Whitfield St. James Church, Centenary 1946.


CLERGY &OFFICIALS, CENTENARY YEAR, 1946.
Rev. G. S. D. BLACK, B.Sc., Vicar.
Rev. F. ADAMSON, A.K.C., Curate in Charge of St. Luke's.
Churchwardens.
Mr. H. Hall, Vicar’s Warden.
Mr. A. Eyre, People's Warden.
Parochial Church Council.
Secretary: Mr. H. A. Whitehead
Treasurer: Mrs. Hargreaves.
Organist: Mr. Will Bowden.
Choirmaster: Mr. Fred Marsden.
P.C.C. - Ex-Officio.
The Vicar, Rev. F. Adamson, Mr. Hall, Mr. Eyre, Mr. Fielding, Mr. Wood, Mr. Jarman, Mr. Garside, Mr. Orme, Mr. Pickup, Councillor Taylor.
St. James.
Mr. J. E. Robinson, Mr. F. Marsden, Mr. A. Waterhouse, Mrs. Hargreaves, Mr. H. A. Whitehead, Mrs. Leney, Mr. Aveson.
St. Luke’s.
Mr. W. Clarke, Mr. W. Warrington, Mr. A. Greenwood, Miss Phair, Mrs. L. Sims, Mrs. Hall.
SIDESMEN.
St. James.
Sir S. Hill-Wood, A. Waterhouse, W. Bradbury, L. Warner, S. Garside, Councillor J. Taylor, L. Farrell, W. Orme, R. Jarman, J. T. Hyde, J. Horn, L. Dickson, H. A. Whitehead, H. Bowers, J. E. Robinson, J. C. May, F. W. Marsden, W. E. Bramhall, G. Woodhead, W. Lawton, W. Ryan, F. Pickup, B. Goddard, Mrs. Hargreaves, T. Aveson.
St. Luke’s.
Councillor W. Hankinson, A. E. Warrington, W. Clarke, W. Warrington, G. W. Garlick, C. W. Wood, W. H. Green, C. Green, S. Bruckshaw, T. Shepherd, W. Hall, Mrs. Bramwell, Miss E. Phair, Mrs. L. Sims, E. Hadfield, Inspector Amos, Mrs. Hall, Mrs. Cadman, L. Sims, G. Firth, W. Wood, Jnr., D. Alsopp.
Junior Sidesmen. J. Greenwood, B. Bruckshaw, A. Wood

THE VICARS OF WHITFIELD.
Rev. John Teague, 1846-1872.
Rev. Charles I Bruce Ward, 1872-1892.
Rev. Henry Thornton Dudley, 1893-1903.
Rev. William Martin Martin Ellis, 1904-1926.
Rev. Hubert Victor Nicoll Griffith, 1926-1934.
Rev. James Whitehead Cooke, 1934-1941.
Rev. George Saunders Douglas Black, 1942.

St. James’s Church in the new parish of Whitfield.

This parish is constituted under the 6 and 7 Vic c 37 and it comprehends the entire townships of Hadfield, Dinting, and Chunal and parts of the townships of Whitfield, Padfield and Glossop. The population, according to the Census of 1841 is 6,500. The Church was built by voluntary contributions aided by the following grants from Church Building Societies: Lichfield Diocesan Church Extension Society, £ 1,000; Church Commissioners, £1,000; The Incorporated Society, £500; Derby Co-operative Society, £24.

The first stone was laid by the Rt. Rev. Dr. Lonsdale, Lord Bishop of Lichfield on the 27th Sept., 1844 and consecrated by His Lordship on the 8th Sept., 1845.
On the day of the consecration the sermons were preached in the morning by the Bishop and in the afternoon by Rev. Hugh Stowell, M.A., of Manchester and on the following Sunday by the Revs. E. G. Kelly. M.A. incumbent of St. John’s, Sheffield and W. Harris, Chaplain of the Parish Church, Sheffield and Domestic Chaplain to Rt. Hon. Lord Wharncliffe.

Names of the Building Committee: Rev. Robt. S. Bunbury, Thos. Lowe, Thos. W. Mellor, Thos. G. Fearne, John Teague, Messrs. John Wood, Jnr., John Thorneley, Jnr., E. W. Thompson, James Bosley, Robert Kershaw, and Lightly Simpson.
The Committee were much indebted to the Venerable W. A. Shirley, M.A. the then Archdeacon of Derby, for his good services in obtaining the constitution of the District.

The Patronage is vested in the Crown and Diocesan alternately.

First Incumbent John Teague, B.A., late curate of Sheffield and formerly Foundation Scholar of Emmanuel College, Cambridge,.
First Churchwardens: Mr. John Wood, 1846-1848; Mr. E. W. Thompson, 1846-1848.

This extract is taken from the front page of the first churchwardens' account book. In 1844 contracts were drawn up for the building of the church, between Rev. Lowe, John Wood, John Thorneley and Robert Kershaw and the masons, Thomas Longson and Andrew McKnight. The masons’ work, which was to he completed in Sept., 1845, was to cost £3,700, the stone to be obtained from Bray’s Clough, near Moorfield and the workmanship to be “not inferior to that on John Wood's house at Whitfield.” The land for the site of the church and school was bought from the estate of Thomas Dearnaley, of Tintwistle, a schoolmaster who died in 1842, at the price of £110. It was called lower Meadow being bounded by “Holly Cross Lane and Wall Sitch.”

In March, 1846 the first Sunday School met in the clubroom behind the Norfolk Hotel, there being eleven scholars taught by Mrs. Teague. After school each Sunday, a procession was formed which went to the Endowed School at Whitfield for Divine Service. The Sunday School was held in the gallery of the church, after its consecration, until the schools were completed in 1848. The first day school had as teacher Miss Wright who was followed in 1850 by Miss Robinson.

The church had a chancel much shorter than the present one, the galleries ran down both sides from end to end whilst the West gallery extended to the first pair of pillars. Under the West gallery the font was situated. The pews were deal, painted brown and the pulpit was placed higher than the present one. Instead of a prayer desk the Vicar’s seat was ‘like another pulpit’ standing out in front of the chancel at the South Side. The choir, men and women, walked to their places before the service, the Vicar being the only one to be robed. The organ was in the West gallery.

Unfortunately written records of the period when Rev. Teague was Vicar are confined to Parish records and there are no magazines to give a picture of the parish activities.

