Street, Glossop, every Saturday, by Messrs. T. A. Pettit and W. Mather.”
The title of the paper changed over time and in the Post Office Directory of 1876 it is listed as the North Derbyshire & North Cheshire Advertiser (Thomas Allard Pettit, proprietor), High Street West (probably number 27 where Thomas's brother, Edwin, was a bookseller & stationer).
The entry in Morris's Directory of 1878 tells us that the paper had moved to offices in Howard Street, Glossop, and also had offices in Station Road, Hadfield. A similar entry is found in Kelly's Directory of 1881.
Pettit advert 1878 directory.
Thomas Pettit subsequently emigrated to Australia and Edwin took the business over. The masthead of the North Derbyshire & North Cheshire Advertiser and Glossop and High Peak Herald for Friday March 20 1885 says it is “Printed by Edwin Walter Pettit of High Street West and published by him at his Steam Printing Offices, Howard Street”.
The control of the Chronicle by the local Conservatives prompted Edward Partington, the leader of Glossop's Liberals, to obtain an interest in the Advertiser. James H. Goldsmith, formerly of the Chronicle, became editor but Edwin Pettit still described himself as Printer Manager in the 1891 census.
In Kelly's Directory of 1891 the paper is listed as being published by the Advertiser Printing & Publishing Co. Limited of Howard Street. John Kidd Hollingbery of Howard Chambers, Howard Street is listed as company secretary.
The listing in Bulmer's Directory of 1895 tells us that the company was managed by William Widdup and the secretary was A. Thorniley. At the time, Edwin Pettit was running a grocery business at Market Street, Hollingworth but he did retain an interest in the paper. In the Derby & District Trades Directory of 1903 he is listed as manager of the paper. Edwin described himself as a newspaper manager in the 1911 census. The same census tells us that the editor was then Samuel Thomas Ashton, living in Sunlaws Street.
The years of and immediately after the first world war brought many changes. Anne Kershaw Wood died in 1914, and Sir Edward Partington (created Baron Doverdale in 1917) moved to Westwood Park near Droitwich. The change which had the major effect on Glossop's local papers was the increase in printing costs which triggered the amalgamation of not just the two newspapers but also four general printing firms of long standing in the town.
The Sheffield Daily Telegraph of 4 June 1921 reported the formation of the resulting company, Glossop Printers Ltd:
Glossop Printers Ltd, Private company Registered 31 May 1921. Capital £20,000 in £1 shares.
To take over the business of printers, stationers and booksellers carried on
(1) by T. Grant at Market Street, Glossop as "Schofield and Grant";
(2) by J. T. Witham at High Street West, Glossop;
(3) by J. W. Fernaly at Station Road, Hadfield and
(4) by W. H. Irlam and Co. Ltd. at Surrey Street, Glossop;
(5) the business of printers, newspaper publishers, stationers and bookbinders carried on by the "Glossop Dale Chronicle" Printing and Publishing Co., Ltd at Norfolk Street, Glossop and
(6) the business of a printer, newspaper, publisher, stationer and bookbinder carried on by S. T. Ashton at Howard Street, Glossop, the "Glossop Advertiser" Printing and Publishing
Registered Office: 6 Howard Street, Glossop The first directors of the new company were: T. Grant, S. T. Ashton, H. Stapley, J. W. Fernaly, J. W. I. Workington and J. T. Whitham.
The two newspapers, though published by the same company from Howard Street (the Chronicle moved from Norfolk Street), continued to be issued under their former titles, with editions for the wider High Peak.
In Kelly's directory of 1925 are listed: Glossop Advertiser, Glossop Dale Chronicle, High Peak Advertiser and High Peak Chronicle, all under the auspices of Glossop Printers Ltd. proprietors & publishers ; 6 Howard Street
The same listings (with the addition of the telephone number 67) appear in the directories of 1928, 1932 and 1936.
The last issues of the separate “Glossop Chronicle” and “Glossop Advertiser” were published on 2 July 1937. The following week they appeared as a combined paper, the “Glossop Chronicle and Advertiser”, as part of the “Reporter” chain of newspapers owned by J. Andrew & Co. Ltd. The successors to that company continue to publish the Glossop Chronicle today.
The Glossop Express
In an article in the Glossop Chronicle and Advertiser of 7 June 1957, Joseph Dempsey Doyle, referred to another newspaper, The Glossop Express, saying that it was printed and published at Railway Street, Glossop, by Albert Edward Schofield, starting just after the initial publication of the Advertiser.
Alfred Ernest Schofield was the son of Charles Schofield who had been a printer, bookbinder & stationer at Norfolk Street since at least 1850 when he was listed in Slater's Royal National Directory (as Schofield and Grant the company was one of those involved in the formation of Glossop Printers in 1921).
Despite extensive searches, no other reference to the Glossop Express has been found.