Pigot's Directory of Derbyshire 1835
Entries for the area of the Ancient Parish of Glossop.


GLOSSOP,
WITH THE TOWNSHIPS OF HADFIELD, PADFIELD, AND WHITFIELD, THE HAMLETS OF CHARLESWORTH, HOWARD’S TOWN AND NEIGHBOURHOODS.
GLOSSOP is a village and township, in the populous and extensive parish of its name, in the hundred of High Peak ; 184 miles from London. 50 n.n.w. from Derby, 25 n. w. from Sheffield,and 13 s. e. from Manchester, This village, which is one of great manufacturing consequence, is situate on a rising bank, springing from one of the deepest valleys in the Peak.
The country around is very pleasing, and many of the views may be considered romantic: plantations abound in the home scenery, and the lands in the low grounds are fertile; but the mountainous parts are less productive. In Glossop and its vicinity there are upwards of forty establishments for the spinning of cotton, and the manufacture of various fabrics from that article; for calico printing also, there is an extensive concern at Dinting-vale, and woollen goods are made to a limited extent: there are, besides, two paper mills in the neighbourhood, at one of which (Dinting Mill,) the article is manufactured by patent machinery. Coal is worked about three miles hence, and from these mines Glossop and the neighbourhood are principally supplied. Glossop is one of the stations appointed by the new Boundary Act, for receiving votes at the election of knights of the shire, to represent the northern division of the county. The Duke of Norfolk is lord of the manor, and holds courts-leet at Easter and Michaelmas ; at the latter period a constable and headborough are appointed, in whom the government of the township is vested. Glossop is in the honour of Tutbury, and within the jurisdiction of a court of pleas, held there every third Tuesday, for the recovery of debts under forty shillings.
The church, which is dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient structure: the body has been rebuilt, and public worship was performed in it, for the first time after the repairs were completed, in September, 1832.
The living is a discharged vicarage, in the patronage of the Duke of Norfolk, and incumbency of the Rev. Christopher Howe. In the church is a monument, by Bacon, to the memory of Joseph Hague, Esq. of Park Hall, near Hayfield, who bequeathed the interest of £1000. towards clothing twenty-four poor men and women, of this and some of the adjacent townships.
Glossop Hall, the property of the Duke of Norfolk, is near the village ; and at Gamesley, about a mile to the west, is Melandra Castle, the vestiges of a Roman station. On Wednesday, the 30th of July, 1834, the neighbourhood of Glossop was visited by a most tremendous tempest; the village appeared, at one time, to be enveloped in one almost continuous blaze of lightning, while the thunder, pealing amongst the hills, was unusually loud and terrific, and the rain and hail poured down in quantities, of which no description can present an adequate idea : an overwhelming flood was the consequence, which swept down the valley with impetuous force, carrying devastation in its resistless course, and striking with dismay the inhabitants. The brook which waters Glossop, increased by the streams from the hills, assumed a most appalling appearance, and, rushing onward, threatened destruction to all erections on its banks, and to bridges which crossed it. Several mills received great injury ; amongst which, Mr. John Kershaw’s factory, at Hurst, sustained damage to the amount of upwards of £1000.: two young women and a child, belonging to these works, perished in the flood, and others were severely bruised. In addition to the mischief done to the factories and works, very extensive injury occurred to the fields, gardens, fences, roads, and bridges, of which last, four were entirely destroyed. Such was the suddenness, violence, and rapidity of the torrent, that not only sheep and lambs, but hares, rabbits, and even birds, were carried away by it; and it is said that some fish were caught on the turnpike road.
A fair, for cattle and various commodities, is held on the 6th of May. The entire parish of Glossop contained, by the census taken in 1821,13,766inhabitants, and by that for 1831, 18,080, of which last number 2,012 were returned for the township.
Hadfield is a village, in the township of Hadfield and Dinting, in the parish of Glossop, about two miles west therefrom. About thirty years ago this township was strictly an agricultural district, with a small population ; but at the last census it contained 1,270 inhabitants.
Padfield is a township, in the parish of Glossop, about two miles north-west from that village. The cotton manufacture prevails here extensively, and has been the means of more than doubling its population in ten years, as, by the census taken in 1821, it contained only 499 inhabitants, and in 1831, 1,102.
Whitfield is also a township in the parish of Glossop, situate about a mile and a half north from that village, on the road leading to Chapel-en-le-Frith. Like the neighbouring townships in this parish, it is indebted for its consequence to the manufactories established within its limits. A school was founded and endowed, by the late Joseph Hague, Esq. (before mentioned) in 1779, and the school-house was erected about 1786. A chapel, for Wesleyan Methodists, is the only place of worship in this township - which contained, at the last census, 1,734 inhabitants, having nearly doubled its population in ten years.
Charlesworth is a populous hamlet, about three miles south-west from Glossop, in that parish; it contains a place of worship for independent Calvinists, and a population (by the last returns) of 1,206 inhabitants, who are chiefly supported by the manufacturing interest. _
Howard’s Town, once called Bridge-end, is a hamlet in Glossop parish, one mile from that town. This is a thriving little place - called into consequence within a comparatively few years, by the erection of some extensive cotton manufactories. Here are two respectable inns, the ‘Howard’s Arms’ and the ‘Norfolk Arms.’ Population returned with Glossop parish.
POST OFFICE, Norfolk Arms, Howard’s Town, Joseph Oates, Post Master. - Letters from Manchester arrive every evening at a quarter past six, and are despatched every morning at six,
GENTRY AND CLERGY.
Adamson Rev. John, Charlesworth
Ellison Thomas, esq. (agent to his grace the Duke of Norfolk) Glossop hall
Fauvel Rev. Francis, Glossop
Hadfield Joseph, esq. Lees hall
Harrison Rev. Thomas, Glossop
Hollingworth Mr. John, Glossop
Howe Rev. Christopher, Glossop
Lees Mr. Robert, Padfield brook
Oates Mr. Benjamin, Cowbrook
Partington Rev. George, Whitfield
Thornely John, esq. Chisworth
ACADEMIES AND SCHOOLS.
Adamson William, Charlesworth
Fielding Joseph, Glossop
Garlick John, Whitfield
Grammar School, Glossop - Rev Thomas Harrison, master
Hague’s Charity School, Whitfield - John Dearnaley, master
Harrop Joseph, Hadfield
Nutter John, Glossop
Winterbottom Robert, Glossop
BANK.