The pew rents, recorded in the collector’s book, by the clerk Charles Bradbury in 1864, ranged from 1/3 to 7/6 with a quarterly total of about £30.

From 1862 the school Log Book, kept as a diary by Mr. Eckersley the Schoolmaster, gives a vivid portrayal of the distress in Glossop during the “Cotton Panic.”
“Numbers have increased owing to the number of children being out of work. The Headmaster has many Relief Tickets to make out.”
“Children left school before time to line up for soup.”
“Children from the Guardian and Relief Fund caused disorder in the school.”
“Having so many big girls in school I cautioned the Pupil Teachers against showing levity of conduct.”
1863
“The Market School commences late therefore Whitfield children are late.”
“Fifteen left to go to the Market School because they had a free tea.”
“A great many children absent suffering from smallpox.”
“Three died of smallpox.”
“Being ‘All Fools Day’ the children required rather more attention.”
“I constantly find that I have more trouble in getting good order on Monday than any other day - accounted for by the children being allowed more liberty in the Sunday School.”
“I find it impossible to get the children to attend the school tidy on account of the distress. The children are obliged to come in rags.”
There was a dispute between the Relief Committee and the schoolmasters of Glossop as they found that children were being compelled to attend the Market School where the cost was 5d. per week - at Whitfield the charge was 2½d.
“Boy reported to be dead was thought to be dead but afterwards recovered.”
“I have difficulty in getting a good standard of work as the parents cannot afford paper or copy books.”
1864
“Wood's re-opening gradually.”
“Pupil Teacher Downing absent from his lesson this morning on the plea of being tired.”

Attendance and discipline presented troubles in 1871.
“Mr. Wood has settled that Half Timers can change schools whenever they wish. In order to secure them we shall have to allow them to have their own way in every respect.”
18th August. “Some children are commencing already to stay at home cleaning and doing for the Wakes.”
“Many children late this morning stopping in the churchyard watching marriages.”
“Children late watching the circus come to town.”

1872 - Rev. C. B. Ward became the Vicar and in 1873 borrowed £750 for the extension of the Vicarage. At this time the Sunday School numbered 300.
In the same year Mr. Cox was appointed Headmaster.

In 1877 the infant Room was built. This is the end room in the present ‘Old School’ and the stoves were replaced by the boiler.

Talbot St. Mission and Talbot St. School commenced in 1878, the room used being over the shop now occupied by Mr. Ryan. The mistress was Miss Ingham.

Distress amongst the workpeople came again in 1879 and a Whitfield Soup Kitchen was organised.
According to the magazine ‘the people had had a long period of prosperity but were now suffering from short time and low wages.’ Soup and bread were served every Thursday at 11-30 and 5 and it is noted that the teachers helped in the distribution.

Robert Raikes opened the first Sunday School in Gloucester in 1780. To mark the Centenary of this event Mrs. W. Wood built the ‘old portion’ of St. Luke’s School in 1880 and the Headmistress appointed was Miss Tattersall, who is still living in retirement.

Mr. W. P. Fairclough, at the age of 18, was appointed organist and choirmaster of Whitfield Church in 1878 and from that time the magazines contain frequent references to his activities in the parish, giving organ recitals, entertainments and training both Whitfield and St. Luke’s Choirs for special occasions. In 1881 he trained the Talbot St. Mission choir for the anniversary when the collections were £23 2s. 10d. Spurred on by this success Talbot St. formed their own permanent choir a month afterwards. Apparently the Vicar was a musician too, as he sang “I fear no foe” at a concert in aid of the Bell Fund. At this concert W. Cotterill and W. P. Fairclough played the piano.

The parishioners in 1881 enjoyed many trips or ‘outs’ as they were called. The children were conveyed to the Coombs where they played “Twos and Threes” and “Oats and Beans and Barley.” Over 1,000 were in the procession this year and we are assured that the “children had not indulged in rudeness or coarseness.” The choir had a trip to Grimsby and Cleethorpes, provided by the Vicar, and contrary to modern usage expressed thanks to the M.S. And L. Rly. Co. for excellent arrangements. They ‘fell tooth and nail on the substantial meals and enjoyed the boating and rides on the donkeys.’
The Harvest Festival decorations at Whitfield included an arch over the churchyard gate and services were continued on the Monday when crowds of children came to evening service “their behaviour was admirable, no discourteous crowding, meddlesome touching, irreverent word or gesture,” and the writer was “pleased to find more than 32/- in copper” in the Sunday collections.
Unfortunately the Coffee Party was affected by a failure in the gas supply and paraffin lamps had to be used for illumination.
In spite of the loss of many teachers and scholars, who had gone to the newly consecrated church at Dinting, 150 were given prizes for good attendance.
Disraeli’s death was recorded with the remark ‘we could indeed have spared a younger man.’
Evening classes were being held in 1881 at Talbot St. School. Reading, Writing, Arithmetic, Dictation and Composition for 2d. a week; Pitman’s System of Phonography for 4d. a week.

By 1884 the funds had been raised and a peal of eight bells was put in at Whitfield. At the same time Alice Agnes Wood gave the clock for the church tower. On October 12th 1884 The Old Glossop Senior Society rang the first peal, but it was November 27th 1885 when the Whitfield Society recorded their peal of Rent Treble Bob Major, 5,056 changes being rung in 3 hours 2 minutes. On their first trip to the Dukeries the ringers arrived, on their return journey, at Mottram and had to have a special train back to Glossop.
The St. James’ String Band was formed in this year and proved to be a great asset in the social life of the parish for many years, ready too oblige at dramatic performances, concerts, parties, services and Sunday School anniversaries.

A new school was required in 1887 and the first "Grand Bazaar’’ was held in the Drill Hall. The decorations were done, by Womersley's of Leeds, on a grand scale. The stalls represented a Burmese temple, a Canadian Ice Palace, an Indian Temple and to complete the picture the ladies were dressed in costumes in keeping with the decor. £1,400 was raised by this great effort.
7,000 Glossop Sunday School children assembled in the Talbot Fields to celebrate the jubilee of Queen Victoria and the magazine records the laying of foundation organist stones of the Wood’s Baths and Wood's Hospital and the beginning of the work on the new ‘Victoria Park.'
The St. James’ Amateur Dramatic Club was formed with 20 members and promised to give the "Lady of Lyons" - the most beautiful play ever written and from its pure plot and language particularly suited to amateur effort whilst the moral is almost unexceptionable.

