White's History, Gazetteer & Directory of Cheshire, 1860
Entries for the Longdendale, Disley and Marple areas.

MOTTRAM-IN-LONGDENDALE is a considerable Parish, comprising the townships of Mottram, Godley, Hattersley, Hollingworth, Matley, Newton, Staley, and Tintwistle, which together embrace an area of 10,562a. 0r. 22p. of land, and in 1851 had 4,831 houses and 23,354 inhabitants, of whom 11,392 were males and 11,962 females. Rateable value, £60,410 18s. 10¾d. This parish forms the north-east extremity of the county, a bleak and dreary promontory which protrudes betwixt the counties of Yorkshire and Derbyshire, having the river Etherow as its southern boundary dividing it from Derbyshire, and the river Tame on the north. The Featherbed Moss, an extensive tract of moor land, stretches to the extreme eastern point of the county, which is separated from Yorkshire by the Salters' Brook. Here Yorkshire and Derbyshire converge with Cheshire, where, at the south-east point on the Stockport and Barnsley road, is the Salters’ Brook House. The Sheffield and Manchester railway, after merging from a tunnel 3¼ miles in length near this point, enters Derbyshire, and takes its course, on the south side of the Etherow, down Longdendale to Dinting, where it crosses the Etherow at Dinting vale by a lofty viaduct, and proceeds to Broadbottom, where is the Mottram station, which is about a mile south from the church.
MOTTRAM-IN-LONGDENDALE is a considerable village and township in the Macclesfield Hundred, situated on a lofty elevation, 7 miles E.E. by N. from Stockport. The Church, on its lofty position, is a conspicuous object for many miles round. The scenery in the neighbourhood of Mottram is bold and romantic; the swelling eminences and the fertile valleys constitute some picturesque prospects Car Tor, usually called Cat Tor, is a precipitous elevation, rising 80 feet in perpendicular height. Its face exhibits various strata of rock, coal, slate, and freestone, disposed with great regularity, and the sides being partially clothed in foliage it has a very romantic effect. Mottram hill rises above this to the height of 450 feet; and even this, with the village, lie far beneath the neighbouring heights of Werneth Lowe and Charlesworth Neck. The township contains 949a. 2r. 6p. of land, and in 1851 had 636 houses and 3,199 inhabitants, of whom 1,558 were males and 1,641 females. Rateable value, £8683 8s. 1d. John Tollemache, Esq., is lord of the manor and principal owner, besides whom John Chapman, Esq., Executors of the late J. Sidebottom, Esq., Mr. John Bostock, Mr. Reddish, and Mr. Marsland have estates here. Formerly the great lordship of Longdendale, (Tingetwistle,) which gives name to the district in which Mottram is situated, was esteemed the paramount lordship the whole parish. The manor of Longdendale at an early period belonged to the family of de Burgs. Thomas Earl of Lancaster had a grant of the estates from Thomas de Burg. Sir Robert de Holland, a dependent of the Earl’s, then got possession of the property, from which it passed to his representatives, the Lovells, who retained it till the attainder of Francis Lord Lovell. Subsequently the Wilbrahams of Woodhey had a grant, and the manor is now vested in their representative, John Tollemache, Esq. A court leet and baron is held for the manor on the first Monday in November, in the Court-house.
The Church is a venerable edifice in the Gothic style, and is dedicated to St. Michael. It was erected in 1478, and contains nave, chancel, and side aisles, with a handsome tower built in the early English style, in which are placed 8 musical bells, the ringers of which are noted for their scientific accomplishment in the art of campanology. Over the north door of the church are the arms and initials of the Holyngeworth family. At the end of each side aisle is a private chapel. That on south side of the chancel is the property of John Chapman, Esq., and is used on the Sabbath by his family, servants, and tenantry. It is a beautiful structure, and is separated from the south aisle of the church as well as from the chancel by a very handsome screen of perforated oak. The roof is composed of deep massive cross beams, moulded with intersecting basses richly carved, the trammels filled with tracery, enlivened with blue and gilt stars. The roof rests on rude stone corbels carved heraldically. The floor is paved with encaustic tiles of various designs; the windows are all filled with stained glass. The eastern and southern windows have each three lights, the former representing the crucifixion and the latter the Infant History of our Saviour. The latter also contains armorial bearings, being partly a memorial to Mr. Chapman’s family. The chapel is partly stalled and partly benched. The stalling is from the best examples in Lincoln cathedral, with canopy tabernacle work surmounting them. The benches are of old oak richly carved. Beneath the south window lie two effigies, a knight and his lady, in red sandstone, the figures of which are much decayed and mutilated. They are evidently, from the armour and general costume, as well as the collar of S.S.S., of the time of Henry IV. They are generally said to represent Sir Ralph de Staley and his lady (whose family became extinct in the reign of Edward IV.), but on what authority is unknown. Few chapels surpass this one in mediaeval character and rich decoration. In the chapel on the south side of the chancel, belonging to the Holyngeworthes, is a handsome marble monument to Reginald Brotland, sergeant-at-law, with the recumbent figure of the deceased in a gown, with a roll of papers in his hand. In one of the windows are the family arms, crest, and motto of the Holyngeworthe family richly emblazoned. In 1855 the pillars and clerestory of the church were rebuilt, the north and south aisles re-roofed, and the whole interior thoroughly renovated. The church is also provided with heating apparatus on a new principle by hot water, the boiler being situated under the vestry, which was erected at the time of the renovation of the church. The large eastern window of the chancel has been filled with painted glass by Mr. and Mrs. Chapman, in memory of the late George Sidebottom, Esq.; of Hill-end, Mottram. The window, a late perpendicular one, is of ten principal lights, five above and five below, a transome with tracery surmounting. The five upper lights contain the four Evangelists with our Saviour in the centre, while those below represent the four great Apostles - St. Peter, St. Paul, St. John the Baptist, and St. James, supporting the Virgin Mary and the Infant Jesus, whose figures occupy the centre. The tracery is filled with angels on blue ground. These figures stand in niches with rich deep back ground, the niches of white and gold, and the boarders surmounting each light are ivy leaves and berries green and red. A painting of Moses and Aaron, beautifully executed, also ornaments the church. There is likewise a handsome and fine-toned organ, which was placed there at a cost of £690, raised by subscription. In the centre is a chaste and elegant eight-days timepiece. During the reparations of the church the organ was enlarged and beautified at a cost of £200, defrayed by the trustees of the organ fund. There is an endowment arising from some cottages in Hollingworth, to meet the expenses encurred in connection with the church.
The Living comprises a rectory and a vicarage, rated in the King s Book at £32. 3s. 9d., now returned at £219; the former an impropriation belonging to the See of Chester, and the latter is endowed with £200 private benefaction and £200 Queen Anne’s Bounty. At a subsequent period a further sum of £400 was added to the endowment by Queen Anne’s Bounty. The Bishop of Chester is the Patron and Rev. William Henry Jones, M.A., incumbent. The Rev. George T. Nurse, curate. In 1857 the whole of the church-yard was properly levelled, since which an additional piece of ground - an acre in extent - has been taken which has been consecrated for the members of the church, and the remaining part has been allotted for the Nonconformists. The ground was purchased by a mortgage on the rates of the several townships within the ecclesiastical district of the parish church, and is governed by a body of directors under the Burial Board Act. In the church-yard are some tombs to the Bulkeley family. From the church a very extensive prospect is seen; to the west the eye stretches, over the fertile plains of Cheshire as far as the Welsh mountains, and to the east is seen the romantic valley of Longdendale, encompassed by bold swelling eminences in an amphitheatrical form. The Independents have a small chapel in the village which formerly belonged to the: Methodist New Connexionists, and which was built in 1791. A spacious School-room on the Hyde-road is used as a place of worship by the Christian Brethren. The National and Sunday School was built m 1832, and is situated a short distance from the church. The cost was about £700, which was raised by subscriptions and a grant of £80 from the National Society, About 70 children attend the day school. The Mottram Christian Sunday School for children of all denominations was built by subscription in 1846, at a cost of £650 raised by subscription. It will accommodate about £400. The most ancient part of Mottram are the houses near to the Old Cross, on the south side of the church. Fairs for cattle are held April 27th and October 31st. The feast is on the first Sunday after the 15th August.
In 1844 the friends of the Sunday School connected with Mottram Church raised the munificent sum of £120, which was laid out in the purchase of a large and elegant chased silver salver, weighing 125 ounces, and a tea service, richly engraved with scroll pattern, weighing 77 ounces, which was presented to Mr. Joshua Reddish by the friends, teachers, and scholars of the Mottram Sunday School, as a small token of their respect, and in grateful acknowledgement of the very valuable and gratuitous services rendered by him to that institution for a period of 80 years. On this occasion the Mottram bell-ringers ascended the church belfry and completed a Kent Treble Bob, a true peal, consisting of 5,056 changes, in 2 hours and 45 minutes.