Manchester and Liverpool District Banking Company (branch of) Howard’s Town - Saml. Bolton Tomlins, manager - (open on Saturdays only - draw on Smith, Payne and Co. London) BLACKSMITHS.
Bennett John & Jos. Charlesworth
Bennett Joseph, Charlesworth
Bennett Robert, Rose green
Bennett Thomas, Glossop
Bennett William, Charlesworth
Calow Joseph, Mill town
Dawson Robert, Dinting bridge
Dewsnap Thomas, Hadfield
Greaves Benjamin, Howard’s Town
Jackson Michael, Rose green
Marshall Robert, Symmondley
Pickford Samuel, Chunal
Rhodes John, Howard’s Town
BOOT AND SHOE MAKERS
Alsop John, Glossop
Collier James, Rose green
Cooper John, Holehouse
Cooper Moses, Green vale
Dearnley William, Hadfield
Fielding William, Hadfield
Harrison John, Glossop
Jackson John, Charlesworth
Pickford John, Padfield
Raworth Thomas, Glossop
Scholes George, Foxholes
Shepley Thomas, Charlesworth
Sheppard James, Howard’s Town
Sheppard William, Mill town
Taylor Thomas, Howard’s Town
Wood George, Mill town
BUTCHERS.
Booth Thomas, Charlesworth
Booth William, Symmondley
Bray Henry, Hadfield
Broadbent Samuel, Padfield
Collier James, Howard’s Town
Goddard Samuel, Charlesworth
Hall John, Charlesworth
Moss John, Hadfield
Newton Richard, Hadfield
Pott John, Howard’s Town
Robinson Joseph, Howard's Town
Shaw Robert, Glossop
Thorneley Joseph, Charlesworth
Wagstaffe Robert, Howard’s Town
CALICO PRINTERS.
Potter Charles and Edward & Co. (assignees of) Dinting vale
COTTON BANDING MAKERS.
Booth George, Holehouse
Harrison John, Woodseats
Rowbotham James, Chew wood
COTTON SPINNERS.
Barber John and Co. Shepley mill
Barber William, Padfield brook
Bennett John and Joseph, Turnlee
Bowden John, Holehouse
Cooper Joseph, Holehouse
Hadfield and Wilkinson, Croden brook, Cheshire
Hadfield William, Cowbrook
Harrison Benjamin, Kinder lee
Howard Joseph, Bridge field
Kershaw James, Charlestown
Kershaw John, jun. Hurst mill
Lees Henry, Woolley bridge
Lees John, Padfield brook
Marsland Samuel & Henry, Broadbottom bridge, near Mottram
Platt George, Padfield
Platt William & Thomas, Hadfield Lodge
Robinson and Hadfield, Glossop
Rusby and Linney, Mill town
Shepley Robert, Glossop
Shepley Samuel, Brookfield
Sidebottom John & William & Co. Waterside, nr. Mottram, Cheshire
Sumner Francis, Wren nest mill
Wardlow William, Bank Wood mill, near Mottram
Waterhouse Benjamin, Glossop
Wood John, Howard’s Town mill
DRESS MAKERS.
Harrop Ellen, Woolley bridge
Parr Ellen, Howard’s Town
DRUGGISTS.
Booth John, Howard’s Town
Braddock Thomas, Green vale
Jackson William, Howard’s Town
Kinder Robert, Howard’s Town
GROCERS AND DEALERS IN SUNDRIES.
Alsop John, Mill town
Bancroft William, Charlesworth
Barber Samuel, Howard’s Town
Barber William, Padfield
Bennett George, Whitfield
Booth Abraham, Symmondley
Booth John, Holehouse
Booth John, Howard’s Town
Bowden George, Glossop
Bradbury John, Charlesworth
Braddock Thomas, Green vale
Bray Henry, Hadfield
Brocklehurst George, Charlesworth
Buckley Robert, Charlestown
Collier Samuel, Howard’s Town
Cooper James, Glossop
Cooper Joseph, Whitfield
Dewsnap James, Hadfield
Fielding Jerry, Green vale
Garlick Thomas, Howard’s Town
Garside John, Woolley bridge
Goddard John, Waterside
Goddard Samuel, Charlesworth
Goodison Esther, Glossop
Hadfield John, Hadfield
Hadfield Martha, Hadfield
Hall James, Glossop
Hall William, Glossop
Harrison James, Kinder lee
Harrop James, Glossop
Harrop Joseph, Green vale
Heeney Michael, Hadfield
Irlam John, Howard's Town
Jackson James, Charlesworth
Lee Isaiah, Glossop
Lees John, Padfield
Massey Daniel, Mill town
Platt John, Brookfield
Robinson James, Whitfield
Robinson James, Glossop
Robinson John, Howard’s Town
Schofield John, Rose green
Shaw James (and tallow chandler) Rose green
Shaw Joseph, Glossop
Shaw William, Howard’s Town
Sheppard Abram, Glossop
Sheppard William, Mill town
Sheran Edward, Glossop
Smithies Henry, Symmondley
Sykes Jerry, Green vale
Sykes William, Woolley bridge
Thorneley Joseph, Charlesworth
Thorpe Betty, Glossop
Wagstaff Aaron, Mill town
Warhurst Thomas, Hadfield
Wilkinson Thomas, Glossop
INNS.
Howard Arms, John Wagstaffe, Howard’s Town
Norfolk Arms, Joseph Oates, Howard’s Town
JOINERS, &c.
Ashworth John, Glossop
Bradbury John, Charlesworth
Gee Thomas, Charlesworth
Thorpe Betty, Glossop
Warhurst James, Hadfield
LINEN DRAPERS.
Heeney Michael, Hadfield
Howe Thomas, Howard’s Town
Robinson Joseph, Howard’s Town
Taylor Edwin, Rose green
MANUFACTURERS—VARIOUS.
Bosley, Smith & Bosley (silk) Glossop
Lees Henry (by power) Woolley brdge
Robinson Geo. (woollen) Primrose
Robinson Jos. (woollen) Gnat hole
Sidebottom John and William and Co. (by power) Waterside, near Mottram, Cheshir
Wood John (by power) Howard’s Town mill
PAINTERS, PLUMBERS AND GLAZIERS.