The Vicar was celebrating his Silver Wedding in 1888, a suitable presentation being made by the parishioners. Mr. S. Wood for 30 years Superintendent of the Sunday Schools, donor of the organ and who was responsible for the enlargement of the Day Schools, died in May. A short time before, his brother Daniel had died.
Mrs. S. Wood proposed that she would build an apse and have the chancel enlarged and it was suggested that stained glass windows should be placed in the church in memory of the three brothers John, Samuel and Daniel Wood, by the congregation.
The Dramatic Society were exhorted to provide plays which “shall he unexceptionable in their moral tone.” The Sunday School met for the first time in the ‘New School’ but were warned not to forget church service and think that attendance at Sunday School was sufficient.
The Rev. C. Ingledow of Huddersfield preached at Talbot St. ‘a Glossop man for a Glossop pulpit’ but the attendance was affected by an accident to the last train to Glossop on the Saturday evening.
The George St. mothers went in wagonettes to Harewood Lodge, the new Park, Hospital and Baths, then back to George St. where the catering was by the proprietors of the Glossop Coffee Palace, The Vicar hoped that the mothers would patronise the Coffee Palace better than they had done in the past 9 years.
Although there were 1,000 people at the Sunday School Sermons when the Whitfield Brass Band played, the congregation were severely castigated on the analysis of the coins given in the collection.
A Sunday School lecturer stated that “children should learn the books of the bible by heart as a saving of time and for useful learning.’’

In 1892, Rev. C. B. Ward died. He had seen great changes in the parish and played a strong part in the development of the church at Whitfield. The Vicarage had been extended to accommodate his family of ten sons. Outside the parish work he took great interest in sport and had much to do with the development of the North Road Cricket ground.
The new Vicar, Rev. H. T. Dudley, in his first address to the Annual Tea Party forecast many changes to come in the church building which were eventually done in 1896. At St. Luke’s in 1895 an ‘Iron Church’ was built on the land where the present church stands but it was parallel to Fauvel Road.
At Whitfield, a new chancel was built with an apse in 1896, the former chancel being utilised in building the present vestry. The first bay of the West Gallery was removed and the stonework placed in the front of the remaining gallery from which the organ was taken down to its present position. Instead of perspiring blowers working three handles, water power was introduced to fill the bellows of the new instrument. The font was taken from the entrance at the West Door and put in its present position. Pitch pine replaced the brown painted deal and the front of the side galleries was embellished with pitch pine.
Another period of distress was on the town and the Day and Sunday Schools were closed for a period. The Vicar protested vigorously about there having been only one marriage in the church during the year and warned people about the irregular practices in connection with the publication of banns.
Premises were obtained in Charlestown Road for a Church Reading and Recreation Club where men could enjoy a game of billiards or whist, or read papers, magazines and books.
A Parochial Nurse was employed, through the beneficence of the Wood family, and in addition to nursing, Beef Tea and Soup were provided weekly for needy cases. The annual report shows the gifts of nursing requisites and clothing by members of the congregation.

In 1897, a new ‘Baby Room’ was built at Whitfield, the architect giving up his fees to cover the cost of decorating.
F. H. Morris, an assistant was presented with an ebony walking stick by the Football club for his zeal. In order to provide services for the mothers in the Gladstone St. area the ‘Band Room’ was obtained and 100 kneelers with ‘Kneel to pray’ printed on. The parish was divided into districts and a system of district visitors begun to supplement the work of the clergy.

At St. Luke’s in 1898, Miss Tattersall, the Headmistress, left after 17 years service and Mr. Hankinson was appointed. “He comes to us with good testimonials and we feel that under him the school will prosper." The new part of the school for infants was opened in 1898.
At the Field Day, held in the Moorfield Grounds, when all the Sunday Schools of the parish walked together from Freetown, 10 lbs. of nuts and 4 lbs. of 'toffey' was provided for them by friends. The choir, numbering 58, were taken to Morecambe and provided with substantial meals, fitting for a long tiring day, at a cost of £17 2s. 8d.
“Mr. Morris, who has now been with us for three years was presented with a secretaire on the occasion of his marriage.’’

To encourage Sunday School teachers prizes were awarded to them for regular attendance in 1899. Mrs. Hankinson began a long period of service with the G.F.S. at St. Luke’s, helped by Mrs. Wright.
Captain White was helping at Whitfield with the Boys’ Brigade. The new floor of Red Deal in Whitfield School cost £32. Every 4th Sunday the collections at St. Luke’s were to be reserved for ‘extras’ which might be needed when the new church was built.
It was noted with regret that for 37 years the weather at the Sunday School Anniversary had been fine, but this year, it rained.
A cricket club, which was to have great success in the future, was formed at St. Luke’s, with S. T. Ashton as Hon. Secretary and Mr. Hankinson as Hon. Treasurer.
The G.F.S. members joined a Cookery Class “their future husbands will be everlastingly grateful.”
The Social entertainment of this period was provided by 'Drawing Room and Dance.’

1900 and the Vicar writes “The War - never have we been so exercised day by day as since this conflict began.” An urgent appeal was made to the women to knit Tam o’ Shanters, socks and helmets - detailed instructions being given in the magazine.
The children at St. Luke’s were offered prizes for writing an essay entitled "How to behave in Church before, during and at the close of services.” Mr. Eli Hadfield was promoted Lieutenant and given charge of the newly formed Boys’ Brigade at St. Luke's. Mr. Hatch was presented with an illuminated address after 50 years work in the Sunday School. The Nurse made 2,572 visits during the year.
The Choir intended to have a trip from Liverpool to Llandudno but, owing to a severe storm, landed at Bangor. Not having enough money to purchase tickets to Glossop the Vicar had to leave his gold watch in pawn with the station master.
The average number of magazines being sold was 6,192.
At a Recital by Mr. Fairclough the solos “The First Easter Morn” and “O song divine” were sung by Frank Rowbottom ‘whose sweet voice is justly admired.’
Messrs. F. H. Morris and A. C. M. White were appointed Hon. Secretaries for the coming Bazaar.
Mr. Harry Dane was appointed “Harmoniumist” at St. Luke’s. Rev. L. F. Ward was the curate at this time, later he went to Jersey and was to remain there throughout the recent Nazi Occupation.
For the sixth time additions were made to the Whitfield Schools. The Hall had proved inadequate for both Day and Sunday School so Mrs. A. K. Wood promised to have four classrooms added, the upper two to he used for the class of women taught by her and for the young men’s class taught by Mr. A. B. Smith. The two lower rooms were to be leased by the Day School, which now contained 600 scholars whilst the Sunday School had 1,200. Mr. Cox, who had been in failing health for some time, retired and was replaced by Mr. Morris.
Mr. Wm. Swire, who had been a churchwarden, sidesman and school manager died.
For some reason the Annual Tea Party must have caused offence by its low standard, as a writer states that ‘it is not fair to regard the Annual Tea Party as a glorified Coffee Party.’
Arrangements were made for special Coronation Services in church, the children to go afterwards to North Road Football Ground to sing ‘God save the King,’ ‘God Bless the Prince of Wales,’ ‘Auld Lang Syne’ and ‘Home Sweet Home.’
Miss Bradwell was appointed Headmistress of the Whitfield Infants’ School.
The Infants’ Gallery was removed from St. Luke’s School.