The Mottram Circulating Library, having been purchased by John Chapman, Esq., is now under his immediate superintendence. The library contains 514 volumes of well selected books of various branches of literature. There are 158 members who pay 2d. per month towards the expenses incurred in connection with the institution. James Chadwick is the librarian.
The Police Station and Lock-up is a neat brick structure erected in 1848. It contains two cells, with a residence for a superintendent, Mr. James Hindley. In the village is a Penny Savings Bank, which was established by Mr. Chapman. It is open on Saturday from 6 to 7 p.m.
BROADBOTTOM is a populous hamlet 1 mile S. from the Church, the houses of which are built of freestone. Here is the extensive cotton spinning and manufacturing establishment of Messrs. Sidebottom, who have erected premises for the accommodation of 1000 additional looms. The steam and water power employed at these mills are equal to 240 horses. Broadbottom has taken its name from an ancient residence re-built in 1680, now the residence and property of Mr. John Bostock. The Wesleyan Methodist chapel, now in course of erection, will be a neat structure in the Gothic style, the cost of which will be about £500, raised by subscription. The interior will be neatly fitted up, and will hold about 300 persons. A Sunday school will also be attached. The Primitive Methodists have also a small chapel on Gorsey Brow, built in 1852. The Manchester, Sheffield, and Lincolnshire Railway intersects the township, and has a neat station here, from whence there are 16 up and 13 down trains daily except on Sunday, when there are 7 up and 8 down. John B. Locke, clerk in charge. Hurst Crescent is a row of sixteen cottages on the. Mottram road. A little further is a colliery, from which an inferior coal is obtained. The Hague is a hamlet ½ mile S. S. by E. from the Church. Hill End, ½ mile S. from the Church, is a handsome mansion, the seat and property of John Chapman, Esq. Harewood Lodge is a neat dwelling, the residence of Mrs. M. A. Sidebottom. A spacious Sunday School was built in 1847 by Mrs. Sidebottom, at Broadbottom. The Vicarage, a little north from the Church, is a neat residence re-built in 1847 on the site of the former house.
Lawrence Earnshaw, a mechanical genius more favoured by the endowments of mind than the gifts of fortune, was a native of this place. “He was early apprenticed to a tailor and afterwards to a clothier, but neither of these employments being congenial with his disposition, after serving both for eleven years he placed himself for a short time with a clockmaker, of Stockport. With the very little instruction he obtained from his desultory education he became one of the most universal mechanics and artists that ever was known. He could have taken wool from the sheep’s backs, manufactured it into cloth, and made every instrument necessary for the clipping, carding, spinning, reeling, weaving, fulling, dressing, and making it up for wear, with his own hands. He was an engraver, painter, gilder; he could stain glass and foil mirrors; was a blacksmith, whitesmith, coppersmith, gunsmith, bellfounder, and coffin maker; made and erected sun-dials, mended fiddles; repaired, tuned, made, played upon, and taught the harpsicord; made and mended organs and optical instruments; read and understood Euclid; and in short had a taste for all sorts of mechanics and most of the fine arts. Clock making and repairing was a very favourite employment to him, and he carried so far his theory and practice of clockwork as to be the inventor of a curious astronomical and geographical machine, containing a terrestrial and celestial globe, to which different movements were given representing the diurnal and annual motions of the earth, the position of the moon and stars, and various other phenomena with the greatest correctness. All the complicated calculations as well as the execution of this ingenious work were performed by himself; and one of the machines, curiously ornamented, was sold to the Earl of Bute for £150. About the year 1753 Earnshaw invented a machine to spin and reel cotton by one operation, which he showed to his neighbours and then destroyed, through the generous apprehension that it might take bread from the mouths of the poor. This was previous to the late inventions by which the cotton manufacture has been so much promoted. He was acquainted with that equally self-taught genius, the celebrated Brindley, born at Wormhill, on the Wye, in the neighbouring county of Derby, and when they occasionally met they would continue for many hours discoursing on the principles of science and their own respective modes of operation. Earnshaw’s countenance was not peculiarly stamped with intelligence, but on the contrary might at first view be considered as indicative of stupidity, yet when animated by conversation his features beamed with the irradiations of intellect. He conversed with fluency, and clearly explained the objects of his discourse in the dialect aid peculiar phrase of the county.”
The Free Grammar School, on the south Side of the churchyard, which has stood for many years in a dilapidated state, has been by the munificence of Geo. Woodhead, Esq., of the Old Hall, re-built at a cost of £200, and is now one of the most neat and comfortable structures of the kind in the county. In 1632 Robert Garsett gave £100 and Richard Wilbraham £100 to the intent that the same should be laid out on some rent charge or annuity for the maintenance of the school-master of Mottram, in Longdendale, who should be competent to instruct children in reading, writing, and in the Greek, Latin, and English tongues. The £200 were subsequently laid out in the purchase of 49a. 1r. 22p. of land, statute measure situate in the township of Haughton, which now produces about £40 per annum.
A house in Manchester, let for £20 a year, also belongs to the school, which it is said was paid for by money arising from a fall of timber on the Haughton property. There is also a rent charge of £5 per annum arising from an estate at Chadkirk, left by Robert Hyde, in 1684. A gum of £30, left by Nicholas Dearneley in 1671, appears to be irrecoverably lost, and there are no deeds to show how the money has been appropriated.
It appears the ministers and churchwardens of Mottram have power to nominate the schoolmaster, and if they neglect to do so the Bishop of Chester has the appointment. Several of the former Vicars of Mottram have filled the office of master of the school. Mr. Johnson, the late Vicar, was appointed by the Bishop of Chester, July 13th, 1827, and held the office when the Charity Commissioners published their report. Occasionally visiting and superintending the school was the only duty performed by the person called the master, and as Mr. Johnson observed to the Charity Commissioners, “when there is plenty of work there is no time for the children to go to the school.” If appears the parishioners of Mottram had just a teacher suited to the circumstances of the case. Mr. Johnson had kept an account of his receipts, and it had been his purpose to apply the overplus to the poorer class of the parish. He did not know the amount of the surplus, but he thought it amounted to more than £100. Thus, while there had been an accumulation of money which ought to have been applied to the benefit of the charity, the school had become completely ruinous and the parishioners justly refused to expend the money of the parish in the repairs of a school from which the inhabitants had derived so little advantage. The case requiring the intervention of a Court of Equity, the school has been in abeyance for the last twenty years, to the great annoyance and disadvantage of the parishioners, but is to be opened early in the following year (1860) with a competent master at its head. The present income of the charity amounts to upwards of £65 per annum, which will be the master’s salary. By the final order in Chancery, dated 7th August, 1857, a new set of trustees were appointed, amounting to six in number. On examining the charity affairs they found it charged with a debt of £455 15s. 10d., which they afterwards reduced to £330 9s.1d., but finding this sum would be a hindrance to their views, insomuch that a part of the endowment would have to go to repay it, and knowing that the attainments of the master must depend on the salary offered, an appeal was made to the public in order to clear off the whole debt, so that the income of the charity might be applied wholly to the master’s salary. Lady Elizabeth Booth bequeathed £400 upon trust, and directed the interest to be disposed of in the following manner:- £5 per annum to Great Budworth, £5 to Bowden, 50s. to Wilmslow, 50s; to Mottram, and 50s. to the overseers of Ashton-under-Line. The donor directed twelve penny loaves to be given among the poor of Mottram for ever. John Bretland by his will 1654, directed 50s. to be distributed among the parishioners of Mottram, to be paid by him who should reside at Thorncliffe; but in case no housekeeping there, then £5 to be paid for ever out of the Thorncliffe estate. Robert Hyde in 1684 gave a rent charge of £2 per annum to the poor of Mottram. Margaret Booth in 1737 bequeathed 50s. per annum, which is paid from an estate in Honley. John Hadfield in 1760 left £20, and John Booth in 1763 bequeathed £40 for the benefit of poor persons. It appears from a paper in the parish chest that William Hyde left £10, and Henry Hyde gave £10, for the poor of Mottram. There is now £110 invested in the Manchester bank, but it is not known from whence it came. Probably the above gifts may have formed a part of the money so invested. The Parliamentary returns of 1786 state that several persons left to the poor certain land, then producing £6 10s. per annum. Nothing is now known of this yearly payment, but the churchwardens have a house and premises in Queen street, Manchester, the conveyance to which is dated 16th September, 1791. The house is now let for £24 per annum. The sum of £24, from the general fund of the charities in the township, is divided in equal portions among the eight townships, and called the apprentices and clothing fund.