Hegginbottom Jos. Howard’s Town
Hegginbottom Joseph, Glossop
Predary Charles, Charlesworth
Wagstaff Aaron, Mill town
Warhurst John, Hadfield
PAPER MAKERS.
Bennett John & Joseph, Turn lee
Oliver Samuel (by patent machinery) Dinting mill
SCALE BOARD MAKERS.
Bennett John and Joseph,Turn-lee
Wagstaff Charles, Glossop
STRAW HAT MAKERS.
Knott Nathaniel, Mill town
Platt Mary and Sarah, Rose green
SURGEONS.
Begley William Chapman, Mill town
Bowden John, Glossop
Eastham Thomas, Hadfield
Hunt William, Charlesworth
Jones Henry William, Hadfield
Rusby John, Mill town
TAILORS.
Blunt Joseph, Hadfield
Booth John, Howard’s Town
Bowden James, Glossop
Dewsnap Valentine, Glossop
Dixon William, Charlesworth
Gill Charles, Hadfield
Goodwin Thomas, Charlestown
Hall Aaron, Howard’s Town
Hall James, Glossop
Neild George, Holehouse
Taylor Edwin (& draper) Rose green
Wrigley Thomas, Howard’s Town
TAVERNS & PUBLIC HOUSES.
Anchor, John Garlick, Hadfield
Bull’s Head, John Hall, Charlesworth
Bull’s Head, James Platt, Glossop
George & Dragon, Martha Booth, Charlesworth
Grey Mare, George Brocklehurst, Charlesworth
Hare & Hounds, Jos. Hadfield, Glossop
Horse Shoe, Jos. Bennett, Charlesworth
Horse Shoe, Samuel Pickford, Chunal
Junction, Thomas Preston, Green vale
King’s Arms, Samuel Cooper, Chew-wood
Royal Oak, Joshua Shepley, Cock road
Spinners’ Arms, Jonathan Shaw, Hadfield
Spread Eagle, Ths. Bowden,Woolley bridge
RETAILERS of BEER
Barber Mary, Padfield
Bradbury George, Charlestown
Cooper Wright, Green vale
Crowther Mary, Woolley bridge
Dewsnap Joseph, Woolley bridge
Dewsnap Robert, Glossop
Dewsnap William, Green vale
Ford John, Howard’s town
Hacking Thomas, Woolley bridge
Hall John, Whitfield
Hampson Jordan, Mill town
Hampson Robert, Hadfield
Harrop Thomas, Howard’s town
Jackson James, Charlesworth
Knott John, Glossop
Linney Betty, Mill town
Priestnall William, Charlestown
Robinson James, Whitfield
Rolley John, Hadfield
Schofield John, Rose green
Shaw Ellen, Chunal
Siddall John, Green vale
Wagstaffe Robert, Howard’s town
Wait Joseph, Glossop
Wilde Robert, Glossop
Wood Ellen, Padfield
Woolley John, Howard’s town
TIN-PLATE WORKERS.
Hegginbottom Jos. Howard’s town
Lawton Caleb, Glossop
Wait Joseph, Glossop
WHEELWRIGHTS.
Beard Joseph, Charlesworth
Bennett Samuel, Dinting bridge
Cockayne Samuel, Mill town
Fielding Thomas, Whitfield
MISCELLANEOUS.
Aveson Robert, corn miller, Mill town
Bennett George Cresswell, roller coverer, Mill town
Booth Jas. machine maker, Charlesworth
Broadbent Abraham,cotton doubler, Glossop
Collier Thos. watch, &c. maker, Howard’s town
Dawson Josephus, slater and plasterer, Charlesworth
Hampson Charles, cooper, Rose green
Hardman Jas. saddler, &c. Howard’s town
Kinder Edwin, warve maker, Glossop
Langstaff Thomas, cotton waste dealer, Rose green
Lee Levi, wood skewer maker, Glossop
Ovens Thomas, hatter, Howard’s town
Preston Thomas, auctioneer, Green vale
Rhodes John,vety. Surgeon, Howard’s town
Shaw John, inventor & maker of valve trumpets and horns, Mill town
Shepley Joseph, tanner, Charlesworth
Shepley Saml, currier. &.c. Howard’s town
Sheppard Abram, bookseller, &c. Glossop
Thorneley John, coal proprietor, Holehouse
White George,s»tone merchant, Whitfield
COACHES.
To MANCHESTER, the Royal Mail, from the Norfolk Arms, every morning at six - the Umpire (from Sheffield) calls at the same Inn, every afternoon at half-past one - and the Regulator, every evening at half-past seven; all go thro’ Mottram, Stalybridge, Ashton, &c.
To SHEFFIELD, the Regulator (from Manchester) calls at the Norfolk Arms, every forenoon at eleven - & the Umpire, every afternoon at half-past one.
CARRIERS.
From Glossop when not otherwise expressed.
To MANCHESTER, Ann Johnson, daily - Thomas Knott, every, Tues Thurs. and Saturday - John Burgess & James Harrop, every Tuesday and Saturday - and Jasper Warhurst and Simeon Lee, from Hadfield, every Tuesday & Sat
To SHEFFIELD, Ann Johnson, daily.
To, STOCKPORT, Henry Sheppard, every Friday - and William Sheppard, every Tuesday and Friday.

HAYFIELD AND NEIGHBOURHOOD.
HAYFIELD, an independent chapelry, generally included in the parish of Glossop, is four miles s. from Glossop, and about the same distance n. from Chapel-en-le-Frith. It is a populous manufacturing district, having several large cotton spinning factories, and one for woollen goods. The church is a handsome modern edifice, rebuilt by the inhabitants in 1818, and the interior is much admired for its neatness. The living is a perpetual curacy, and the resident freeholders have the privilege of nominating the minister. This peculiar right it seems was granted by Richard II, in the year 1386. The present incumbent is the Rev. Samuel Wasse, M.A. who is also the head master of the free grammar school, at Sherborne, Yorkshire. Here is a large day and Sunday school belonging to the establishment; the day school having an endowment for the education of a limited number of free scholars, who, together with the children of the town and neighbourhood, are taught by Mr. E. Adamson, the present master. A meeting-house is here for the Methodists’ old connexion, who also have a large Sunday school. About a mile from Hayfield,on the Glossop road, is situated Park Hall, the beautiful seat of John White, Esq. a magistrate for the county of Derby. The population of the whole chapelry, including the out-townships, by the parliamentary returns, is about 3,600.