In 1903 at St. Luke’s Annual Tea a Cantata was given entitled ‘Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.’ The Iron Church which had been used for 7 years 6 months was to be pulled down as a preparation for the building of the New Church, Arrangements were made to purchase a new Iron Church to serve during the interval, but as land could not be obtained Services had to be held in the School.
As an Easter Gift the Vicar received six months leave of absence and his expenses for a trip to New Zealand, from Mr. S. Hill-Wood. Comparative figures showed that the Sunday School had grown from 1,217 in 1893 to 1,694 in 1903 in the whole parish. It was decided to improve the Day Schools by fitting in electric lighting. J. W. S. Fielding and Jessie Rowbottom gained scholarships to the Glossop Technical School.
The Rev. H. T. Dudley, Vicar, died in 1903. He had been in the parish for only ten years but was in charge during a period of rapid development both in membership and building. The major changes in the Whitfield Church had been made and altered the whole appearance of the structure from what must have been a dark, forbidding atmosphere with dull furnishings to a brighter style. The new chancel by its length and height, oak furnishings and stained glass added dignity and strength of character to the building. Preparations were in hand for the erection of the new St. Luke’s Church and tentative plans had been made to build a church with a great central tower but these were afterwards amended.

The new vicar, Rev. Martin Ellis, who came in 1904, had previously had a parish in Kirklinton, Carlisle, was F.R.G.S., F.Met.S., Member of the Society of Authors and accomplished musician. He had composed some of the music for his farewell service at Carlisle. A man of wide, international interests he spent some time in coaching pupils, from many nations, at the Vicarage. From his holidays it appears that he took a practical interest in visiting foreign countries.
Previous to his induction the font had been carved in order to take away some of its heavy, solid appearance, the cost being obtained from surplus funds which had been obtained for the Baptistry Window ‘a pretty little window by Mr. F. Curtis.’ The coffee party had been replaced by a distribution of sweets and oranges. A blower had to be engaged to supplement the work of the organ motor. The nurse was granted a free pass on the tramcars.
A field was obtained, near High Lawn, for sports, cricket, hockey, football and tennis. Pitches were prepared so that the Whitfield school had first class facilities for sports long before ‘Playing Fields’ were deemed necessary by Local Authorities. Expenses, of course, had to he met by the parish.
At St. Luke's an outbreak of smallpox caused a closure of schools and church for a period.
The new vicar was formally welcomed at a ‘knife and fork tea.’ In 1905, Mrs. A. K. Wood, the donor, laid the corner stone of the new St. Luke’s. A bottle containing a list of Church Officials, current number of the Parish Magazine and the form of service was placed in a cavity beneath the stone, The dedication of the church took place in 1906, the Bishop of Derby officiating. There were now 300 children at the Parish Hall, 400 at St. Luke’s, 850 at the Parish Church and 60 at George St., a total of over 1,600, and 900 children at both Day Schools.
The Church Council was meeting regularly but went to each place of worship in turn.
The Vicar, a man with a pen which wrote strongly on all occasions meriting protest, complains that confetti and rice are being thrown about at weddings - ‘it is a relic of the obscene worship of Vishu.’ Again he deplores the loss of the Harvest Home customs such as the Kenn and Mell Suppers. Throughout his time he is afraid he will not be able to get clerical help. He has only two curates and needs further assistance. But above all, his pen writes without restraint when he considers the Education Bill which Birrell, aided by Lloyd George and Clifford, attempted to put on the statute book. 1906 - an attempt made to abolish Religion in Schools. 1946 - compulsory assemblies and religious teaching in schools ordered by statute.
The Church Council had ‘caught on.’ Cottage services were held in Chunal and Charlestown. The Boys Brigade encamped at Rowarth were ‘rained out’ on their first night. There is an appeal to the parishioners to use the Sunday School Library in greater numbers.
Meetings of protest were held, up and down the town, against the Education Bill and people were assured that Mr. Phillips, a prominent Socialist, would give them something to think about when he spoke in support of the protest at one of these gatherings.
Mr. John Sidebottom and Mr. T. W. Sharpe were admitted Lay Readers by the Bishop. St. Luke’s accepted a contract for the building of an organ by Canacher of Huddersfield at a cost of £500. Bank St. Mission was closed and the New Parish Hall was opened. All the ‘sittings’ were let at Whitfield and more were to be let on the front row of the gallery. St. James’ String Band was still actively playing at Concerts. The pen of the Vicar had weakened - he was presented with an Empire Typewriter and now the keys protested strongly against the ‘Electionitis’ which held the people in a firm grip. Should clergy take part in politics? No says he ‘they have one job and one only.’
ADVERT Bagshaw and Fielding. Closed or Open Glass Funeral Cars. Panelled, Plain or French Polished Oak Coffins. Elegant Wedding Turnouts, Grey or Bay Horses.
ADVERT: LOST, STOLEN or STRAYED a number of Churchpeople whose attendance at church, especially on Sunday morning, leaves much to be desired.