Post Office at John Wagstaff's. Letters arrive at 8 a.m. and 5.55 p.m. and are dispatched at 12.50 p.m. and 7.30 p.m. Money Orders are granted and paid from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Post Office at Mr. Wm. Tomlinson’s, Broadbottom. Letters arrive at 6.50 a.m and 4.45. p.m., and are dispatched at 1.20 p.m. and 8.5. p.m.
Marked 1 reside at Broadbottom.
Blenkinsop Mrs Sarah, Prospect House
Booth James, greengrocer
1 Bostock John, gent.
Chapman John, Esq., J.P. Hill end
Dakin George, cooper and chair maker
Dawson George, plasterer
Eastwood Jph., nail maker, Mottram moor
Goddard John, hearse proprietor
Hague William, cotton waste dealer
1 Hamneth James, furniture broker and working jeweller
1 Hardy William gent., Harry Fields
Harrison Joseph, road surveyor
1 Harrop Mark, manager, railway coal depot
Harwood Rev. Peter Robt., (Independant)
1 Hill Mr Joseph
Hill Richard, sexton
Howard Thos., furniture & toy dealer
1 Jackson John, candle wick manufactr.
Jones Rev. Wm. Henry, M.A., Vicarage
1 Lock John B., station master
McKeloy Richard, hairdresser
1 Marsland Henry B., cotton spinner
1 Marsland Samuel, Esq., The Hague
Marsland Wm., professor of music and organist parish church
1 Matley Richard, Esq., The Hodge
Nurse Rev Geo. Thompson, curate
Nuttall Richard, parish clerk ,
Pinder Sarah, plumber
Sidebottom Alf. Kershaw, Esq., Whitegate
1 Sidebottom John, cotton spinner
1 Sidebottom Mrs Mary Ann, Harewood Lodge
Simcock Enoch, glass dealer, &c.
Taylor Wm. John, cotton waste bleacher
Usher Joseph, clog maker, Mottram Moor
Wagstaff John, ironmonger
1 Webb Thomas, managing grocer
Hotels, Inns, and Taverns.
Admiral Tollemache, Thomas Chadwick
Black Bull’s Head, Joseph Mallalieu
1 Crescent Inn, William Clayton
Dog and Partridge, John Roberts
1 Griffin Josiah Denman
Hare and Hounds, Peggy Goddard
Junction Inn, John Shaw
Pack Horse, George Beeley
Red Bull’s Head, Joseph Wright
Robin Hood, John Beard, Mottram moor
Roe Cross Inn, John Clarke, Roe Cross
1 Shoulder of Mutton, Jas. Robinson
Star, John Burgess
Waggon and Horses, Robert Booth
White Hart Jacob Shaw
Booth John
Cooper Martha
Howe Alexander, Mottram moor
1 Ratcliffe William
1 Shaw Allen, Gorsy brow
1 Tomlinson George, Gorsy brow
Andrew John
Free Grammar (not open)
Marsland Harriet
Marsland Jn. Tinkr.
National, Mary Jones
Boot and Shoe Makers.
Bennett David, Mottram moor
Chadwick Thomas
Duckett Jas., (and clothier)
1 Furness Wm. W.
1 Lowe John, (and clog maker)
Ludlam Joseph
Shaw Isaac
1 Woolley Thomas
1 Booth Joseph
Richardson Samuel
Shaw John
1 Slater James
Calico Printers
Matley Samuel & Son, Hodge Print Works warehouse, 47 George st, Manchester
Chemists and Druggists and Booksellers.
Ashton John
1 Booth Samuel
Oldham Samuel, (& appraiser)
Corn and Flour Dealers.
1 Clayton John
Reddish William
Tinker Thomas
1 Tomlinson Wm.
Cotton Spinrs & Manufactrs.
Sidebottom George and Joe
Booth Robert
Chadwick John, Carr house
Haigh Charles, Roe Cross
Harrison Thomas
Hurst Geo, Roe Cross
Kelsall Mary
Marsden Joseph, Roe Cross
1 Oldham Thomas, The Hague
Patchett Henry .
1 Platt George
Reddish John
1 Robinson Joseph, The Hague
Shaw John
Sidebotham John
Grocers & Tea, Dealers
See also Shopkeepers.
1 Clayton John
1 Handforel Bros.
Thatcher James
Tinker Thomas
1 Tomlinson Wm
Linen & Wooln Drapers.
1 Clayton John
1 Higginbottom Isaac
Thatcher James
Milliners and Dress Makers.
1 Ashton James
Collier Sarah, Mottram moor
Timperley Betty
Richardson James and Edward
1 Ashworth John
1 Battye William
1 Booth James, The Hague
1 Booth Joseph
1 Clayton Isaac
1 Coxon Thomas
1 Firth Joseph
Hadfield John
1 Halstead Henry
Harrison Joseph, Mottram moor
Ibberson Geo., Mottram moor
Ludlam John
Middleton Thomas, (& asst, overseer)
1 Moss Esther
Nuttall Martha
Patchett Henry
Sidebotham Samuel
Ferneley Moses
Hyde Jas. Tinker
Sidebottom Edward, (and registrar of births and deaths for Mottram dist.)
Booth Wm., (and straw bonnet mkr)
Chadwick James
Minikin William
1 Pownall Edwin
Robinson Charles
Railway Conveyance.
Manchester, Sheffield, and Lincolnshire Railway Co., station Broadbottom. There are 16 up & 13 down trains daily, except on Sunday, when there are 7 up & 8 down. John B. Locke, clerk in charge.

HATTERSLEY is a small scattered village and township in the Macclesfield Hundred, 6½ miles N.E. By E. from Stockport, and about ¾ of a mile from Mottram, contains 1,054a 1r 3p of land, of which 100a 3r 3p are in woods, rivers and roads. The wood land is chiefly at the southern extremity of the township, near the banks of the Etherow. At the last census here were 105 houses and 497 inhabitants, of whom 260 were males and 237 females. Rateable value £1,632 14s. 10¾d. John Chapman, Esq., is lord of the manor and owner of all the township excepting a small portion, the property of Mr. Thomas Wood, Mr. Henry Andrew, Mr. Frederick Tinker, and the Manchester, Sheffield, and Lincolnshire Railway Company. The tithes were commuted in 1845 for £98 13s. 11d. The manor before the reign of Henry III. belonged to a family of the name of Hattersley, by it was conveyed to Sir Roger de Stockport. After continuing with the Stockports about a century, it became the property of the Carringtons, from whom it passed by a female heir to the Booths, and having descended with Dunham Massey became the property of the Earl of Stamford and Warrington, from whom it was purchased by the present proprietor. Bottoms Hall, 1½ mile S.W. from Mottram, the capital mansion of this manor, is the residence of Mr. James Reece.
Greenside, 2 miles W. from Mottram Church, Further lane, 1¼ mile W., Rhodes Fould and Lumm, 2 miles S.W. are scattered districts in this township; the last named has been the residence of the Andrews since 1716. Charities. - The poor of this township have a yearly sum of 16s. 6d., noticed with Mottram parish. A sum of £3 is also received from Lady Booth’s gift, which is appropriated as a clothing fund, when any boys or girls are found in the township fit to put out apprentice. This gift has sometimes been improperly added to the poor rate, instead of being given away as charity.
Directory - John Booth, victualler, Chapman's Arms; Thomas Mallilieu, beerhouse; Benjamin Whitham, nursery and seedsman. Farmers: George Atkinson, John Booth, Wm. Bradley, Greenside, Wm. Burgess, Joseph Collier (and beerhouse), Josiah Fox, Rhodes Fould, James Harrison, Lowend, James and Thomas Jackson, Greenside, James Oldham, George Ratcliffe, Lumm, James Reece, Bottoms Hall, John Shaw, Henry Stanton, Greenside, David Taylor, Fields, Samuel Taylor, John Williamson, and Thomas and James Williamson.
The Rising Sun and Horse Shoe public-houses were closed when we visited Hattersley.

HOLYNGWORTHE is a township and considerable village in the Macclesfield Hundred, principally composed of one long street, ¾ mile E. by N. from Mottram and 2½ miles S.E. From Staley Bridge. The township contains 1,638a. 3r. 37p. of land of which near 600 acres are moor or common land, on north-east side of the township. At the last census here were 435 houses and 2,347 inhabitants of whom 1,149 were males and 1,198 females. Rateable value £5,760 5s. The principal landowners are Robert de Holyngworthe, Esq., George Woodhead, Esq., Edwin H. Shellard, Esq., Miss Sidebottom, James Sidebottom, Esq., Mr. George Cheatham, Goodman Davenport, Esq., John Sidebottom, Esq. and Mr. Taylor. The former is, also lord of the manor.
