Bankswood - Hadfield's Park.

Bankswood Park An article in the Glossop Chronicle on 21 January 1938 told how Bankswood Park was created on land previously known as "The Castle.”

Officially, Bankswood was purchased by the council in 1926 but unofficially it was said that Bankswood was obtained for nothing. The land had become the property of Mr. J. Todd when he purchased the Glossop Hall Estate. He then sold it to a Mr. R. Wilson. When the council was negotiating with Mr Todd to buy Glossop Hall and grounds, S. T. Ashton, then chairman of the Finance Committee tried to persuade Mr. Todd to include Bankswood in the purchase price. Mr. Todd initially said that he could not do so as he had already sold It to Mr. Wilson but was ultimately persuaded to buy the land back from Mr. Wilson.
The council never bought Glossop Hall in the end but Bankswood was included with the purchase of the grounds which formed Manor Park. Bankswood was not officially opened like Manor Park, but it was still a big day for Hadfield when the tennis courts at Bankswood and the slipper baths at Station Road were opened. In addition to the tennis courts there was a paddling pool, a children's playground, and formal flower beds providing colour in summer and autumn.

Before the park was laid out there was a level crossing over the railway at Nimble Nook which had always been used as a short cut. There was a great deal of opposition when the railway company announced their intention of closing the level crossing, members and officials of the Council even going to London for discussions with railway managers, but the company would neither change its decision nor put a footbridge across the track. The increase In the number of people using the land after Bankswood was laid out meant that the decision to close the crossing was wise but the lack of a footbridge was certainly an inconvenience. That was especially the case as the road bridge on Marlow Brow had no footpath until 1966.

Another missing element at Bankswood was a pavilion. There were many arguments In Glossop Town Council over the need for one but sufficient funding was never made available until a Mr. T. Firth left £50 in his will for the provision of a “shelter” at Bankswood. That was finally rectified at the end of January 1938 when, in view of the legacy which topped up a previous provision of £150, the council rejected a proposal for a pavilion at the West End playing field in favour of the erection of a pavilion at Bankswood.

The pool and play area were well used during the World War 2 years up to the very early 1950s. Sadly, the tennis courts were neglected during that time, with the surrounding netting mostly removed, and lack of maintenance in the years following World War 2 led to the tennis courts becoming derilict, followed by the paddling pool and the children's playground. In more recent years, though, new play equipment has been installed. The pavilion above the top court (a wooden construction with covered seating on each of the 4 sides) suffered from vandalism from the late 1950s. After it had been badly vandalised it was replaced by a small wooden shelter backing onto the houses at 2 and 4 Park Road (also subsequently removed).

Bankswood Park map Bankswood Park
The (1922) map and the photo both show the location of the old level crossing at the end of Queen Street (which had been part of Shaw Lane before housing development).

The field in front of the railway in the photo was laid out as a football pitch in the 1950s and 60s - rather dangerous if a ball was kicked over the fence.


Two views from the woods of the paddling pool, tennis courts and the children's playground.
Bankswood Park Bankswood Park


and two views in the woods themselves.
Bankswood Park Bankswood Park



Return to GJH.me Home Page, Return to Glossop Area Local Histories index.


Last updated: 24 September 2020