1907. All teachers at the four Sunday Schools were to meet weekly at Whitfield for a preparation class organised by the Vicar. Mr. Morris went on a visit to the U.S.A. and Canada. Mr. Dane was presented with a barometer and glass jar on the occasion of his wedding.
"Nowadays we have no statesmen, only opportunist politicians'' the Vicar.
Captain Parry was appointed to take charge of the Parish Hall and assist the Vicar. Unfortunately the Welcome Tea had to be postponed as Mr. G. T. Ashton, who had played a. large part in the mission life, died suddenly on the day before the party was to be held. The Mission Room at George St. was to provide a club each evening from 6-30 to 9-30 with games, papers and magazines.
The ‘Emma Wood' or Parochial Nurse made 2,181 visits and in the accounts it is noted that £1 3s. 0d. was spent on Soda Water and 2s. 0d. on Spirits. Under the leadership of Mr. John Sidebottom the poor children of George St. and district were provided with clothes and a trip during Wakes Week. Abbot and Smith’s submitted a tender of £710 for repairs, to the Whitfield Organ, to be carried out in 1908. A Male Voice Glee Club was formed by Mr. Dane at St. Luke’s and to the flourishing Cricket Club a Football Club was added. 6,580 Magazines were distributed in 1907.

January, 1908 saw the first meeting of the St. Hilda's Guild at Whitfield, an organisation which was too meet before the 3rd Sunday in each month to prepare for Communion. Already there was a similar Guild for the men of the parish. 200 Sunday School Teachers went to Southport and on arrival had “a substantial breakfast including ham and eggs, chops and steaks and other delicacies.” St. Luke’s was now licensed for marriages. The George St. Mission moved to Chapel St., to ‘The Volunteer Inn.’
On April 28th, Dr. Alcock, organist of the Chapels Royal gave a recital on the newly repaired organ at Whitfield.
The Parish Hall was formally opened on March 8th. The Christmas Singers from St. Luke’s who were regaled at each house with coffee and mince pies, were able to hand in a balance for church use and this was devoted to the purchase of umbrella stands. At the Annual Tea Party - Beef and Ham Sandwiches - the charge was 9d.

In 1909, the Vicar was arranging too take it party to Holland for a week’s holiday.

1910 at St. Luke’s Easter Services, for the first time, there were over 200 Communicants. Men’s Services began at Whitfield and were very well attended for a time. Mr. and Mrs. A. B. Smith celebrated their Silver Wedding and 25 years’ work in the parish amongst the young men and women, both in Church and Sunday School. The Infants at Whitfield entertained the audience at a concert with some old time dances, the Lancers and the Maypole dance.
For a number of years there had been an annual gymnastic display given in the Whitfield School. During this year there was distress owing to unemployment and it was thought that the Anniversary would be affected by it. To provide work for some of the men it was decided to have the churchyard tidied and put into a decent state. The Vicar hoped that there would be good weather for the many people who would have to stay at home for their holidays.

The Bishop, writing to the Deanery, asked in 1911 that provision should he made for the people who had begun to come into the district from Manchester. He also draws attention to people who “pour out every Sunday” by train and go for rambles, suggesting that some type of service might be provided for them.
Miss Maud Hampson, on behalf of her classmates, presented the teacher at Day School with a walking stick and tobacco pouch, a spontaneous effort, arranged by the children as a farewell effort, when Mr. Evans left.
Mr. Eli Hadfield wielded the bat for St. Luke’s to the tune of 36 and 37 in two successive innings; Mr. Barton left the Parish Hall and received a present on going to Canada.
The Rev. A. C. M. White, Curate of Hadfield, preached at the Sunday School Anniversary. Some naughty boys were reprimanded and in danger of serious trouble at the hands of their Sunday School Teachers - “one wonders if the individuals in the gallery who contributed six gelatine lozenges to the collection did so in mistake for sixpences. If they did not --------.
The churchyard walls and railings collapsed in 1911 and the churchwardens had to appeal for funds to put matters right. Master Albert Sidebottom deputised on the organ for Mr. Fairclough. A Whitfield Boy Scouts Troop was flourishing under the leadership of Mr. Strong and this year went to camp. Preparations were being made for a great Bazaar to be held in the near future. Mrs. A. K. Wood opened the Church House Club in Charlestown Road having given the premises for the use of the young men of Whitfield Parish. There were to be billiards, card games and a reading room upstairs. Down in the cellar, baths had been put in for the use of the members. This club was to replace the premises at the corner of Charlestown Road and York Terrace, which had been used for so many years.

At a Cake, Apron and Doll Sale at St. Luke’s in 1912 Miss Ella Hadfield presented a bouquet to Mrs. Wood. A Lantern Lecture was given at the Church House Club, one of the items was “The Volunteer Organist," the slides being augmented by a singer. Messrs. Womersley of Leeds were to be asked to decorate the Bazaar, this time to be called “Lovely Lucerne.”
The Vicar is once more earnestly searching for curates. In answer to ten advertisements he received 72 replies, but unfortunately they were chiefly from men who set conditions before they started negotiations. He complains that they were wanting High Mass, Vestments and would wish to advance the speed to High Church so quickly “that he, who was not slow would not be able to keep pace with them.” Two applications were from “sane” men but on second thoughts one decided to go to New Zealand and the other to the South of England.
The children in Sunday School were asked to buy Hymn Books so that they could join more heartily in the singing. The price of 6d. could be paid down or on the hire purchase plan. A regular feature at the Parish Hall was the Service of Song with ‘connective readings,’ generally the services of some well-known man were obtained for the readings. At a Lantern Lecture the people were invited to see “The conquest of the-air.” It was thought that large numbers would wish ‘to see pictures of these huge flying machines.”
The Guild of St. Hilda had widened its scope in 1913 to that of a Social Club and began to meet in the Bank St. Mission every Tuesday and Thursday from 7 to 9-30, the members paying 3d. a month for the privilege of attending.
Money was being raised at St. Luke’s for a heating apparatus for the Day School. It is recorded in the Annual Returns that there were 946 scholars in the two Day Schools and 1534 in the Sunday Schools. The Sunday School procession to Moorfield was still preceded by the infants, in lorries, borrowed from the Partington's Paper Mill.
There was a determined attempt too allocate all the work at Whitfield to specific Committees. ‘he duties were clearly set out and reports were to be made regularly to a Central Committee. The most arduous task was allocated to Messrs. A. Aveson, R. Taylor, W. Robinson and A. Teasdale - the Gallery Sub-Committee. They had to be responsible for the behaviour of the young-people during church services and keep a record of their attendance.