The Holyngworthes or Holynworthes, of Holynworthe Hall, are one of the few very ancient Saxon families still remaining in England who inherit hereditarily the seat of their ancestors from that period. The pedigree commences at 1022, and is continued in regular descent to Robert de Holyngworthe, Esq., the present possessor of the estate and lord of the manor. This family was much mixed up with the wars in France during, the early period of English history, and had large possessions there. The Hall, which is surrounded by a beautiful park, is very ancient, still retaining its original site, and the remains of stone work betokening Edwardian origin. The general character of the building refers to the period of Henry VI. It was originally quadrangular, with chapel, great hall, and gate tower, the latter of which still remains. It is the intention of the present occupier to restore the Hall to its original character. The arms and initials of this ancient family are cut in stone and placed over the north door of the Parish Church at Mottram and facing to Holyngworthe. They are very ancient, and are considered to be coeval with the erection of the Church. On the north chancel of the Church is the family chapel, in one of the windows of which are the family arms, crest, and motto richly emblazoned.
Thorncliffe, another reputed manor in this township, belonged for many years to the Bretlands. The Hall is an ancient structure in the Elizabethan style, pleasantly situated on high ground, about a mile north-east from Mottram Church. It commands a fine view of the vale beneath and of the bold mountainous district in the county of Derby, in the foreground of which the lofty viaduct of the Manchester and Sheffield Railway has a romantic and picturesque effect The Hall is now the residence and property of E. H. Shellard, Esq. The Old Hall is a handsome mansion, ½ mile N. from Mottram Church, the seat and property of George Woodhead, Esq. The Methodist New Connexion Chapel is a neat stone structure, built in 1830, at a cost of upwards of £1,000. On May 11th, 1834, the edifice was almost wholly destroyed by an accidental fire, and a considerable portion of the outer walls had to be rebuilt. It has galleries all round, and will accommodate 700 worshippers. There is a burial ground attached. The Sunday school is attended by about 200 children. The Wesleyan Association Chapel is a neat fabric, erected in 1839. The lndependent Chapel, erected as a Sunday school in 1847, has been converted into a chapel for divine worship. The National School, with a residence for the teacher, is a neat stone edifice, erected a few years ago. About 80 children attend. George Edward Cox and Susannah Bradley, teachers. There is also a school house, built by the voluntary subscriptions of the inhabitants in 1786.
Charities - The Parliamentary returns of 1788 state that Mrs. Hyde bequeathed £20 for the benefit of the poor. This bequest was lent to Mr. Thomas Hadfield at Tintwistle, on his bond, dated 12th June, 1817. The interest, £1, with £1 7s. 2d. received on account of Thorncliffe's charity, is distributed in small sums among the poor. There is also a sum of £3 yearly appropriated as an apprenticing and clothing fund, from the bequest of Lady Elizabeth Booth’s charity. (See the charities in Mottram township.)
Post Office (Receiving Box), at Mr. John Roberts’s. Letters are dispatched at 12.15 and 7.0 p.m.; and on Sundays at 6.0 p.m.
Arundle James, shuttle maker
Blore John, tin plate worker & gas fitter
Booth Samuel, smallware dealer
Cooper Jane, feather cutter
Dalton John, calico printer, Hollingworth Print Works
Dalton Miss Sarah Ann
Dalton Mr. Thomas, Holly Grove
Hague Peter, plumber & glazier
Hey Israel, fellmonger & skinner
Hollingworth John, gent.
Holyngworthe Robert de, Esq., J.P.&D.L., Holyngworthe Hall
Horsfield Joseph, boot & shoemaker
Milburn John, iron & brass founder
Pomfret Henry L., surgeon
Reddish William, corn factor
Ridgway Mr. Josiah
Sanderson Isaac, marine store dealer
Shellard Edwin Hugh, Esq. Thorncliffe Hall
Sidebottom Miss Mary, Hollingworth House
Sidebottom John,Esq., Hollingworth House
Sidebottom Wm.,Esq., J.P., Etherow House
Walker Henry & Robert, engravers to calico printers
Washington Ann, dress & bonnet maker
Wilkinson Alexander, clogger
Woodhead George, Esq, Old Hall
Inns and Taverns.
Gun Inn, Jph. Warhurst (& blacksmith)
New Inn, William Tomlinson
Organ Inn, William Hill
Woolley Bridge Inn & bowling green, John Harrison
Dearnley William
Jackson Thomas S.
National, Geo. Edw. Cox & Susannah Bradley
Langworth Elizbeth, Anne, Mary Ann, & Matilda, Moorfield House
Hadfield John
Wilkinson William
Garside George
Turner Joseph
Cotton Spinnrs and Manfrs.
Rhodes Thomas
Sidebottom, Ralph, Mill Brook
Warhurst John (cotton waste spinner & dealer)
Arundel James
Buckley Sarah
Dawson Wm., North Briton Farm
Garside Samuel
Green Septimus
Heap John
Houldsworth Thos., Moor Side
Hurst Saml., Landslow Green Farm
Lawton Thomas
Lomas James
Longden Isaac, Woolley Farm
Pearson Jas., Landslow Green
Swallow James
Turner Joseph
Ashton John & Jph. (& corn dealers), Roe Cross
Ferneley Thomas (& druggist)
Howard William (& draper)
Ridgway John
Roberts John (and druggist)
Boyer Harriet
Buckley William
Handforth George
Ludlam William
Lyne Edward
Marsden Mary
Ogden James
Ogden Joseph
Ridgway Jonathan
Ridgway Robert
Robberts Samuel
Shaw Thomas
Sykes Aaron
Taylor John
Brown John
Wood William

TINTWISTLE, anciently TINGETWISSEL, is a scattered and extensive township forming the north-east extremity of the county, a bleak, mountainous, and romantic district, bounded on the south by the Etherow, on the north by the Tame, and at the extreme eastern point by the Salters’ Brook, dividing it from Yorkshire. The township is divided into the four hamlets of Tintwistle, Micklehurst, Arnfield, and Longdendale or Woodhead, and embraces 2,458a. 3r. 27p. of enclosed land,with upwards of 10,000 acres of unenclosed moor land, mostly used for sheep walks. In 1851 here were 478 houses and 3,027 inhabitants, of whom 1799 were males and 1,229 females. Rateable value £8,630. The great lordship of Longdendale was formerly esteemed the paramount lordship of the whole parish, and with its appendages belonged at an early period to the family of de Burgo or de Burgh. In the year 1311 Sir Thomas de Burgh gave it to the Earl of Lancaster, on whose attainder it was granted to Sir Robert Holland; it continued in the Hollands and their representatives, the Lovells, till the attainder of Francis Lord Lovell, in 1486. It was afterwards for many generations in the Wilbrahams, and subsequently became the property of the Earl of Dysart. It is now held by John Tollemache, Esq,, who owns nearly the whole township, except Micklehurst and a few small plots held by the Trustees of Tintwistle Chapel, the Manchester Corporation, and others. The manors of Micklehurst and Arnfield are appendages of this estate. The tithes were commuted in 1848 for £144.
The village of TINTWISTLE, situated on a bold acclivity and sheltered from the north by a range of lofty hills, is about 2½ miles N.E. from Mottram. It principally consists of one long street, and the inhabitants are chiefly employed in the extensive manufacturing establishments in the vicinity. A little south-west from the Church the Etherow is crossed by a bridge, near which is the extensive cotton works of Messrs. Sidebottom, partly in this township and partly in the county of Derby.
The Church, dedicated to Christ, is a handsome structure which was built in 1837, at a cost of about £2000. It is in the gothic style, with tower and pinnacles, and is provided with galleries and a good organ. There is accommodation for about 1000 worshippers. The living is a perpetual curacy vested in Trustees, and endowed with £1000 by the Chester Diocesan Society. The Rev. James Augustus Page, B.A., is the incumbent. The parsonage, on the west side of the churchyard, cost about £1,300, which was raised by subscription and a grant from Queen Anne’s Bounty. To the south of the Church is the National School with a residence for the master, built in 1840; about 118 children attend. John and Sarah Wild, teachers.
The Independent Chapel is a spacious and substantial edifice, erected in 1811 on the site of a former structure, which was one of the oldest non-conformist places of worship in the neighbourhood of Manchester. It may be interesting to our readers to state that it appears that immediately upon the recognition of the rights of conscience in the first of William III., a number of serious people assembled for Worship in a building which had been previously used as a barn, described in the ancient trust deed to be “for the townspeople to hold their meetings in.” The first minister was the Rev. Andrew Grey, who subsequently conformed to the Church of England, and was presented with the living of Mottram. Since his day twelve pastors have preached in Tintwistle Chapel, many of whom have been men of eminent worth and most exemplary piety. The present minister is the Rev. Robert George Milne, M.A. There is a burial-ground attached to the chapel, on the north side of which is the minister’s residence. The Tintwistle Sunday School is a spacious building erected in 1819. It is used as a British School on the week days. In 1853 it was considerably enlarged at a cost of £350, raised by subscription. About 175 children attend the day school, Robert and Mary Marshall, teachers. In addition to the above the congregation have erected, two branch schools, one at Hollingworth and the other at Padfield, in Derbyshire. The outlay connected with the erection of the chapel, the minister’s house, and the three schools cannot have been much under £3,500.