POST OFFICE, George Inn, Rachael Quarmby, Post Mistress. - Letters from Stockport arrive every evening at six, and are despatched every morning at a quarter before seven.
GENTRY AND CLERGY.
Ibbotson Mr. John, Little Hayfield
Marriott Mr. John, Hayfield
Marriott Mr. Thomas, Hayfield
Ridgway Mrs.—, Little Hayfield
Wasse Rev. Samuel, Hayfield
Waterhouse Mr, James, Hayfield
White John, esq. Park hall
PROFESSIONAL PERSONS.
Adamson Ebenezer, master of the town’s school
Brierley John, surgeon
Wasse Rev. Samuel, gentlemen's boarding academy
INNS & PUBLIC HOUSES.
Bridge, Martha Turner
Bull’s Head, Jerry Bennett
George Inn, Rachael Quarmby
Pack Horse, John Brocklehurst
COTTON SPINNERS.
Bennett Thomas & Co.
Bowden Joseph, New mill
Rangeley Aaron
Ridgway Samuel & Co. (& manufacturers)
SHOPKEEPERS, TRADERS, &c
Bowden Joseph, retailer of beer
Bradbury Robert, shopkeeper
Brailsford John, tailor
Brocklehurst James, cotton banding manufacturer
Brocklehurst John, blacksmith
Brown James, bleacher
Eyre George, woollen manufacturer
Eyre Thomas, butcher
Hadfield Joseph, boot & shoe maker
Hallum Isaac, tailor
Hampson Samuel, wheelwright
Hobson John, shopkeeper
Howard William, shopkeeper
Hudson John, butcher
Lucas Edwd.& Sons, calico printers
Lyne Daniel, painter and glazier
Mason Joel, joiner and builder
Mason Samuel, shopkeeper
Middleton William, miller
Pritchard John, boot & shoe maker
Rangeley Aaron, shopkeeper
Rangeley Dennis, joiner and builder
Rangeley Isaac, joiner and builder
Rangeley Jonah, joiner and builder
Redfern Geo. cotton banding manfr
Shaw James, horse dealer
Slack Robt. tanner & paper maker
Stafford John, retailer of beer
Turner George, cooper
Turner Joseph, boot & shoe maker
Turner William, butcher
Walker James, boot & shoe maker
Walker Jno. corn dealer & druggist
Walker John, shopkeeper
Walker Wm. boot and shoemaker
Warrington John, stone mason
Waterhouse John, blacksmith
Waterhouse Martha, shopkeeper
Wilde Robert, parish clerk
CARS & CARRIERS.
To MANCHESTER, a Car, from the George Inn, every Tuesday morning at seven ; goes through New Mills, Marple and Stockport - and John Barber and David Beard, carriers, from their own houses, every Tuesday.
To STOCKPORT, a Car, from the George Inn, every Friday and Saturday morning at seven - and John Barber, David Beard, and Joseph Gee, carriers, from their own houses, every Friday.

MELLOR (Derbyshire),
WITH MARPLE, ROMILY, AND COMPSTALL BRIDGE (Cheshire.)
MELLOR, a chapelry in the parish of Glossop in the High Peak hundred, is two miles from Marple, six and a half from Glossop, eight from Chapel-en-le- Frith, seven from Stockport, and 14 from Manchester. The church, dedicated to St. James, which is of stone, is erected on a commanding situation, a short distance from the village : the Rev. Matthew Freeman enjoys the curacy for life: the gift of the living is in the Thornton family. Here is a small Sunday-school, belonging to the church, and Wesleyan and primitive Methodist chapels. In a vault In the church-yard is a coffin,cut out of the solid stone; the lid of which is of the same material, and is covered with masonic characters cut in the stone : the person for whom this substantial and final requisite was made is still living, and personally superintended its construction. The extensive concern of T. R. and S. Waller, cotton spinners and thread manufacturers, here,gives employment to a great number of hands. The population of the chapelry, in 1821, was 2,099, and at the last census (1831) it had sustained a diminution of 40 persons.-
Roworth, about a mile from Mellor, is a hamlet in the same parish as that town, in Glossop dale; containing several manufactories in the cotton branch, from which the inhabitants of the hamlet derive their support.
Marple and Marple Bridge, commonly called Upper and Nether Marple, (Nether Marple, or Marple Bridge, being situate in the county of Derby,) form a chapelry in the parish of Stockport, about five miles E.S.E. from that town, and 12 from Manchester. The spinning of cotton, bleaching, and calico printing, are carried on to some extent in the chapelry and neighbourhood, and upon the river Goyt are some corn mills. Not far from the village is a noble aqueduct of three arches, which bestrides the river Mersey. A branch from the Peak Forest canal to Macclesfield, was opened here on the 9th November, 1831; It joins the Mersey canal at Lawton, being twenty-six miles and a quarter in length, and is a most material convenience to this manufacturing neighbourhood. Wyberslegh hall, now a farm house, is noted as the birth place of the notorious John Bradshaw, who was president of the high court of justice which condemned King Charles I. In the registers of Stockport church his birth is thus entered: ‘1602, John the Sonne of Henry Bradshaw, of Marple, was baptized the 10th of December.' In the margin is the word traitor, with a line under it. It is said the following prophetic lines were written by this staunch adherent to republican principles, on a stone in the church-yard of Macclesfield:
“My brother Henry must heir the land,
My brother Frank must be at his command:
While I, poor Jack, will do that
That all the world shall wonder at”
He died in 1659. The probate copy of his will, which may still be seen at Marple hall, contains a bequest of £700. to purchase an annuity for maintaining a free school, at Marple; the changes brought about with regard to property, at the restoration, prevented this provision from being available. Henry Bradshaw, who survived his brother, however, founded a small school here, and endowed it with the interest of £100 which has since been augmented by other benefactions. Marple hall is a noble old house, finely situate on the rise of a hill above the Goyt, and is the property, as well as Wyberslegh hall, of John lsherwood, Esq. a descendant of the before-named president Bradshaw. Here is a chapel of ease to Stockport, re-built of stone, with a tower, containing the old bells of Stockport church. It is dedicated to All Saints, and the living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the rector of Stockport - the Rev. W. W. Johnson is the incumbent: the registers commenced in 1655. Besides the church, here are chapels for Wesleyan and primitive Methodists. The chapelry contained, in 1821, a population of 2,646, and in 1831, 2,678 inhabitants.