In September, 1913, the Infants’ School off Victoria St. was opened by the Mayor of Glossop who was warmly welcomed and entertained to tea. The Scouts at the Institute went to Lady Bower for their annual camp. They borrowed handcarts from Wood’s Mill, piled on their equipment and set off to walk at 6-30 a.m. arriving at the Camp at 1 p.m. During the time of the camp they fraternised with the Bamford Scouts, first having a contest in raiding and then giving supper to the 10 local lads, who lost the fight.
Alterations were again being contemplated at Whitfield School but apparently the 1914-1918 war interfered with the plans. Evening School was begun at Whitfield in 1913.

1914 Mrs. Ann Kershaw Wood died. Thus ended a period in the church’s history. Her husband had been a great supporter of Whitfield, Mrs. Wood was connected, in her time, with every function organised at Whitfield, St. Luke's, the Parish Hall and the Church Institute. Coffee Parties, Tea parties, Prize giving, buying buildings, erecting buildings, Choir Trips, Sunday School walks and treats - both great and small events were helped by Mrs. Wood. For years it was her Sunday routine to come by carriage, with her staff and luncheon basket, to 9 a.m. Sunday School. Morning Service was followed by lunch in Whitfield School. Afternoon Sunday School and Mrs. Wood's Room was filled with women, old and young. The Sunday School, to Mrs. Wood, was the centre of the activities of the church. Through the agency of Mr. G. T. Ashton at the Parish Hall and Mr. J. Sidebottom at the Church Institute help was given to poor children in clothing, treats and trips. The clergy and the people asked - Mrs. Wood gave. The family spirit in the parish was shown most clearly in criticism; if any official made mistakes he duly received Mrs. Wood’s comments but, let anyone outside dare to criticise the church officials and they received the full weight of her anger.

The Great War 1914-1918. As in the recent war the parish was steadily to lose its manpower. The casualties mounted. Moorfield became a hospital and Whitfield folk spent much effort answering appeals to knit, to organise efforts for the hospital, to give personal service in nursing and cleaning. The soldiers on active service were sent P.O.s for 5/ - from funds raised by the church people and the Vicar received letters of thanks from all parts of the world. Mr. Morris joined the army, the male members of the Whitfield Staff went into the forces. For part of the time Mr. Hankinson had to organise two schools.

During 1915, the Vicar was seriously ill but, the curate writes “I am pleased to say that the Vicar is much better - regaining his strength to face this awful climate.” Owing to lighting restrictions the the Wednesday evening services were abandoned. By 1916 the windows at St. Luke’s were colour washed and stippled and the Sunday Evening Service was to begin at 6-0 p.m. The price of the Magazine was raised to 1 ½d.

In 1918 a Welcome Home Fund was being raised so that each soldier might be invited to a Social Event and part of the money used to the erection of a suitable War Memorial to the Fallen. Mr. A. B. Smith, owing to illness, had to resign from the Sunday School work but was able to keep on his work as Church warden. There were 157 candidates for confirmation in 1918 and the Easter Communicants created a record, 523 at Whitfield and 748 in the whole parish. Mr. Cox, formerly Headmaster at Whitfield, sidesman and Sunday School teacher, died at the age of 81.
The Vicar, at the request of some of his readers, wrote on international affairs in the magazine summing up the balance of power in Europe. He had also given numerous lectures during the war on the peoples of Europe. His forthright opinions on the German barbarians were strongly expressed.
There were 600 in the Sunday School Anniversary Procession.

In 1919, Miss Doodson, who had been actively connected with the Whitfield Sunday School for 69 years, presented the prizes. A special peal lasting 1 hour 32 minutes was rung in honour of Lord Doverdale, who had given the children a treat, and in celebration of the signing of Peace.
The Institute Choir enjoyed a wagonette trip to Disley.
The Welcome Home Tea took place in 1920, 500 husbands and wives sat down to a knife and fork tea, beef, ham and tongue being the meats. Afterwards there was an entertainment which lasted late as the Vicar could only just manage to get his remarks in before the close.

1925-28, Sir John Wood, Bart., built the Memorial Chapel, the two Eastern bays of the Gallery being removed at the same time. The Chapel was built ‘in memory of dear relatives whose bodies rest beneath the building.’ The windows of the four evangelists were put in the North side of the chapel by Alice Agnes Wood.
The members of St. Hilda's Guild bore the cost of removing the brass altar rail and replacing it with an oak one.

In 1926, Rev. Martin Ellis died. For 22 years he had been Vicar. A brilliant preacher, a man of strong views, trenchant with the pen, wide in interests, an organiser - he had seen Whitfield through a strange period of ups and downs. He had seen the end of an era in the parish history and carried it through the beginning of new developments. As could be expected, those who liked him, liked him very well; those who disliked, disliked strongly.
The Rev. Nicoll Griffith, came to Whitfield in 1926. During his time the great feature was the Far Eastern Bazaar by which a sum of £2,000 was raised. The Whitfield tradition of Grand Bazaars was faithfully followed, history in the handbook, stalls decorated to a scheme, and money duly forthcoming after months of hard preparation. The Bells were recast and a hand device installed so that on occasion one could perform. The Vicar, to the annoyance of somnolent parishioners and the delight of the wideawake, would while away the Sunday afternoon with hymn tunes on the bells. A wall was built down the side of the Whitfield School playground to make a drive to the Vicarage.
The Sylvia window was installed in memory of the Vicar’s young daughter who died whilst he was at Whitfield.

In 1934, Rev. Nicoll Griffith left Whitfield and went to Swanage where he is still the Vicar.

The Hadow Report of 1926 recommended the formation of schools for Seniors over the age of 11. After many meetings of the Church authorities and L.E.A. in Glossop it was decided to transfer all Senior children to the West End School and convert the Church schools to juniors and infants. In 1930, Major Morris left Whitfield School to become Headmaster of West End School and Captain Furniss was appointed in his place. Mr. Hankinson retired from his position as Headmaster of St. Luke’s School being replaced by Mr. J. W. S. Fielding. One of the conditions in the agreement about the transfer was that all the children who. wished could attend for religious instruction at their own church each Friday morning. The clergy were made Governors of the West End School.
The ‘slump’ which affected Glossop so drastically caused an exodus from the town. Together with the drop in the birth rate it meant that the number in the schools decreased rapidly from about 280 in 1930 at Whitfield to 180 in 1937. A school choir was formed at Whitfield by Captain Furniss and had a very successful career, winning trophies at Buxton and Blackpool Musical Festivals.