The Wesleyan Methodist Chapel (Ebenezer) was erected in 1850, at, a cost of £350, raised by voluntary contributions. It is a neat edifice, comfortably fitted up, and will seat about 200 hearers.
Tintwistle Hall, formerly a wood dwelling, was anciently the seat of the de Burghs family, formerly lords of the manor. It was re-built of stone in 1653;
ARNFIELD is a small hamlet ¾ mile N. from the Church, at Tintwistle. Here calico printing was formerly carried on.
WOODHEAD or LONGDENDALE is a chapelry situated on the old line of road from Stockport to Sheffield, 6 miles N. by E. from Mottram. The valley is hemmed in by lofty mountains, covered with heath, and has a bleak, dreary, and inhospitable appearance. The only enclosed land in this district is in the vale of the Etherow, the whole of which is now converted into immense reservoirs for the supply of the city of Manchester with water. Woodhead Chapel is a very humble fabric, founded by Sir Edmund Shaa, Lord Mayor of London, under his will bearing date 1487, in which he says “ I woll have two honest preestes, oon of them to syng his mass and say his other divine service, in a chapel that I have made in Longdendale, in the countie of Chester, and pray especially for my soule, and for the souls, &c., and I woll that he have for his salarie yearley, for evermore, the sum of £4 6s. 8d.” In 1662 the chapel was in extreme decay, but was subsequently repaired. It again became much dilapidated about 30 years ago, but was again put in a state of reparation by the farmers. It is a very small fabric, of grey stone, with a belfry, situated near the road side, and about half a mile from the nearest habitation. The living is a perpetual curacy, value £90, in the gift of J. Tollemache, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. W. Bateson. The chapel is endowed with three small estates. The Parsonage is a neat residence about ½ mile W from the chapel.
The Manchester Corporation Waterworks are situate at Woodhead. The principal works in this gigantic scheme for supplying Manchester and the neighbourhood with water consists of a series of reservoirs, extending from the upper to the lower end of the valley of Longdendale, and mainly along the course of the river Etherow. The highest of these reservoirs is that at Woodhead, which is 131 acres area, and about 88,000,000 of cubic feet in capacity, The next reservoir lower down is the Torside, which is 158 acres in area and has a capacity of 240,000,000 cubic feet. The next is the Rhodes Wood reservoir, covering 54 acres. The last two reservoirs of this connected series are the Arnfield and the Hollingworth reservoirs, covering respectively 38 acres and 13 acres. These five reservoirs, therefore, have an area of 394 acres, and furnish a storage in the valley of Longdendale alone of nearly 560,000,000 cubic feet. Beginning, then, at the upper end of the Woodhead reservoir, a distance of 20 miles from Manchester, the works are so constructed as by means of watercourses and service reservoirs, which receive the water en route for Manchester, as to divert every mountain rill and pure stream into some of these vast receptacles. The whole of the works, with the exception of the Torside reservoir were completed about eight years ago.
The Sheffield and Manchester Railway runs on the south side of the river Etherow the entire distance of the valley of Longdendale, and has a station at Woodhead, where it enters the tunnel. From the station there are several trains each way daily. John Pratt station master. Near the Station are a number of cottages and several beerhouses on the Cheshire side of the river. The station Inn is just within the bounds of Derbyshire.
MICKLEHURST is a populous hamlet upwards of 5 miles N. from Tintwistle, which contains 125 houses and 619 inhabitants, of whom 286 were males and 339 females. The inhabitants are busily engaged in the manufacture of woollens and cotton spinning. This and the adjoining township of Stayley are the only places where the woollen manufacture is now carried on in this county, and that only to a very limited extent; this branch of industry has in most instances given place to the spinning, manufacture, and printing of cotton goods. On the proud eminence overlooking the village formerly stood Buckton Castle, not a vestige of which now remains. It was of an irregular form approaching to an oval, and had a moat on three sides, and on the other was a precipitous cliff. The lofty height upon which it stood commands a view of vast extent over the bleak and dreary wastes of this and the adjoining county of Yorkshire.
Charities. - The poor have the interest of £10 yearly left by John Hollingworth, in 1689. John Rhodes in 1756 gave £100 to the trustees of Tintwistle chapel, and directed one-half the interest to go towards the maintenance of the dissenting preacher, and the other half towards the education of six poor children. This and another sum of money, together amounting to £180, was invested in the purchase of Woodbottom farm, now let for £47 5s. per annum. It is considered the land was purchased at least £100 under the price, the seller allowing that sum for the purpose of increasing the salary of the minister. A yearly sum of £1 17s. is received from Lady Elizabeth Booth’s Charity, which is expended in clothing for the poor. This township also receives a yearly sum of £3, called the Apprentice and Clothing Money (see Mottram) which has often been added to the poor-rate instead of being given away in charity.
Post Office (Receiving Box), at Mr. Samuel Taylor’s. Letters are dispatched at 12.25 and 7.10 p.m.
Post Office (Receiving Box), at Mr. M. Lawton’s, Micklehurst. Letters are dispatched at 2.30 p.m.
Marked 1 reside at Arnfield, 2 Micklehurst, 3 Longdendale, 4 Crowdenbrook, and 5 Woodhead.
4 Bateson Rev. Wm., incmbt. of Woodhead
Critchley James, painter
Dearnaly Isaac, joiner
Dearnaly Mr. Thos., Townhead
Fox Rev. Richard Lord, curate
Gaunt Thomas, Watch and clock maker
Harrop Job, stonemason
Lawton Eli, ropemaker
Milne Rev. Robert Geo., (Independent)
2 Nield Edward, linen draper
Page Rev. Jas., incumbent, Christ Church, Parsonage
5 Pratt John, station master
2 Radcliffe Joseph, flannel manufacturer
2 Radcliffe Robert, flannel manufacturer
2 Radcliffe Wm., flannel manufacturer
2 Radcliffe Wm., jun., flannel manfcturer
Rhodes Mrs. Harriet, Myrtle Cottage
3 Schofield Mrs. Sarah, Richmond House
2 Shaw John, cotton waste dealer
2 Shaw Miss Mary Ann
2 Shaw Saml, cotton spinner, Breeze hill
Sidebottom James, Esq., Waterside
Tattersall Geo., mill manager, Vale House
Inns and Taverns.
5 Angel, William Bower
Black Bull, Benjamin Battye
Bull’s Head, Alfred Hampson
Church Inn, James Sykes
4 Commercial Inn, Thomas Howard
2 Dysart Arms, Joseph Hollingworth
5 George and Dragon, Joseph Garside
3 Shepherd Inn, Jane Hyde
2 Tollemache Arms, Joseph Whitehead
5 Tollemache Arms, John Newton
Waggon and Horses, Ann Hampson
Battye George
Chapman Robert
5 Cheetham Thomas
Gaunt John
5 Harrison Robert
2 Nield Mary
British, Robt. & Mary Marshall
National, John and Sarah Wild
4 Brown Thos. & Wm.
Boot and Shoe Makers.
Bradley Joseph
Hadfield George
Roberts Eli
Hollingworth Joseph
Shaw Betty
2 Tetlow John.
Cotton Spinnrs
2 Buckley John and Samuel
Cross Robert & Co. Bottoms Lodge Mills; h Bottoms Lodge
Hobbs Wm, Vale Mills
Schofield John (Exors of),Victoria Mills
2 Shaw Peter & Co., Croft Mills
Sidebottom J. & W. & Co, Waterside Mills
Sidebottom Thos. H. & Bro., Bridge Mill
Beestey John
1 Booth Abel
5 Bower William
4 Brocklehurst John
3 Buckley Esther
2 Buckley Robert
2 Buckley Joseph
Dearnaly Joseph
1 Downing John
1 Fielding James
1 Forshaw James
5 Garside Joseph
2 Greaves Benjamin
1 Greeneay Samuel
Hadfield Susannah, Crowden Hall
4 Hall Philip
1 Harrop Edmund
3 Hyde Elizabeth
3 Hyde Jane
Kay John Goddard
5 Moorehouse John
5 Newton John
2 Platt John
2 Radcliffe William and Sons
1 Rhodes Daniel
Roe Jph., Vale house
1 Snowden Turner
5 Sykes Hugh
2 Whitehead Joseph
3 Wortley William
Flannel Mnfrs.