Romily is a township, in the parish of Stockport, from which it is distant about four miles, situate on the hills bordering on the neighbouring county of Derby. Chadkirk chapel is in this township, nearly opposite to Marple hall; and there are chapels for independents and Wesleyan Methodists, the latter is also used as a Sunday-school. The living of Romily, or Chadkirk, is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the rector of Stockport. The number of inhabitants, in 1821, was 1,181, and in 1831, 1,290.
Compstall Bridge, a thriving village, in the parish of Stockport, is five miles from that town, and two from Marple. The principal employment of the inhabitants is cotton spinning, calico printing and weaving. The situation of this place is delightful, and, being surrounded by hills, cold is rarely felt here in its severity. No court in any of the neighbouring towns has jurisdiction over this place; a county court writ from Chester, being the only process that can be employed. The Wesleyan and primitive Methodists have each a chapel here, which are the only places of worship. Thirty years ago Compstall consisted of only a few straggling cottages, but since the establishment of the cotton manufacture, it has been gradually rising to its present thriving condition. The population is about 1,700.
POST OFFICE, Marple, Mary Bullivant, Post Mistress. - Letters arrive from Stockport every
afternoon about four, and are despatched every morning at eight.
POST OFFICE, Compstall Bridge, Thomas Dyson, Post Master. - Letters arrive from Stockport every afternoon at three, and are despatched every morning at seven. By this post letters are likewise conveyed to and from Mellor.
GENTRY & CLERGY.
Andrew George, esq. Green hill, Compstall Bridge
Barlow Mrs. Mary, Birch vale, Romily
Batley Rev. Joseph, Marple bridge
Bennett Rev. Thomas, Hatherlow
Bradley Mr. James, Green bank, Compstall Bridge
Bruckshaw Joshua, esq. Harryton
Clayton John, esq. Marple lodge
Freeman Rev. Matthew, Mellor
Hadfield Moses, esq. Mellor
Isherwood John, esq. Marple hall
Johnson Rev. William Wilbraham, Marple
Lees Thomas, esq. Townscliff, Mellor
Marriott Hyde, esq, Marple
Marriott Thomas, esq. Marple
Moult Mr. Emanuel, Marple
Mount Thomas, esq. Mellor hall
Orford Richard, esq. Marple
Orford Thomas, esq. Marple
Ratcliff Rev. Wm. Red brow, Romily
Rixson Jas. esq, Orange tree, Romily
Simpson Richard, esq. Mellor lodge
Swindells Mr. Peter, Marple
Tomlinson Mr. James, Cobden edge, Mellor
Walmsley Charles, esq. Marple
Wane Edw. esq. Rose hill, Marple
Wheeldon Henry, esq. Marple
Wright John, esq. Brabbin's hall
Wright William, esq. Marple
ACADEMIES & SCHOOLS.
Goddard John (brdg. & day) Marple
Hadfield John, Mellor
Hibbert Wm. Compstall Bridge
Hiles Benjamin, Compstall Bridge
Mann Richard, Marple
Matthewson Duncan, Compstall Bridge
National School, Marple - Joshua Ernill, master
Warren James, Mellor
ATTORNEYS.
Eccles Aaron, Marple
Paulden David, Marple
Walmsley Charles, Hollins, Marple
BLACKSMITHS.
Hartley Benjamin, Marple
Heywood Martha, Marple bridge
Ingham James, Marple
Mather John, Compstall Bridge
Seville Joseph, Mellor
Yarwood John, Marple bridge
BLEACHERS.
Brocklehurst Thomas, Mellor
Hartwell John, Roworth
BOBBIN TURNERS.
Hambleton Daniel, Mellor
Higinbottham John, Marple bridge
Stafford James, Mellor
Stafford William, Mellor
BOOT AND SHOE MAKERS.
Arnfield Thomas, Mellor
Bagshaw George, Mellor
Barker William, Marple bridge
Beard James, Marple bridge
Clark Edward, Compstall Bridge
Fielding Henry, Marple
Gregory John, Marple bridge
Hallam Joseph, Marple bridge
Hulme Henry, Marple
Norbury Joseph, Marple
Pearson Eli, Compstall Bridge
Ryley James, Roworth
Styles Charles, Mellor
Swindells James, Marple
Walker George, Compstall Bridge
BUTCHERS.
Boulton James, Marple bridge
Brindley Isaac, Compstall Bridge
Brindley Thomas, Marple
Greaves William, Compstall Bridge
Hand Thomas, Mellor
Howe Abraham, Marple bridge
Ratcliffe Wm. Compstall Bridge
Turner Thomas, Mellor
CALICO PRINTERS.
Addison & Siddall, Chadkirk
Andrew Edward & James, Compstall Bridge
COAL MERCHANTS.
Andrew George, Compstall Bridge
Clayton .& Brooke, Norbury
Jowett James & Jonathan, Compstall Bridge
Jowett Jonathan, Mellor
Tomlinson James, Shay marsh, Mellor
COTTON SPINNERS.
Andrew, Bruckshaw & Co. (& manufctrs. by power) Compstall Bdge
Brierley Jesse, Mellor
Clayton John & Co. Mellor
Froggatt George, Mellor
Ratcliffe Samuel, Mellor
Stanney John (and manufacturer by power) Mellor
Waller Thomas, Ralph & Samuel (& candle-wick makers) Mellor
Wild George, Roworth
COTTON WASTE DEALERS.
Stanney William, Mellor
Tomlinson William, Mellor
GROCERS &e.
See Shopkeepers and Dealers in Groceries, &c.
HATTERS.
Oldham Samuel, Marple bridge
Oldham Thos. Mellor
Ryle John & Son, Holehouse fold, Romily
JOINERS.
Bowden Josiah, Marple
Platt John, Marple bridge
Slack Thomas, Brookbottom
Torkington Thomas, Marple
Torkington Thomas, jun. Marple
LIME BURNERS.
Clayton John & Co. Marple
LINEN DRAPERS.
Bridge James, Marple
Cooper John, Compstall Bridge
MACHINE MAKERS.
Bowden Josiah, Marple
Haigh James, Roworth
MILLERS.
Bennett John, Ludworth
Handford Joseph, Marple bridge
MILLINERS & DRESS MAKERS.