In 1934, Rev. J. W. Cooke, M.A., was inducted. He had to take charge in a difficult period when the depression was having its disastrous effect on the parish. During his time the St. Luke’s Parsonage was bought for use as a residence for the Curate in Charge of St. Luke’s. The purchase was the beginning of much contention at the Parochial Church Council Meetings but, in spite of all the forebodings, it has now been paid for and become an asset to the parish.

It was decided in 1935 to have the organ, at Whitfield, rebuilt by Abbot & Smith of Leeds at a cost of £869. Electro-pneumatic action was installed and the keyboard and stops modernised. The installation was delayed as the lorry, carrying some of the pipes, met with disaster near Woodhead and the wind moaned through the disconsolate pipes as they lay in the bleak fields.
As a celebration of 50 years’ service as bellringers by Thomas Jackson, Joseph Marsden and Eli Garside, Kent Treble Bob Major was rung in February, 1936, 5088 changes, in 3 hours 16 minutes. At a subsequent ceremony the three were presented with ebony walking sticks.

Captain Furniss was appointed Headmaster of West End School in 1937 in the place of Major Morris who retired. After interviewing ten candidates over a six-hour period, Mr. H. A. Whitehead was appointed Headmaster of Whitfield School at the witching hour of midnight.
Within a few months of his retirement Major Morris died. He had served at Whitfield for many years, not only as Headmaster, but as Secretary for many organisations, Churchwarden and sidesman; in the town he was active as a leading member of the British Legion. A strong character, he was known to all the town and at his funeral the large numbers lining the streets paid tribute to one who had left his mark upon the school, parish and town.
Through the agency of the Religious Film Society a Cinema Projector was purchased for use in the Whitfield Day and Sunday Schools in 1938. Regularly, shows have been given since, sound or silent films being used for entertainment, educational and religious purposes.

The War 1939-1946. New problems arose, although the experience of the last war was to be utilised to the full. First came the evacuees from Manchester; the schools were used as reception centres and later had to find accommodation for increased numbers. On the Saturday before War was declared the mothers and babies came from Manchester. Gradually they drifted back to town to be replaced in 1940 by children from Lowestoft.
The Parochial Church Council considered A.R.P. Men and women were called to the forces; civilians were laden with war duties in A.R.P., First Aid, Home Guard, knitting for the forces. Black-out came and affected the church services which had to be held at 4 p.m.; early services were held in the Lady Chapel.
Fearing danger from Air Raids the Parish Hall was closed in 1941 and the Sunday School children were transferred to Whitfield. The Church Institute had been closed in 1940 as it was felt that the spiritual needs of the people could be met at St. James and St. Luke’s. The financial position, too, was very bad and the building needed much money to put it into a proper state of repair. In 1944, the Parish Hall was sold, thus relieving the Parochial Church Council of paying £5 12s, 0d. ground rent for the next 50 years.
The Church House Club, owing to the number of men in the forces, had to be closed during the War period.
Bazaars could no longer be held owing to the shortage of goods and it was decided to have Gift Days instead, the first being held in 1940. Mrs. Leney and Mr. G. Scholes were the joint secretaries and the result at St. James’ was £259. Each year the Gift Days have proved to be a great success at both churches, the highest record at St. Luke’s being £300, the first at that church raised £120.
The St. Luke’s Sunday School Singers, trained by Rev. W. L. Chivers gave recitals on a number of occasions. An Easter Play and a Nativity Play were given at St. Luke’s under the direction of the same clergyman.
As in the 1914-18 war Postal Orders were sent to the members of the forces. At Whitfield this work was done by Miss Stafford and the members of the St. Hilda's Guild.

In 1941, the Rev. J.W. Cooke, MA., left to go to St. George's Parish, Macclesfield. There followed a long period of waiting before his successor, Rev. G. S. D. Black, B.Sc., came to Whitfield from Woodville near Burton on Trent. During the interregnum, Rev. W. L. Chivers managed to hold services in both churches.

Owing to the shortage in paper supplies the Parish Magazine ceased publication and was replaced by a duplicated leaflet. Later, St. James' and St. Luke’s had separate leaflets published.

1943, the Whitfield Infants’ School was converted and became, for the period of the war, a War Time Nursery, the Infants being transferred to the Ashton St. Schools. Miss Bradwell, Headmistress of the Whitfield Infants’ School, retired in 1944.

1945, the bells rang out once more. Owing to the shortage of bellringers, Whitfield had to take its turn with other churches in the district. Towards the end of this year Miss Jessie Rowbottom retired after many years service in the school and church.

1946, the Centenary Year, the first year of peace. Men and women are slowly returning from the forces. It will take time before things become normal, but the faithful still meet and Whitfield goes on.
H. A. WHITEHEAD

The Wood Family, 1815—.
The History of Whitfield Parish would have been very different without the Wood family. From the beginning, various members of this family have played a great part in the development of the parish as a whole. The first member to come to Glossop was John Wood, a Yorkshireman, born at Marsden near Huddersfield, 1785. He bought two or three mills, which were driven by water-power, in 1815. About 1830, he purchased the present "Wood's Mill.” There were three sons, John born 1813; Daniel 18l7 and Samuel 1819. The two daughters Eliza and Alice were born in 1815 and 1821 respectively. The father died in 1854 aged 69 years and was buried in Whitfield Churchyard where the Memorial Chapel now stands. His three sons went into the mills and were trained do the work before they were allowed to supervise.
His eldest son, John, is mentioned as being a member of the building committee of Whitfield Church. This son married Emma, daughter of Wm. Sidebottom of Hollingworth. Their two children were Alice Agnes Wood and John Wood, the latter becoming Sir John Wood, Bart. This family lived at Whitfield House which is still owned by Sir John Wood.
Daniel Wood, who never married, lived at Moorfield until his death in 1888.
Samuel Wood married Anne Kershaw, daughter of Wm. Sidebottom of Hollingworth, sister to his eldest brother’s wife. At first they lived at Talbot House, but later removed to Moorfield. Their son is now Sir Samuel Hill-Wood. Samuel Wood was for 30 years Sunday School Superintendent at Whitfield and died 1888 being buried in the new portion of the burial ground which lies alongside The Vicarage. This ground was purchased by Mrs. S. Wood and is reserved for the burial of members of the Church of England.
Sir John Wood and Sir Samuel Hill-Wood are patrons of the living of Whitfield and hold the gift alternately with the Bishop of the Diocese.