2 Bottomley John
2 Radcliffe William, & Sons, Carr Mills
2 Lawton George (executors of) (& woollen manfctrs), Vale Mills; h Marle hs
2 Lees Thomas
2 Bottomley John
2 Buckley Joseph
2 Buckley Robert
Cooper Samuel
Gaunt Lydia
Handford Jph., Vale house
2 Lawton Major
Littlewood Jona
Moore John
2 Nield Mary
Rhodes John
Rhodes William
Sims Sarah
Swindells Edward, & corn dealer
Swindells Fanny
Taylor Samuel
2 Wrigley Joseph
Manchester, Sheffield, & Lincolnshire Railway statn, Woodhead. There are several trains call here betwixt Manchester & Sheffield daily. For departure see the Company’s Time Tables. John Pratt, station master.

DISLEY is a considerable village, township, and chapelry. pleasantly situated in the Macclesfield Hundred, on the Manchester and Buxton road, 6¼ miles S.E. from Stockport, and contains several good inns and a fine old church. It is surrounded with a bold undulating district, abounding with scenery of great diversity and picturesque beauty. The township comprises 2,452 acres of land, (mostly a thin soil, exposed, and cold); and in 1851 had 431 houses and 2,225 inhabitants, of whom 1145 were males and 1080 females. Rateable value £8,189. The rent charge amounts to £96 per annum Lord Somers is the Lord of the Manor, and William John Legh, Esq., the principal owner. A family which took its name from the township held lands at an early period, by the service of being foresters of Macclesfield. These lands seem to have been passed by inheritance to the Suttons and Sherds, or Sherts. The last-mentioned family, which was settled at Disley as early as the reign of Henry VI., continued to reside at Shert Hall in this township, till 1662.
The Chapel, dedicated to All Saints, is a handsome structure in the Gothic style, with a tower and six bells. It was re-built, consecrated, and made parochial in the year 1558. Since, that period it has been re-built, except the tower, and it was enlarged and beautified by Richard and Thomas Orford, Esqrs., in 1835, who also gave a fine organ, which cost upwards of £300. The east window is richly beautified with stained glass illustrative of Scripture history. The living is a perpetual curacy, returned at £117, in the patronage of W. J. Legh, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. Noble Wilson, who resides at the Parsonage, a neat residence a little west from the Church. Among the memorials is a handsome monument to Richard Orford, Esq., very finely sculptured. A flag-stone remembers Joseph Watson, buried June 3rd, 1753, aged 104 years. He was park keeper at Lyme upwards of 64 years.
The National Day and Sunday School is a substantial stone building, which was built by Thos. Legh, Esq., in 1825, and enlarged in 1834. It will hold about 600. About 100 children attend the day. and 350 the Sunday school. Jas. and Mary Ann Brunt are the teachers.
The Wesleyan Methodist Sunday School, ½ mile S.E. from the Church, was built by Mr. Heald. Mr. Vicars presented a library of upwards of 500 volumes for the use of the school and the workmen at his mill. The school is used as a place of worship by the Methodists on Sundays. The Wesleyans have also a Day and Sunday School situated about 1½ miles E. from the Church.
The Lock-up was erected in 1842. It is a small neat structure of stone. Mr. Thos. Morris is the keeper.
The following are the principal houses, with their bearing and distances from the Church. Cheshire View, ½ mile N.W., a handsome stuccoed villa, the residence of Legh Slater, Esq. Melbourne Villa, a neat brick residence erected in l858 and pleasantly situated on a commanding eminence opposite the Church, the seat and property of Mrs. Hannah Howard. Spring Bank Cottage, ¼ mile E., in the occupancy of Mr. Jas. Ralstone. Grove Mill and Waterside Mill are two extensive establishments for spinning and manufacturing cotton goods. Calico printing and candle wick manufacturing are also carried on in this township. The Peak Forest Canal and the Stockport, Disley, and Whaley Bridge Branch of the London and North-Western Railway both intersect the township, the latter of which was opened in 1857, and has a neat station here. Mr. James Munnerley is the station master.
Charities. - Thomas Ouff in 1629 left a rent charge of £1 3s. 4d. to be distributed in bread on Christmas-day. The poor's land consists of about three statute acres let for £4 4s a year. An old deed of the time of Charles I. appears to relate to this property. Francis Gaskell left the sum of £50 for, the benefit of the poor. This legacy was held by Thos Clayghton, agent to Colonel Legh, till 1822, when he became bankrupt, since which nothing has been paid, and the charity, it is feared, is irrecoverably lost. William Gaskell gave £10 to Disley Church, and to Disley School to be divided equally between them. Thomas Gaskell in 1736 gave £100 to be laid out in land, at the discretion of Peter Legh, Esq., and Mr. John Gaskell, of the interest, 20s. to be paid to the minister of Disley, and £3 10s. to the master of Disley School for the instruction of six poor children from Lyme Handley. The Parliamentary returns state that Alexander Knowles left £1 10s. to the poor, of which nothing is now known.
Post Office, at Mr. John Thorpe’s. Letters arrive at 7.30 a.m., and are despatched at 7.0 p.m.
Barnes Mrs Hannah
Bowden Robt., ironmonger
Brelsford James, stonemason
Brant Isaac & Mary Ann, National School
Fleming Edw., schoolmaster
Griffin Mr Thos.
Holdgate Thos., wheelwright
Howard Mrs Hannah, Melbourne Villa
Howard Saml., builder & timber mercht
Jackson Wm., painter
Lomas Mr George
Marsland John, shoemaker
Metcalfe James P., plumber & glazier
Moor Mr William
Morris Thos., police officer
Nunnerley James, station master
Platt John, saddler,
Ralston Mr James, Spring Bank Cottage
Slater Leigh, Esq.
Wilson Rev. Noble, Parsonage
Yates Thos., Dyer
Inns and Taverns.
Ram's Head Commercial Hotel, William Marshall
Ring o’ Bells, Isaac Brelsford
Soldier Dick, Samuel Bower
Swan with two Necks, Jordan Bradbury
White Horse, John Parker
White Lion, Hannah Dixon
Allen James
Ardern Thos.
Cook David
Parker James
Swindells Martin
Whitaker Sarah
Yates Geo. & painter
Lomas John
Marsland Wm.
Ardern Thos.
Taylor Adam
Calico Printers
Saxby & Marshall, Furness Works
Yates Chas. & Co. New Mills
Candlwk Mkrs.
Hibbert Robt., Newtown Mill
Moult Jas. & Thos.
Clayton Robt.
Hibbert Joseph
Patrickson Thos.
Cotton Spinnrs & Manufactrs.
Jones Wm. & Sons, Grove Mill
Marshall Jas. & Sons, Waterside
Adshead Elisha, Hall
Ardern Wm.
Ardern Wm.
Atherton Mrs —
Barrow Saml.
Barrow Wm.
Bennett John
Bullock James
Clayton Chas.
Clayton James
Clayton Samuel
Fernihough Jph.
Gaskel John
Green Jph.
Handford John
Handford Samuel
Howard John
Howard Wm.
Jackson Betty
Jackson Peter
Marshall Wm.
Mellor Ellen
Metcalf Jas. P.
Midworth Martha
Ollerenshaw Edw.
Ollerenshaw Mrs -
Ollerenshaw Thos. & Wm.
Pimlott Thos.
Wilson Wm.
Bailey Isaac
Bennett John
Chapman Ann
Clayton Robt.
Forbes Margt.
Foster Benj.
Heywood Robt.
Ollerenshaw Edw.
Patrickson Thos.
Simister James
Thorpe John
Whitaker Thos.
Fletcher Geo.
Hibbert Jph.
Johnson Wm.
Sidebotham Jas.
John Bennett, to Stockport, Friday

MARPLE is a large manufacturing village, township and chapelry, in the Macclesfield Hundred, about 5 miles E.S.E. from Stockport, pleasantly situated in a bold undulating district, commanding extensive views of the surrounding country. The township contains 3,030 acres of land (mostly freehold) of which 400 acres are in woods and plantations. In 1851 here were 700 houses and 3,558 inhabitants, of whom 1,735 were males and 1,823 females. Rateable value, £9,754. The principal owners are Thomas Bradshaw Isherwood, Esq., Peter Arkwright, Esq., John Wright, Esq., Carroll Worsley, Esq., Lawrence Heyworth, Esq., George Turner, Esq., James Shepley, Esq., Mr. Hall, Misses Eccles, Mr. William Johnson, and Mrs. Mary Stevenson. The Peak Forest Canal runs on the eastern side of the township, and a little east of the canal is the Goyt, which forms the boundary of the township, separating this county from Derbyshire. There is an extensive cotton factory in the township, a calico printing establishment, and bleach works, besides several collieries. Lime is also burned to a considerable extent, the works being situated near the Canal Wharf. The stone is mostly brought from the quarries near Chapel-en-le-Frith by the canal. The lime-works are the property of Peter Arkwright, .Esq., but carried on by Mr. George Swain.