Bunting Elizabeth, Marple bridge
Clark Susannah, Compstall Bridge
Goddard Ann, Marple bridge
Torkington Margaret, Marple
Warhurst Hannah, Compstall Bridge
Wild Elizabeth, Mellor
PICKER MAKERS.
Boden James, Mellor
Holden Samuel, Mellor
SADDLERS.
Gee Daniel, Marple bridge
Morris William, Marple
SHOPKEEPERS & DEALERS IN GROCERIES & SUNDRIES.
Alsop John, Marple
Baxter George, Marple bridge
Booth Henry, Romily
Booth Peter, Romily
Booth Sarah, Romily
Bridge James, Compstall Bridge
Bridge James, Marple
Brocklehurst Thomas, Compstall Bridge
Bullivant Mary, Marple
Chatterton John, Marple bridge
Cooper Joseph, Mellor
Cotterill James, Mellor
Froggatt Elizabeth, Mellor
Gee Joseph, Marple
Hadfield John, Roworth
Hambleton Joel, Mellor
Hawkyard Thos. Compstall Bridge
Heap John, Mellor
Jinks William, Marple
Kelsall Henry, Marple
Kirk John, Marple bridge
Marsland Robert, Marple
Norbury George, Marple
Oliver Samuel, Compstall Bridge
Pearson John, Mellor
Pickford Joseph, Mellor
Platt Anthony, Marple bridge
Platt Thomas, Compstall Bridge
Pollitt John, Romily
Ratcliffe Samuel, Mellor
Reece James, Roworth
Rowbottom James, Marple
Swindells James, Marple
Thompson William, Marple bridge
Waller Ralph, jun. Mellor
Warhurst James, Compstall Bridge
Woolley John, Compstall Bridge
Woolley Thomas, Romily
Woolley Thomas, Mellor
Woolley Thomas, jun. Mellor
STONE MASONS.
Ollerenshaw John (& slater) Mellor
Stafford Simeon, Mellor
SURGEONS.
Hibbert James, Marple bridge
Hibbert Peter, Marple
Tomlinson James, Mellor
Tomlinson William, Chapman’s fields, Ludworth
TAILORS.
Allen Thomas, Marple bridge
Brailsford Samuel, Mellor
Dawson James, Marple
Dawson Joseph, Marple
Gibbens Isaac, Marple bridge
Howden Thomas, Mellor
Jackson John, Marple
Jackson Joseph, Marple
Longley William, Compstall Bridge
Mason William, Marple
Wood Joseph, Compstall Bridge
TAVERNS & PUBLIC HOUSES.
Board, John Bennett, Ludworth
Board, George Boden, Roworth
Board, Nanny Tomlinson, Brookbottom, Mellor
Bowling Green, Robert Boden, Marple
Bull & Heifer, Samuel Booth, Romily
Bull’s Head, George Green, Marple
Bull’s Head, George Taylor, Marple
Church Inn,Thomas Woolley, Jun. Mellor
Craven Heifer, Thomas Bromily, Romily
Devonshire Arms, George Froggatt, Mellor
Foresters’ Arms, John Hough, Romily
Fox, John Howard, Brookbottom, Mellor
Greyhound, Samuel Swindells, Romily
Hare & Hounds, Chas. Addison, Marple
Hare & Hounds, Joseph Brierley, Mellor
Hare & Hounds, Nathl. Fox, Marple bridge
Hare & Hounds, John Shaw, Roworth
Hare & Hounds, Mary Woodruff, Chadkirk
Horse Shoe, Robert Bradbury, Marple
Horse Shoe, John Wright, Marple bridge
Jolly Sailor, Joseph Rowbottom, Marple
Junction Inn, Thomas Hyde, Roworth
King’s Head, Margaret Gee, Romily
Navigation, James Chatterton, Marple
Norfolk Arms, Jas. Boulton, Marple bridge
Odd Fellows’ Arms, Abrm. Heap, Mellor
Railway, Samuel Oldham, Marple bridge
Royal Oak, William Shaw, Mellor
Shuttle, Thomas Shaw, Compstall Bridge
Sportsman’s Arms, Geo. Hudson, Mellor
Wellington, Thomas Hand, Mellor
RETAILERS of BEER
Archer Daniel, Marple bridge
Axon Thomas, Romily
Bates James, Mellor
Bennett Joseph, Marble
Booth Peter, Romily
Bridges Ottiwell, Mellor
Bunting John, Mellor
Hambleton Joel, Mellor
Handforth Matthew, Mellor
Higginbottom Peter, Compstall Bridge
Holden Samuel, Mellor
Kinsey Lownds, Marple
Moors Thomas, Compstall Bridge
Ratcliffe James, Compstall Bridge
Reece James, Roworth
Shaw Samuel, Compstall Bridge
Stanney Robert, Marple bridge
Twist Mary, Compstall Bridge
Warhurst James, Compstall Bridge
WHEELWRIGHTS.
Broadhurst Samuel, Marple
Longson James, Mellor
Morten John, Marple
Pott Joseph, Marple
MISCELLANEOUS
Atkin Isaac, auctioneer, Marple bridge
Bates James, painter, Mellor
Bridges Ottiwell, tallow chandler, Marple
Chadwick Jermh. Baker, Compstall Bridge
Frith William, boat builder, Marple
Hall John, cotton banding maker, Mellor
Howard Samuel, builder, Mellor
Hyde Thomas, gunsmith, Marple
Middleton Richard (executors of the late), plumber and glazier, Marple bridge
Mitchell Isaac, millwright, Marple bridge
Osbaldiston William, cow leech, Marple
Rowbottom Eli, overseer, Marple
Swindells William, currier, &c. Marple
Walker John, bookkeeper to the Peak Forest Canal Company, Marple
Washington Henry, bookkeeper to the Macclesfield Canal Company, Marple
Watters Geo. clothes dlr, Compstall Bridge
COACHES.
To MANCHESTER, a Coach (from New Mills) calls at the Jolly Sailor, Marple, every Tuesday and Saturday morning; goes through Stockport.
To STOCKPORT, a Coach (from New Mills) calls at the Jolly Sailor, Marple, every Friday morning at nine.
***, Both these coaches return to New Mills (through Marple) the same evenings about six.
CARRIERS.
To MANCHESTER, James Platt, from Marple bridge, every Tuesday,
To STOCKPORT, John Handford, daily, and John Seville, every Friday, both from Mellor.