Sir John Wood, who lives at Hengrave Hall, Bury St. Edmunds, still keeps in close touch with the affairs of the parish and has a keen interest in all that goes on.


Sir Samuel Hill-Wood, who lives in Eaton Square, London has much to do with the school property at Whitfield Infants’ and St. Luke’s School.

STAINED GLASS WINDOWS.
North Aisle.
1890 in memory of John Wood. One window depicts St. James, the patron saint of the church, staff in hand with water bottle hanging on the end. On the front of the headgear is a shell. This shell was worn by pilgrims, who went to St. James’ tomb at Campostella in Northern Spain, as a sign of their pilgrimage.
The second window shows St. John holding a book in his left hand and a chalice in the right. From the chalice a green dragon is emerging.
South Aisle.
1890 in memory of Daniel, Samuel and Emma Wood.
One window shows Samuel, the prophet holding the horn in his left arm. This will be symbolic of his anointing the first King of Israel.
The second window shows Daniel, robed in princely gown richly jewelled, standing with two lions.
1930 erected by the parishioners in memory of Anne Kershaw Wood friend and benefactress of the parish.
The upper windows show Compassion, a woman holding a coat, ready to be given away and Piety holding a box of ointment. The lower windows are devoted to Instruction - a woman speaking to little ones and their mothers and Charity - a woman shown ready to give bread too a pleading family. In the lower corner are some blue flowers.
THE CHANCEL.
North Side.
1899 as a thank-offering and in commemoration of the birth of their Son, Edmund, erected by John and Gertrude Emily Wood.
A Nativity Window - the chief figures are Joseph, holding a lantern, the Virgin Mary and the Child Jesus. In the top right hand corner are the shepherds on the hills receiving the message from the angels whilst on the left hand are shown the Wise Men coming to pay homage.
1898 erected by Edmund Partington in memory of his daughter, Beatrice Knowles.
This window shows the Presentation of Christ in the Temple. The Holy Babe is in the arms of Simeon, the Virgin Mary kneels before him whilst Joseph, in the background is seen holding the doves for sacrifice. The background of the windows shows the altar with candles burning and a sanctuary lamp suspended before it.
1896 North Window of Apse, in memory of John Hill Wood and Emma Wood erected by their children Alice Agnes Wood and John Wood.
The Last Supper is shown in this window with Our Lord blessing the wine. The eleven apostles are grouped round the table and Judas can be seen in the background stealing out, grasping a bag of silver.
1896 Central Window of Apse - in memory of Rev. C. B. Ward. This window shows the Ascension of Our Lord.
1896 South Window of the Apse - in memory of Samuel Wood erected by his widow, Anne Kershaw Wood.
The Resurrection Garden scene is shown in this window. Our Lord is giving His message to Mary Magdalen.
THE MEMORIAL CHAPEL.
1928 The four windows were erected by Alice Agnes Wood in memory of her father, mother and other relatives, also her sister-in-law, Gertrude Emily Lady Wood.
The four evangelists are shown, St. Matthew holding a money bag in his right hand and book in left; St. Mark with scrolls in his left hand; St. Luke holding a book on which is printed ‘‘Depart from evil and do good’’
“Seek peace and ensue it.”
St. John with quill pen in right hand book in the left.
In the lower corners of the Evangelist Windows are shown the marks associated with the saints, St. John, the eagle; St. Luke, a bull; St. Mark, a griffin; St. Matthew an angel.
In the East Window is shown a Fiery Cross, the centre being in red with yellow rays going from it. The whole is surrounded with small windows depicting stars.
1930 Rose Window, showing Angel Faces, in the West End of the church erected by Rev. Nicoll Griffith and Mrs. H. V. Nicoll-Griffith in memory of their daughter Sylvia Grace.
1896 Children’s Window near the font.

FURNISHINGS.
1926 MEMORIAL CHAPEL, - the oak eagle lectern was was given by the parishioners in memory of Gertrude Emily Lady Wood in appreciation of her work and love for the parish.
CHANCEL.
1896 Altar - the gift of the Rev. Dudley and friends.
1896 Reredos - erected by the wife and family of Rev. C. B. Ward. The Central Panel of the Reredos shows the Crucifixion, the side panels the children being brought to Jesus and the healing of Simon’s wife’s mother.
1896 The Bishops Chair given by Wm. Swire in memory of his daughter Clara.
1942 Organ Stool - given by parishioners in memory of W. P. Fairclough, organist and choirmaster 1876-1938, died October 7th, 1941.
1896 Organ Case - given by Mrs. S. Wood and her class in memory of Mr. S. Wood.
1895 Pulpit - given by Sarah Partington and her daughter.
1928 Oak Confirmation Rail - given by the members of St. Hilda’s Guild, in memory of the founder of the guild in Whitfield, Rev. W. M. Martin-Ellis.
Just inside the West Door on the South Side is sculptured in stone the bust of an angel holding a shield showing the arms of St. James - a sword crossed with pilgrim staff on which is depended water bottle. In the centre is a shield to which is the Pilgrim’s Shell.
1906 Electric Light Installation and Fittings were given by parishioners in memory of Rev. Dudley.

THE BELLS.
cwts. qrs. lbs.
1 F sharp The Vicar and his wife gave me in loving memory of their only daughter, Isabel Amy Ward, who died March 29th, 1271, aged 6 years. 4 0 22
2 E sharp Anne Kershaw Wood gave me in memory of the deceased scholars of her Sunday School Class, 1884. 4 2 18
3 D sharp I first hung here when Charles Bruce Ward was Vicar and Edward Thomas Taylor was Curate. 5 0 9
4 C sharp When I came here James Rhodes and Joseph Winterbottom were churchwardens. 5 2 11
5 B My seven companions and I were made September, 1884. 6 3 6
6 A sharp We were placed here by public subscription. The Clock was given by Alice Agnes Wood. 7 3 23
7 G sharp The Male Teachers and Senior Scholars o f the Sunday School gave me to tell the praise and glory of God. 10 1 19
8 F sharp The Female Teachers and Senior Scholars gave me to tell the praise of God. 14 3 8
Total Weight 59 2 4

The peal of eight bells was recast, equipped with new fittings and installed in a new metal frame.
The Bells were re-dedicated by the Lord Bishop of Derby 27th December, 1931.




Return to GJH.me Home Page, Return to Glossop Area Local Histories index.


Last updated: 11 February 2021