Mr. Ormerod is of opinion that the ancient manor of Merpull alludes to the former expansion of the waters of the Goyt in the vale below. It is omitted in the Doomsday Survey, being most probably a waste district within the forest of the Earl; but In the time of Earl Randle a grant of lands, called Merpul and Wibreslegam, was made to Robert de Stockport. This property was subsequently re-granted to William Vernon, who was Chief Justice of Chester in 1280. In the 30th of Edward I. Richard de Vernon granted the manor of Marple to John de Mottram. Subsequently the manor was sold by Sir Edward Stanley to Thomas Hibbert, Esq. This is the last notice of the manor which has occurred, and the manorial rights have not been claimed for a considerable period.
The Church, dedicated to All Saints, stands on elevated ground, a conspicuous object for many miles round. It is a plain fabric, which was re-built on a larger scale in 1812, and has accommodation for 600 worshippers. It contains some very beautiful tablets to the memory of the Wrights, Isherwoods, and others, one of which, with a beautiful medallion, is to the memory of Saml. Oldknow, Esq., who projected the Peak Forest Canal, and was a great benefactor to this place and neighbourhood. The living is a perpetual curacy, returned at £150, augmented with £400 benefaction, £600 Queen Anne’s bounty, and £1,200 Parliamentary grant; the Rector of Stockport patron, and the Rev. Richard Dawson, M.A., incumbent. The tower contains the old bells of Stockport Church. The burial ground has been enlarged by a piece of land given by Peter Arkwright, Esq., for that purpose. It was consecrated by the Bishop of Chester on the 7th of August, 1854. The Parsonage is a neat stone residence a little south from the church. St. Thomas Church, High lane, is a small neat structure in the Norman style, erected in 1852. The interior is neatly fitted up, and contains sittings for 132 adults and 144 children. Of the sittings 32 are free. The cost of erection was £729, raised by voluntary contributions. The site for the church and churchyard, containing 3,072 yards, was given by the late Thomas Orford, Esq.,who also gave the bell and built the vestry. The medallions in the east window, and the ruby glass, were given by D. S. Clayton Esq., besides the sum of £75 towards the erection of the building. Messrs. Clayton and Brooke, Thomas Legh, Esq., James Shepley, Esq., and several others were also munificent contributors. The communion-plate was presented by the Rev S. W. Maul, curate of Marple, and the cloth for the communion table by Miss Swainson. The living is a perpetual curacy, value £100, in the gift of the incumbent of Marple. The Rev Chas. James Satterthwaite, incumbent. The Wesleyan Chapel is a small structure which will hold 300 persons. A burial ground is attached, near which is a Sunday School. The Primitive Methodists have a small chapel, built in 1828. The Independents have also a small chapel here, situated in Derbyshire. The Rev James Wm. Benson is the minister. The National School, a little north from the church, was built in 1837, by subscriptions and grants from the Educational Societies. Wm. Moores and Eliza Gill, teachers. There is also a National School and residence for the teacher at High-lane, erected in 1846 at a cost of about £600, raised by subscriptions, aided by a grant from the Committee of Council on Education. Wm. John and Mary Blackshaw, teachers. The Wesleyan Association Methodists have also a Sunday School at Marple Ridge.
Marple Hall, the residence and property of Thomas B. Isherwood, Esq., is one of the most interesting specimen of domestic architecture the county contains. The venerable structure, mantled with ivy, has the principal front within a square court, and was originally finished with gables, bay windows, and a tower over the entrance, which opens to a low hall darkened with painted glass, and heavy staircase, hung with armorial paintings, plans, and family portraits, and leading to small but numerous apartments. To the right of the house is the garden, to the left the offices, some of which have embattled gables. Behind the house is a terrace, which intervenes between the precipice on which it is built, and looks down the romantic vale beneath. The rooms are superbly furbished with antique furniture, and many of the windows are richly beautified with stained glass. Mr. Isherwood descended in the female line from the Bradshaw family, who formerly resided here, the property having been acquired about the year 1656 by the marriage of Henry, elder brother of President Bradshaw, with Mary, daughter of Barnard Welles, of Hope, in Derbyshire. The Bradshaws before this time resided at Wybersley Hall, the manor of which from time immemorial appears to have been an appendage to that of Marple. At this Hall President Bradshaw was born. His baptism is thus entered in the register of Stockport - “1602, John, the sonne of Henry Bradshaw, Of Marple, was baptized the 10 December.”
Wybersley Hall, the birthplace of John Bradshaw, President of “the High Court of Justice” which condemned King Charles I. is a small building now converted into a farm-house, situated about two miles south from the church. The judge relates in his will that he had his school education at Bunbury in Cheshire and Middleton in Lancashire; and tradition adds that he was also for some time at Macclesfield, with the strange circumstance annexed to the tale that he wrote the following sentence on a stone in the churchyard there: -
My brother Harry must heir the land;
"My brother Frank must be at his command;
While I, poor Jack will do that
That all the world shall wonder at.”

Bradshaw served his clerkship with an Attorney at Congleton, to which place he returned after residing some time in Gray’s Inn, and acted as councillor-at-law. The first time of his being employed in the affairs of Government seems to have, been in tile year 1644. In 1646 he was appointed one of the three Commissioners of the Great Seal for six months. In the February following both Houses voted him the office of Chief Justice of Chester, and he was also made one of the Judges for Wales. On the 3rd of January, 1649, when the Lords had adjourned their house, and it was found on their journal that they had rejected the ordinance for the trial of the King, the Commons voted the business to be performed by themselves alone, and chose Bradshaw and others for assistants. On the 10th the Commissioners appointed for the trial met, and elected Bradshaw (who was absent) as their President. His conduct in the High Court, which condemned the dethroned monarch to a violent death, has been so frequently related that we shall avoid entering into the details, and only observe that the strong attachment to republican principles which appears to have actuated him on that occasion animated him to the latest period of his existence; for when on his deathbed he was advised to examine himself about the matter of the King’s death, he affirmed, that if it were to do again “he would be the first man that should do it.” On February 14th, 1648, he was one of the thirty-eight persons whom the House had voted to compose a Council of State and invested with extraordinary powers. In the March following he was appointed Chief Justice of Wales, and in 1649 had £1,000 voted to him by the Parliament. On the escape of Duke Hamilton and some other state prisoners, an Act was passed constituting a new Court of Justice, and Bradshaw was made President. This caused a very unexpected change in his affairs; for on the same day that Cromwell dissolved the Long Parliament, and by that means destroyed the Commonwealth, it occasioned him to lose the Protector’s confidence; for, equally the opposer of unlimited power, whether exercised by a King or a usuper, the Judge disdained to submit in silence to illegal authority. After expelling the members of the House, Cromwell went to break up the Council of State, and prefaced his design with these words:- “If you gentlemen are met here as private persons you shall not be disturbed; but if as a Council of State this is no place for you, since you cannot but know what has been done in the House this morning.’’ To this Bradshaw boldly replied:- “Sir, we have heard what you did at the House this morning, and before many hours all England will hear of it. But, Sir, you are mistaken to think that Parliament is dissolved; for no power under heaven can dissolve them but themselves.” This speech completely alienated the Protector's affections from him, though at the same time it appears to have impressed him with respect; for in a conference with Desborough he observed that his work, after dissolving the Parliament, was not completed till he had also dissolved the Council of State, which “I did in spite of the objection of honest Bradshaw, the President.” Before this the sum of £3,000 per annum had been settled on him by the Parliament.
In the year 1654 Bradshaw was returned as representative for this county, and his behaviour was so inimical to Cromwell’s designs that the latter exerted his authority to prevent his being a second time returned. He also required him to resign his commission as Chief Justice of Chester; but this he steadily refused, alleging that he held that place by a grant from Parliament, and whether he had carried himself with that integrity which his commission exacted from him he was ready to submit to a trial by twelve Englishmen, to be chosen even by Cromwell himself. The firm adherence of Bradshaw to what he supposed were the principles of liberty prevented his being any more employed in state affairs during the Protectorship: yet after the death of Oliver he was again returned for Cheshire to the Parliament that met in January 1658-9, and soon after appointed one of the Commissioners to hold the broad seal for five months, but was dispossessed of his high office by the army who dissolved this Parliament, or Assembly as it was, called, by force. After the Restoration twenty-three persons who had acted as judges on the King were attainted, though, in their graves. Bradshaw, who died in the year 1659, being among the number, his body was taken up, and on the 30th of January, 166, the day appointed for this act of retributive justice, as it was termed, was drawn on a sledge to Tyburn, and with the remains of Cromwell and Ireton hung on the several angles of the gallows, under which their mutilated trunks were afterwards buried, their beads having been first cut off and fixed, on Westminster Hall. Bradshaw, in his will, made many Charitable bequests, among which was the sum of £700 to purchase an annuity for maintaining a free school at Marple. The probate copy of his will is yet at Marple Hall, but the observance of its provisions was completely interrupted by the changes made in the destination of his property at the Restoration. Henry Bradshaw elder brother of the President was a very prominent character during the rebellion. He signed the petition from the county for making the Presbyterian the established religion of the land, He was a magistrate and had the command of the Macclesfield Hundred Militia. He sat on the trial of the Earl of Derby, at Chester, in 1652.