NEW MILLS (Derbyshire), DISLEY (Cheshire)
AND NEIGHBOURHOODS.
NEW MILLS, an extensive hamlet, in the parish of Glossop, and in the High Peak hundred, is 14 miles from Manchester, 6 from Chapel-en-le-Frith, and 8 from Stockport. It is pleasantly situate on the borders of Derbyshire and Cheshire; and, within a comparatively few years, has risen to importance in the manufacturing district; cotton spinning being carried on hereto a considerable extent, affording employment to numerous hands. The factories are in a great measure hid from public view in passing through the village, being built at the foot of the stream, under high towering rocks. Good house coal, as well as other kinds for the purposes of machinery, is obtained near to the village, the top bed' strata running from sixteen to twenty inches thick. The village is built chiefly upon a stone quarry, but the soil in many-parts is fertile, producing good crops of wheat and potatoes. A new road which has been lately formed to join the Buxton road, will doubtless prove a great accommodation.
The places of worship are, a new church, erected within these few years, and chapels for the use of the Methodists’ old connexion, primitive Methodists, and Calvinists. The church is a handsome building of stone, in the Gothic style, and is dedicated to St. George. The cost of its erection amounted to about £3,500., the parliamentary commissioners having granted £2,500 in aid of the work: the ground for its site was given by Lord George Cavendish. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Derby, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, and in the patronage of the vicar of Glossop. The edifice contains about 500 free sittings. A charity school, for the gratuitous instruction of nine poor children, is in the hamlet of Whittle, and there is an allotment of
land for the support of another school. The name of New Mills does not appear in the. parliamentary population returns. It was originally known as Bowden-Middle-Call, comprising seven hamlets : about a century ago it was subdivided, three of the hamlets remaining attached to Hayfield, and the other four, Beard, Olerset, Whittle and Thornsett, being formed into a township. A new mill was then erected for the use of the inhabitants of these hamlets, upon the river Kinder, and the name of New Mills was, in consequence, conferred on the four before-mentioned hamlets - which, by the returns for 1831, contained, together, 3,538 inhabitants.
Disley, or Distley, anciently spelt Dystelegh-Stanlegh, is a village and chapelry, in the hundred of Macclesfield and parish of Stockport, about six miles s. e. of the latter town. In the time of Edward I. Disley was held by Jordan de Dystelegh, and a hamlet on the north side, by Grym de Stanlegh ; hence the compound modern appellation of Disley-Stanley. The situation of the village is very pleasant, on the immediate borders of Derbyshire, upon the high road to Sheffield : a respectable, convenient inn and posting- house, the Ram's Head, is in the village. St. Mary’s chapel here was rebuilt in 1558; it consists of a nave and chancel, with a stone tower, containing a ling of six bells; the chancel and vestry are of brick : in the chancel window are some beautiful specimens of heraldic stained glass : the curate is the Rev. William Greswell. Several cotton spinning and printing works are in the neighbourhood. Lyme hall, the seat of Thomas Leigh, Esq. is in this chapelry. In 1821, Disley contained 1,533 inhabitants, and by the last returns, made in the year 1831, the number had increased to 2,037.
POST OFFICE, New Mills, Adam Brierley, Post Master. - Letters from Stockport arrive every afternoon at five, and are despatched every morning at a quarter before seven.
GENTRY AND CLERGY.
Barnes Mr. John,Tor top, New Mills
Bennett Mr. Richard, New Mills
Bridge Mrs. Alice, New Mills
Bridge Mr. John, New Mills
Carlile Rev. Irving, Strawberry hill, New Mills
Greswell Rev. William, Disley
Hancock Mr. William, Disley
Legh Thomas, esq. Lyme hall, Disley
Marriott Rev. William, Disley
Newton George William, esq. Aspenshaw hall, New Mills
Orford Richard, esq. High lane, near Disley
Orford Thomas, esq. High lane, near Disley
Schofield Mr. Robert, New Mills
Simon Rev. Samuel, New Mills
Taylor Mr. John, Olerset hall, near New Mills
Turner Mr. Wm. Henry, New Mills
ACADEMIES & SCHOOLS.
Emery John Frederick, Disley
Hadfield Robert, New Mills
Milner Hannah, New Mills
Simon Rev. Samuel, New Mills
BLACKSMITHS.
Lomas John, Disley
Lydiot Thomas, Thornsett
Pearson James, New Mills
Whyatt John, New Mills
BOOT AND SHOE MAKERS.
Beard John, New Mills
Brown Joseph, New Mills
Burton John, New Mills
Clayton Joseph, Disley
Gregorey George, New Mills
Hadfield John, New Mills
Marsland John, Disley
Taylor James, New Mills
Wheatley Edward, New Mills
BUTCHERS.
Bennett Jonathan, New Mills
Coates John, New Mills
Higinbottom George, New Mills
Oldfield Joshua, New Mills
Sidebottom James, New Mills
Taylor James, Disley
CALICO PRINTERS.
Barlow George, Wood end, Disley
Ingham James & Co. New Mills
Loyd & Price, Furness, Disley
Oldham Thomas (assignees of) Garrison, New Mills
The Strines Printing Company, Strines, near Disley;
CANDLE-WICK MAKERS.
Gibson Joseph, New Mills
Hibbert Thomas, New Mills
Stafford John, New Mills
Thatcher Robert and William, New Mills
Thornely John, New Mills
Ward William, New Mills
Wood James, New Mills
COTTON BANDING MANUTRS
Chadwick James, New Mills
Stafford John & Joseph, New Mills
COTTON SPINNERS.
Marked thus * are also Manufacturers.
Armstrong Saml. Tor top, New Mills
* Barnes Thomas & Co. New Mills
* Moseley and Howard, Waterside, Disley
Sheldon John, Tor mill, New Mills
* Thatcher Robert and William, New Mills
ENGRAVERS TO CALICO PRINTERS.
Potts John, St. George’s works, New Mills
Ralston James, Disley
GROCERS & TEA DEALERS.
(See also Shopkeepers, &c.)
Berry James, New Mills
Bridge Charles, New Mills
Brierley Adam (and druggist) New Mills
Fell Jacob, jun. New Mills
Sidebottom James (and druggist) New Mills
INNS.
Crown, William Ward, New Mills
George (and commercial) Samuel Bower, New Mills
Masons’ Arms, Jordan Bradbury, New Mills
Ram’s Head, Edward Stocker, Disley
White Lion, Jesse Howard, Disley
IRON FOUNDER.