The following are the principal hamlets and scattered houses, with their bearings and distances from the Church:- Hawk Green, a number of houses, chiefly cottages, a little W.W. by S. Marple Ridge, half a mile S. Ridge End and Turf Lee, a mile S. Dooley Lane, 1½ mile N. High Lane, 2 miles W. Marple Bridge, 1 mile E.E. by N., near to which is Brabin’s Hall, a handsome stone residence, embosomed in foliage, the seat of John Wright, Esq. At Marple Dale, on the north-east confines of the township, is a noble aqueduct, erected for the Peak Forest Canal. It consists of three lofty arches 93 feet high, and the entire length is 309 feet; contiguous to it a very handsome and commodious hotel has been built. The scenery of Marple vale is beautifully picturesque and romantic; indeed there are few places in Cheshire which have such a pleasing combination of sylvan beauties. From Marple to the aqueduct, a distance of little more than a mile, there are sixteen locks on the canal. The entire fall is 212 feet.
Charities. - The Free School is a building of two stories, the lower part being occupied as a school, and the upper rooms are used as a residence for the teacher. Henry Bradshaw, who survived his brother, the President, founded a school here and endowed it with the interest of £100. The only emolument the master now receives is a sum of about £3 14s. per annum from different sources, the sum of £100 having been lost about eighteen years ago by the insolvency of J. K. Winterbottom, a solicitor.
George Barnes in 1699, bequeathed a yearly rent charge of £10, issuing out of lands and tenements in Marple; £8 per annum to be paid in apprentice fees, 20s. to the minister and 20s. to the schoolmaster. Mr. Marriott purchased the Barns Fould estate, from which the rent charge issues, in the year 1787, at which time an arrear was due to the charity of £47 12s. A book, with the debtor and creditor account of the charity was produced, but kept in a very confused manner, and disclosing great misapplication of the charity funds. Money had been spent improperly, and in many instances no balance had been struck for many years. Mr, Marriott, in January, 1830, debited himself with the balance of £50 1s. 2d.
John Sidebotham, by will 1714, gave the interest of £10 to the schoolmaster, and the interest of a like sum to the minister. He also bequeathed the residue of his personal estate, after certain legacies, to the poor. It appears, after the said legacies were paid, there was a sum of £34, which, with the £20 and £2, left by Peter Low, came into the hands of Mr. Marriott, who gave no security for it; but the balance acknowledged to be due to the charity amounted to £69 3s. 9½d. The benefactions of Mary Peel, of £10 to the chapel, and £10 to the poor, have been lost.
In 1854, Mrs. Bridge, of Manchester, erected almshouses for widows, who each receive 4s, per week.
Post Office at Joseph Rowbottom’s, Jolly Sailor’s Inn., Letters arrive at 7.0 a.m., and are despatched at 7.15 p.m.
Post Office at George Norbury's, High lane. Letters arrive at 7.15 a.m., and are despatched at 7.15 p.m.
Those marked 1 are at Marple Bridge; 2, High lane; 3, Hawk green; 4, Ridge; 5, Dooley lane; 6, Marple dale; and the rest are in Marple, Marked * are in Derbyshire.
Alien James, stationer & col. of debts, &c.
Bartons & Sidebottom, calico printers
1 Benson Rev James Wm.
Cooper Jas, bleacher, Spring Water mill
Dawson Rev. M.A. Parsonage
Eccles Misses Martha, Jane, & Amelia, Beams Moor House
Ernill Eliz., milliner
Ernill Joshua, reg. of births & deaths for Marple district
2 Fairhall Saml., watch mkr & auctioneer
3 Fearnley Isaac, hardware dlr
1 Gee Danl., leather cutter
Goodall John Walker, mfr. of plaster of Paris, terra Alba, mineral, white, Portland, & Roman Cement, Marple Mills Mineral Co.’s Wharf, Sackville st; h Manchester
2 Hardie Herbert, mert., Oxford House
1 Hibbert Emnl., corn miller
Howe Wm., druggist
Hyde Wm., parish clerk & sexton
Isherwood Thos. Bradshaw, Esq., Marple Hall
Johnson Wm., solr. & coroner
Kent Joseph, wharfinger
Lynell John, supt. of Peak Forest
Rollinson Mr James
2 Satterthwaite Rev. Chas. Jas., incmbt. of St. Thomas’
Shenton Joseph, police officer
3 Shipley Jas., cotton spinner
2 Speakman Chas., comsn agent
Stevenson Mrs Mary, The Field
2 Swarbrick Mr Richard.
Taylor Randolphus, tanner & currier
Turner Wm. Henry, gent
Walmsley Mrs Betty, The Hollins
Walmsley Chas. Edw., gent, The Hollins
Walmsley Wm. Thos., gent, The Hollins
Waterhouse James, cotton waste dlr
Withington Geo. B., solicitor
2 Woodruffe Mr Geo.
Wright John, Esq., Brabin's Hall
1* Yarwood Saml., spade mkr
Inns and Taverns.
Bowling Green. Geo. Waine
Bull's Head, John Green
2 Bull's Head, Sarah Silkstone
Crown, Peter Rodgers
2 Dog & Partridge, Wm. Bagshaw
1 Hare & Hounds, Wm. Taylor
1* Horse Shoe, Thos. Tunnicliffe
2 Horse Shoe, Thos. Armfield
Jolly Sailor, Joseph Rowbottom
Navigation Inn, Geo. Swain
1* Norfolk Arms, Chas. Hyde
2 Red Lion, Wm. Ardern
Ring o’ Bells, Robert Bowden
Sportsman’s Arms, Hannah Sidebottom
Bennett Jph.
Bowden Chas.
1 Fox Robert
Richardson Jph.
Sumner Geo.
Boothroyd John
3 Dixon Wm.
National, Wm. Moors & Eliza Gill
2 National, Wm. Mary Blackshaw
2 Broadhurst John
1 Taylor Wm.
Boot and Shoe Makers.
1 Beard Wm.
3 Graham Joshua
2 Ardern Wm.
Bennett John
Sheldon John
Taylor Joseph
2 Bagshaw Wm.
Barlow Isaac, Higher Dam Bank
Booth John
2 Booth Robt.
Bowens Wm.
Bridge Thos.
2 Broadhurst John
2 Broadhurst Sarah
Clayton Elizth.
Clayton Joseph
Cooper Eliz., Wybersley Hall
Fidler John, Lower Dam bank
Fielding Wm., Nab Cop
2 Garside Robert
4 Hadfield Chas.
Hadfield Elizth.
Hadfield Samuel
Hall James
Higginbottom John
Hyde Chas.
Hyde Joshua
Hulme Thos.
Jinks James, & boat builder
Kellett Joseph
Leech Thos.
4 Longston Thos.
Marriott Joshua, Rose hill
2 Norbury Geo.
6 Platt Geo.
4 Pott Susan
Priestnall James
Rodgers Peter
Rowbottom James
Rowbottom Eli
Rowbottom Geo.
Rowbottom Joseph
Sidebottom Hanh.
Stafford Danl., Cote-field Farm
Swindells Wm.
Taylor Joseph
Wadsworth James
Wardle Noah
Waring Jph. & timber dlr
Westbrook James
Wilde James
Wyatt Joseph
3 Alsop Isaac
1 Ardern Mary
1* Baxter Maria Howard
3 Bridge Mary
Bowden Chas.
Bowden Jph. & corn factor
Co-operative Society, Wm. Broadhurst, agent
Fielding Josiah
3 Moore John
2 Norbury Geo.
Paulden Mary
Rowbottom James
Shalcross Nancy
2 Tomlinson John
Waine John
3 Wardle Noah
Wheeldon Robt.
Flowe John
1 Hibbert James
Allen Thos.
Dawson Joseph
Jackson James
Jackson Joseph
1* Longley Wm.
Mason Thos.
2 Broadhurst John
Morton John
From New Mills to Manchester, Calls at the Jolly Sailor daily at 9.0 a.m., & returns at 7.0 p.m.


Button image GJH.me Home Page. Button image Glossop History Resources Page.

Last updated: 13 August 2020