May William, New Mills
JOINERS AND BUILDERS.
Howard Samuel, Disley
Waterhouse John, New Mills
LINEN DRAPERS.
Bridge Charles, New Mills
Fell Jacob, jun. New Mills
Gregorey George, New Mills
Sidebottom James, New Mills
Warren Hannah, New Mills
MILLINERS & DRESS MAKRS.
Chadwick Hannah, New Mills
Mason Ann, New Mills
Williamson Mary Ann, New Mills
PAINTERS AND GLAZIERS.
Alsop Joseph, New Mills
Ardern William,Disley
Kimer Edward, New Mills
SADDLERS.
Pearson George, New Mills
Platt John, Disley
Wheatley Edward, New Mills
SHOPKEEPERS & DEALERS IN GROCERIES AND SUNDRIES.
Beard John, New Mills
Bentley Thomas, Thornsett
Bowers John, New Mills
Dunderdale Jonathan, Disley
Elliott Edmund, Disley
Forbes Daniel, Disley
Hallam Thomas, Disley
Higinbottom Wright, New Mills
Lomas George, Disley
Moseley Mary & Rebecca, Thornsett
Norbury George, High lane, Disley
Stafford Thomas, New Mills
Ward Samuel, New Mills
Warren Peter, New Mills
Whittaker David, Disley
Wild Rebecca, New Mills
Williamson James, New Mills
SILK PRINTER.
Potts John, St. George’s works, New Mills
STONE MASONS.
Brelsford James, Disley
Brelsford James, jun. Disley
Joule Joseph, New Mills
Mason Robert, New Mills
Pott Thomas, New Mills
Stafford George, New Mills
Stafford Obadiah, New Mills
SURGEONS.
Crossley Edward, Disley
Hibbert John, New Mills
Moseley George Mitchell,Thornsett
Tomlinson John, Disley
TAILORS.
Burton Benjamin, New Mills
Fletcher George, Disley
Hibbert James, New Mills
Higinbottom William, New Mills
Hulton Nathan, New Mills
Longson William, New Mills
Simpson Chadwick, Disley
Woolley Joseph, New Mills
TAVERNS & PUBLIC HOUSES.
Bull’s Head, William Goddard, New Mills
Bull’s Head, Geo. Green, High lane, Disley
Calico Printers’ Arms, Nancy Bradburn, Thornsett
Cock, James Sidebottom, New Mills
Dog and Partridge, Joseph Higinbottom, New Mills
Grapes, John Thornley, New Mills
Green Man, John Stafford, New Mills
Hare and Hounds, William Greenwood, New Mills
Horse Shoes, Robert Bradbury, High lane, Disley
Red Lion, Wm Ardern, High lane, Disley
Ring of Bells, William Holdgate, Disley
Soldier Dick, Joseph Gould, Furness
Waggon and Horses, Sarah Williamson, High lane, Disley
White Hart, Samuel Goddard, New Mills
White Horse, William Moore, Disley
RETAILERS of BEER.
Bate William, Thornsett
Bowden Samuel, New Mills
Brierley Adam, New Mills
Falkner John, High lane, Disley
Garrett William, New Mills
Hibbert Thomas, New Mills
Higinbottom George, New Mills
Higinbottom John, New Mills
Isherwood William, Disley
Pearson Stephen, New Mills
Stafford George, New Mills
Swindells John, Disley
Whittaker Sarah, Disley
WHEELWRIGHTS.
Holdgate Thomas, Disley
Thomas William, Thornsett
MISCELLANEOUS.
Armfield Jno. hat manufacturer. New Mills
Barrow Daniel, bailiff to Thomas Legh, esq. of Lyme park, Disley
Brown Samuel, watch, &c. maker, New Mills
Cross Joseph, parish clerk, New Mills
Green Wm. wharfinger, High lane, Disley
Hartwell John, bleacher, Thornsett
Higinbottom Jos. auctioneer, New Mills
Lidster John, attorney, New Mills
M'Rea Geo. tin-plate worker, New Mills
Marsh George, rag dealer, New Mills
Marsland John, parish clerk, Disley
Mason Henry, machine broker, New Mills
Poyser Elizabeth, ironmonger,New Mills
Shallcross Jno. clog & patten mkr. New Mills
Worrall Jas. road surveyor, High la, Disley
Wright Joseph, plumber, &c. New Mills
COACHES.
All call at the Ram’s Head Inn, Disley, when not otherwise mentioned.
To LONDON, the Royal Bruce (from Manchester) every afternoon at a quarter before two; goes through Buxton, Bakewell, Matlock, Belper, Duffield, Derby, Leicester, Northampton, Market Harborough, &c. - and the Peveril of the Peak, at same time; goes the same route as the Bruce to Market Harborough, and thence through Bedford, Hitchin, &c.
To BUXTON, coaches several times a day, during the season - see also London and Nottingham.
To MANCHESTER, the Lord Nelson and the Lady Nelson (from Nottingham) every day at half-past twelve - the Wellington (from Sheffield) every day at half-past one - the Champion (from Nottingham) every afternoon at half-past two - the Royal Bruce and the Peveril (from London) and the Tally-Ho (from Newark) every afternoon at three - and the Mercury, from the Masons’ Arms, New Mills, every Tuesday & Saturday mornings at 7 ; all go thro' Stockport.
To NEWARK, the Tally-Ho (from Manchester) every forenoon at half past ten; goes through Burton, Bakewell, Baslow, Chesterfield, Mansfield, &c.
To NOTTINGHAM, the Lord Nelson and the Lady Nelson (from Manchester) every forenoon at half-past eleven; both go through Buxton, Bakewell, Matlock, Belper, Duffield, Derby, &c. - and the Champion (from Manchester) every forenoon at half-past ten; goes through Chapel-en-le-Frith, Chesterfield, Mansfield, &c.
To SHEFFIELD, the Wellington (from Manchester) every day at half-past one ; goes through Chapel-en-le-Frith, Castleton, Hope, Hathersage, &c.
CARRIERS.
To STOCKPORT, Thomas Hallam from Disley, every Tuesday & Friday - and Jesse Wilde, from New Mills, every Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

Navigation

Button image GJH.me Home Page. Button image History Resources Page.


Last updated: 13 February 2017